Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#31) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 09:21 AM

I was thinking about getting this super tiny flash drive

8GB NANO USB Flash Drive (NANOUSB-8G ) Innodisk

and using windows 7 ready boost all the time. I have heard about some really big speed boosts using ready boost on systems with only 2GB Ram but i dont know if the usb port cover will close with it in there. But in pictures the Duo looks like it has some room and this is the absolute shortest usb flash drive or micro sd card reader i can find.

So do you guys think the usb port cover will close with this thing in there? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  (#32) Old

Angry 12-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsw8148 View Post
Ordered on November 23rd.

It said that it wouldnt ship until the 8th of December, looks like I lucked out.
I ordered on the same date via MS Store and STILL waiting on mine.
  (#33) Old

Default 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obento View Post
I was thinking about getting this super tiny flash drive

8GB NANO USB Flash Drive (NANOUSB-8G ) Innodisk

and using windows 7 ready boost all the time. I have heard about some really big speed boosts using ready boost on systems with only 2GB Ram but i dont know if the usb port cover will close with it in there. But in pictures the Duo looks like it has some room and this is the absolute shortest usb flash drive or micro sd card reader i can find.

So do you guys think the usb port cover will close with this thing in there? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I know, I know, I am quoting myself. But apparently i am much more excited about getting my Duo than everyone else.

Anyway after reading up more about how affective ready boost is i went ahead and bought the previously mentioned flash drive. After staring at the only pictures i could find on goggle i think the flap might not close all he way but after reading many review's of ready boost i am willing to work with the flap open when i need it. Most sites report a 20% increase in performance using ready boost so that could be huge factor in usability.

Anyway i am looking forward to posting some reviews of whatever tweaks i make and what benefits i can see. I will use it for at least a day before i try to enhance anything so i can get a good base feeling. I really hope all of the website reviews are just being Ipad lovers and not giving the Duo the respect it deserves. We will see.
  (#34) Old

Default 12-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I know, I know, I am quoting myself. But apparently i am much more excited about getting my Duo than everyone else.

Anyway after reading up more about how affective ready boost is i went ahead and bought the previously mentioned flash drive. After staring at the only pictures i could find on goggle i think the flap might not close all he way but after reading many review's of ready boost i am willing to work with the flap open when i need it. Most sites report a 20% increase in performance using ready boost so that could be huge factor in usability.

Anyway i am looking forward to posting some reviews of whatever tweaks i make and what benefits i can see. I will use it for at least a day before i try to enhance anything so i can get a good base feeling. I really hope all of the website reviews are just being Ipad lovers and not giving the Duo the respect it deserves. We will see.
as a tech currently with 3 netbooks, an ipad, 3 laptops, macs , ipod touches, a pile of palm pda's... I can say that the dell duo is an awesome device without bias.

a word of advice is that the "base feeling" is bogged down with dell software. I would remove the dell stage and the stock virus protection first so that the device becomes somewhat usable on the first day.

from the pictures of the memory stick, It looks like it should fit pretty well under the flap. However ready boost works better on devices with limited ram. I use it to use windows 7 on a computer that has only 512mb of ram. The dell duo has 2gb of ram, which is more than enough to run everything from internet, office, music and videos. Ready Boost
would only work if you were doing things like movie editing or intensive gaming or 50+tabs of Internet Explorer.

Dont worry, Im sure your going to love your Dell Duo

Im currently writing a blog on the many changes I made to my Dell Duo. it will be up by the end of the week.

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery
  (#35) Old

Default 12-28-2010, 03:00 AM

Freaking UPS. Normally California to California is 1 business day, but MS shipped mine on the 23rd. UPS froze solid for the next three days. Today it's in my town. But scheduled for delivery on the 29th. WTF???
  (#36) Old

Default 01-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Wow, what a perfect thread name... I got mine today!!!!! Oh and love it!!
  (#37) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to pappyfire
Default 01-07-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I took the silly thing off my Duo. If you have a USB device that's very thick at all like a USB 3G broadband modem for example, the port cover makes the Duo not lay flat.
  (#38) Old

Default 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM

I've had it awhile now and just keep getting more and more fed up with its lack of power and crappy battery life. I know its a netbook, but it wont even play minecraft very smoothly. The novelty of the flip screen has worn off and I barely ever use it as a tablet.

I would not recommend this to anybody unless I was trying to sell it to them.
  (#39) Old

Default 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I've had it awhile now and just keep getting more and more fed up with its lack of power and crappy battery life. I know its a netbook, but it wont even play minecraft very smoothly. The novelty of the flip screen has worn off and I barely ever use it as a tablet.

That is a shame - I know what you mean, but I must admit mine spends most of its time plugged in either by my sofa, or in the dock in my kitchen.

Smoothness is software related rather than hardware. My brief plays with the open source versions of Android have demonstrated that the hardware can do better. Hopefully some ongoing development may improve this. Dont forget that MS are rather late to the game of touchscreen - it may yet improve

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#40) Old

Default 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Minecraft doesnt work well on any netbook from my own observations...
Even though Minecraft looks like a simple game, it is quite CPU intensive.

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery