Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#151) Old

Default 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Did anyone get this to work? I had perfect sound out (on a Dell Mini, 10.6.3, latest NBI) but no sound in. I'd like to be able to use this for iChat, so sound in is necessary.

I tried Akki's method, but got only pops and still no sound in. I tried putting in TheDoctah's AppleHDA and running the update Extras, but that gave no sound in or out. So, I reverted to my original AppleHDA and DSDT, but now I'm getting a loud speaker hiss and no sound in (though my sound out is back). Any ideas?
  (#152) Old

Default 04-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
Did anyone get this to work? I had perfect sound out (on a Dell Mini, 10.6.3, latest NBI) but no sound in. I'd like to be able to use this for iChat, so sound in is necessary.

I tried Akki's method, but got only pops and still no sound in. I tried putting in TheDoctah's AppleHDA and running the update Extras, but that gave no sound in or out. So, I reverted to my original AppleHDA and DSDT, but now I'm getting a loud speaker hiss and no sound in (though my sound out is back). Any ideas?
Ok, I am not sure what part of "it works" is confusing, but for good measure, I will state it one more time:

For 10.6.2 AND 10.6.3 (but not for 10.6.1)

Built in microphone: Works
Built in Audio: Works
Line out: Works
Line in (microphone): Works

No pops, no clicks, no issues.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way, let's see. The instructions on the first page are updated for 10.6.3. I have also added complete instructions to do this in the thread. Now, other people have added files and further instructions, and I welcome and appreciate this collective effort, as it certainly makes it easier for people who may not be as familiar with what's required to do. However, I have not individually tested each of these submissions. If you could not make them work, go back to the first page, and follow the ORIGINAL instructions to the letter. The submissions that many folks graciously provided can provide the needed files.
  (#153) Old

Default 04-04-2010, 09:54 AM

No need for sarcasm, my man. Perhaps I'm "confused", but it is not working.

I did a fresh install of the latest NBI. I then followed the instructions on the first page to the letter (perhaps that's my problem? There are three sets of instructions. I tried the first.

The second set of instructions states: "This modification also works with the 10.6.3. Here are the instructions if you already had done this modification with 10.6.2". I haven't - I'm on 10.6.3 and am trying to get sound in for the first time. I have not attempted this before with 10.6.2.

The third set states , "If you had not done this before and you are still on 10.6.2, then". Again, this doesn't apply.

Though there is now apparent sound in (under "DevShortNameIn"), there are "pops, clicks, and issues". Pops every few seconds, a low speaker hiss, and a really loud hiss about once every 2 minutes.

What's worse is, even if I try to undo the changes and reinstall NBI (giving up sound in), there are still pops and the low speaker hiss. Any suggestions?
  (#154) Old

Default 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
The third set states , "If you had not done this before and you are still on 10.6.2, then".
Follow the third as the first few steps are about upgrading to 10.6.3, and then doing the hack.

Quote:
Though there is now apparent sound in (under "DevShortNameIn"), there are "pops, clicks, and issues". Pops every few seconds, a low speaker hiss, and a really loud hiss about once every 2 minutes.

What's worse is, even if I try to undo the changes and reinstall NBI (giving up sound in), there are still pops and the low speaker hiss. Any suggestions?
I do not think you have a virgin 10.6.3 / meklort install. Have you tried 'fixing' the audio before through some other method? I suspect remnants of that modification is still floating around and giving you these issues. You have two options:

- completely revert what you done before (voodoohda or whatever it was)
- or reinstall everything and re-attemp.

PS. Pops and clicks are signature issues with the voodoohda.
  (#155) Old

Default 04-07-2010, 04:19 AM

Hi, a quick question please.

I'm currently on 10.6.0 (I used NetBookMaker) with the sound issue{s} so have to upgrade first. I notice that the instructions are for updating having used 0.8.3 RC5.

Is this still the preferred route, i.e. should I go to 10.6.3 using 0.8.3 or should I use 0.8.4 {and would the instructions still work}

If I use 0.8.3 - should I follow points 1-11 on page 1 of this thread?

Sorry for the newbie questions - I would be very grateful for any advice.

many thanks,

migmow
  (#156) Old
Expert Member

Default 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migmow View Post
Hi, a quick question please.

