Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Spyware/Malware- need help! - 05-23-2010, 01:16 PM

DH and I each have a Mini10v- His running XP, mine Win 7. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on both when we first got them. His has some nasty spyware/malware now that won't let him access the internet. I told him if he junks up his netbook it is his responsibility to fix it, but I hate watching him struggle Since we don't have a USB dvd drive, what options do I have to get an anti-spyware program on it? We do have several other laptops in the house- Vista, a couple with Xp, and Snow Leopard.
I have always been able to clean up whatever messes he made with AdAware or SPybot in the past. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 05-23-2010, 01:18 PM

If he's running XP, try ComboFix. If you don't have a USB flash drive to put it on you should be able to copy it from another machine via networking (it's rare that malware breaks networking so badly that you can't access shares.)

ComboFix | freeware

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default 05-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
If he's running XP, try ComboFix. If you don't have a USB flash drive to put it on you should be able to copy it from another machine via networking (it's rare that malware breaks networking so badly that you can't access shares.)

ComboFix | freeware
Thanks! As soon as I posted I thought about a USB Flash drive... I have MalwareBytes running now and I'll try ComboFix if that doesn't do the trick
It looks like he got infected with antispyware soft.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-26-2010, 07:38 AM

That's the reason we all use MAc OS X

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X Snow Leopard | 250GB hard drive | 1GB RAM and I love it!!!!
Snow Leopard makes my Intel Atom feel like an i7!
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Sure - the OS with more security holes than the others combined.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 06-01-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthak View Post
That's the reason we all use MAc OS X
No, the reason to use it is to show off. Apple cares about security way less than Microsoft. Remember the Java flaw they refused to patch?

Dell Mini 10v | Bios A06 | 2GB RAM | 40GB SSD w/ OS X 10.6.7 | 6-Cell Battery | NBI 0.8.5pre