Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default 10.6.6 unique problem? - 01-13-2011, 05:20 AM

I think this is different than the other problems posted.

I updated from a new install of SL, and did the combo update. I'd run the proper version of NBI beforehand.

It boots, and gets almost all the way to the end, but hangs right before bringing up the finder. I see the background image, and the mouse cursor. It alternates cursor/spinning color wheel. I let it go about 10 minutes, but it keeps the same pattern. Suggestions?

TIA
  (#2) Old

Default 01-13-2011, 04:48 PM

actually had someone else with this very problem a few days ago. couldn't figure it out.

only thing i could suggest is

recovery=y

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#3) Old

Default 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM

does it get to the log in page? if so instead of typing in your user name and password type ">Console" (no quotes) enter this will by pass the GUI and take you to the command line, any issues might be flagged up here.

osx boots in four main stages (you seem to be getting through Chameleons emulator stage okay, however that doesn't mean missing dependancies aren't fouling up things further on)

firmware (NBI)
booter
kernel
system launchd (this is where your os hangs?)

then moves to user session

user launchd (or here?)
user environment

but as oscar surgests try a simple "recovery=y" and re run NBI first, it's usually a good fix all in most cases.

nope not quite unique I tried pulling the HDA_Audio kext from OSX.6.3 and patching it to OSX.6.5 with about the same results you are getting now.

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#4) Old

Default 01-17-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixz View Post
does it get to the log in page? if so instead of typing in your user name and password type ">Console" (no quotes) enter this will by pass the GUI and take you to the command line, any issues might be flagged up here.

osx boots in four main stages (you seem to be getting through Chameleons emulator stage okay, however that doesn't mean missing dependancies aren't fouling up things further on)

firmware (NBI)
booter
kernel
system launchd (this is where your os hangs?)

then moves to user session
I think this is the point that it is hanging. I can boot to a command line, but can't get to a login

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixz View Post
but as oscar surgests try a simple "recovery=y" and re run NBI first, it's usually a good fix all in most cases.
now.
I suppose I will try that, though I have not figured out how to get a command line on the Chameleon boot screen.
  (#5) Old

Default 01-17-2011, 07:02 AM

I suppose I will try that, though I have not figured out how to get a command line on the Chameleon boot screen.

as soon as you boot press shift ... you'll stop at the grey chameleon page, just type "recovery=y" no quotes then hit eneter you should get to your desktop if all goes well run NBI reboot..

good luck..

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#6) Old

Default 01-18-2011, 06:21 AM

;-(
Didn't work with recovery=y
  (#7) Old

Default 01-24-2011, 06:03 AM

I now have a working 10.6.0 install again. I used my install disk and asked it to repair my install. After an hour it told me it couldn't install on my boot disk. I rebooted (with the install disk still attached) and, other than hosing my admin password, I have everything the way things were before I did the combo update.

I'm wondering now if the safer update path is to go to 10.6.4 first? If so, the only updates on the Apple web site seem to be specific to one or another Mac model (eg, Mac mini). Would any of those work?

Thanks
  (#8) Old

Default 01-24-2011, 07:23 AM

10.6.4 combo update:
Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)

Btw here's the link for the NBI you should be using also:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
  (#9) Old

Default 01-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
10.6.4 combo update:
Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)

Btw here's the link for the NBI you should be using also:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/
Netbo...212351.app.zip
Thanks for the link.
I've been using that NBI from the start, so pretty sure that's not the problem!
  (#10) Old

Default 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth View Post
Thanks for the link.
I've been using that NBI from the start, so pretty sure that's not the problem!
that's one thing that totally baffles me about this hackintosh business.. why is it 2 users can have the same machine, use the same software, go through the same process, and end up with different results? so strange.. obviously there must be something different. but the difference is invisible.... just a thought.. i mean, i jumped from 10.6 straight to 10.6.6 with that NBI.....

GL