I'm currently on 10.6.0 (I used NetBookMaker) with the sound issue{s} so have to upgrade first. I notice that the instructions are for updating having used 0.8.3 RC5.

Is this still the preferred route, i.e. should I go to 10.6.3 using 0.8.3 or should I use 0.8.4 {and would the instructions still work}

If I use 0.8.3 - should I follow points 1-11 on page 1 of this thread?

Sorry for the newbie questions - I would be very grateful for any advice.

many thanks,

migmow
One route that worked for me was to get 10.6.3/0.8.4 working and then use the steps here. I've got a packaged up version in my sig of the tools/kexts I used.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#157) Old

Default 04-11-2010, 01:06 AM

Thank you - I'll give this a go.

Many thanks,

Migmow
  (#158) Old

Default Extreme Noob Question - 04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Okay, let me preface this by saying I am brand new to the scene of putting Snow Leopard on my Dell Mini 9. Just did it yesterday. With 10.6.0, everything works except for the mic. I plan on updating it to 10.6.2 if I can get the mic to work as well. For getting the mic to work, I have tried a number of guides that showed me how to replace kexts, but the problem was then when I rebooted the computer, I would get stuck in a restart loop (the computer wouldn't get past the gray apple boot-up screen before telling my I had to restart it). Hence, I reformatted and again installed Snow Leopard as a fresh install. This has happened twice to me now. I apologize for my ignorance, for I realize that computers are not my forte, I just want to get the mic working right.

My question is, when I update to 10.6.2, do I need to download a new version of netbook installer? I currently have 0.8.3. And if that is the case, I looked at the steps on the first page of this discussion, and for someone who is not very familiar with a lot of the lingo concerning macs, could anyone be able to just give a step by step, layman's term guide?

Thank you all for your time.
  (#159) Old

Default 04-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue24 View Post
Okay, let me preface this by saying I am brand new to the scene of putting Snow Leopard on my Dell Mini 9. Just did it yesterday. With 10.6.0, everything works except for the mic. I plan on updating it to 10.6.2 if I can get the mic to work as well. For getting the mic to work, I have tried a number of guides that showed me how to replace kexts, but the problem was then when I rebooted the computer, I would get stuck in a restart loop (the computer wouldn't get past the gray apple boot-up screen before telling my I had to restart it). Hence, I reformatted and again installed Snow Leopard as a fresh install. This has happened twice to me now. I apologize for my ignorance, for I realize that computers are not my forte, I just want to get the mic working right.

My question is, when I update to 10.6.2, do I need to download a new version of netbook installer? I currently have 0.8.3. And if that is the case, I looked at the steps on the first page of this discussion, and for someone who is not very familiar with a lot of the lingo concerning macs, could anyone be able to just give a step by step, layman's term guide?

Thank you all for your time.
Simple:

1- Upgrade to 10.6.3 saving the AppleHDA.kext mentioned in the instructions along the way. Otherwise, you can obtain it here as well. I would use the 0.8.4, last version. Run it prior prior to going combo upgrade to 10.6.3, then rerun it before the audio modifications. Reboot and make sure everything is ok before you begin.
2- Modify the kexts / dsdt per the first page of this guide or use one of the step-by-step guides posted by others here. There is even one two posts up from this post.

Good luck.
  (#160) Old

Default Thank you! - 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Simple:

1- Upgrade to 10.6.3 saving the AppleHDA.kext mentioned in the instructions along the way. Otherwise, you can obtain it here as well. I would use the 0.8.4, last version. Run it prior prior to going combo upgrade to 10.6.3, then rerun it before the audio modifications. Reboot and make sure everything is ok before you begin.
2- Modify the kexts / dsdt per the first page of this guide or use one of the step-by-step guides posted by others here. There is even one two posts up from this post.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. This worked perfectly. I used your instructions in conjunction with a guide I downloaded from a few posts above. I first did the combo update to go from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3, and the only thing that concerned me was how long it took to install 10.6.3. At the very end of the installation, when it said 1 minute remaining, it probably took about 40 actual minutes. But after that, I ran NBI, rebooted, and then followed the instructions. Mic and sound all work perfectly. Thanks again!

Tags
audio microphone snow