3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default Dell 5530 on Windows 7 with working GPS - 09-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Thought I should make a contribution since you guys helped me!

Thanks to Carolina's post I got the Dell 5530 GPS working in XP but Windows 7 was a different kettle of fish. As I couldn't see any confirmed reports of the GPS working in Windows 7 I decided to take the initiative myself, I can confirm it now works! I'm using the XPS M1330 but I can't see any reason why this won't work on the Minis.

Basically, I downloaded the Dell 5530 Windows 7 drivers for the Latitude E6400 and modified the installers to remove the machine check. This installs the driver and the WMCore service which is required for the Dell Mobile Broadband Manager to work. You don't need to use the MBM for HSPA connections as the native Windows 7 support works.

For the GPS, I downloaded the Mobile Broadband Manager, also for the E6400. I had to modify the installer to remove the GPS check. When it is installed, you will have the GPS option on the left. However it won't work, you'll get a "GPS not supported" error. That's where the next bit comes in. You must modify a registry value to get the GPS to work.

As I can't post any links yet I'll explain how I did it. I'll post a link when I can, in case you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself.

1: Download R251153.exe from Dell

2: Clear out your %temp% folder

3: Run the setup until you get the error that the card is not supported. Open the %temp% folder

4: Look for the folder which contains "Dell Wireless HSPA Mini-Card Drivers.msi" and copy the entire folder to a safe location. Exit the installer.

5: Using Microsoft Orca, open the MSI file and delete the following actions:

Code:
CustomAction > Authenticate
InstallExecuteSequence > Authenticate
InstallUISequence > Authenticate

CustomAction > CheckGPSSupport
InstallExecuteSequence > CheckGPSSupport
Now save the MSI file.

8: Run the MSI file you just edited. It should install now.

9: Download the Mobile Broadband Manager for the Latitude E6400 from Dell, filename is DELL_MULTI-DEVICE_A07_R262123.exe. You'll need to modify it in the same way as the driver, otherwise the GPSUtility.exe file will not be copied and the GPS option will be missing.

10: If you attempt to fire up MBM you'll see the GPS link on the left. However if you click it, you'll get a GPS not supported error. At this point you'll need to change a registry value:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WMCore]
"GPSSupport"=dword:00000000
11: Reboot just to be sure.

12: Now start up MBM and enter your SIM PIN if you have one. Once the card intialises, click the GPS link and you should be in business.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Do appreciate you hard work/dig.

I have apply your step to E6520 + 5530 (originally from Dell Mini 10) under windows 7 64 bit, both Mobile broadband and GPS works!

the only difference is, for 64 bit, the location of registry is:
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\WMCore
and you might need to add the key/value (as in my case which does not exist yet.)

Last edited by lu408; 10-01-2011 at 10:34 PM.
  (#3) Old

Default 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM

No problem!

I actually realised recently that if the registry value doesn't exist then you don't need it. I just had it left over from another install while testing, it was set to 1 which disables the GPS. I since did a clean install and when just using the E6400 packages the value was missing and it worked anyway.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Okay, here's some drivers which I already modified, install em and go!

Dell 5530 modded drivers

Here's a screenshot of it working.

As I mentioned in the previous post, you may not need the registry mod unless you have some remnants of old drivers on the system - you certainly won't need it with a clean Windows install.
  (#5) Old

Default 11-20-2011, 03:27 AM

Hi folks i have all the drivers I have gps in my device manager i have the dell utility, but i cant get a lock ive tried sitting out side for half an hour, using the dell gps utility and earth bridge, with a sim car in the dell mini 9 and without a sim card, please help am i missing something, i followed a few tut's for installing the right drivers so i no am all good there, uplaoded a pic of my device manager to make sure everything as it should be

this is as far as i can get trying to connect, even with a full signal
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/pict...&pictureid=476
and here is my device manager
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/pict...&pictureid=477

Dell Mini 9 ,Win 7 Home Premium, 8gig SSD ,2 gig ram, wifi, BT, GPS
Samsung Galaxy s2
Toxic Rom 16gig + 32gig microsd
HTC HD2
running wp7 & Android
32gig micro sd
  (#6) Old

Default 11-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Did you try the driver set in my post above? (post #4)
  (#7) Old

Default 11-21-2011, 07:24 PM

I did indeed steviebops i found this thread for the drivers, thats what made it become visible in the first place, im gonna head out with my sim card in the net book and leave it out side on charge

Dell Mini 9 ,Win 7 Home Premium, 8gig SSD ,2 gig ram, wifi, BT, GPS
Samsung Galaxy s2
Toxic Rom 16gig + 32gig microsd
HTC HD2
running wp7 & Android
32gig micro sd
  (#8) Old

Default 05-08-2012, 11:30 PM

thanks for share.
  (#9) Old

Default 08-12-2012, 01:09 AM

I've tried various drivers from many sources, I can get the GPS to be identified and also gather visible in both the device manager and in the control panel. Once turned on also the NMEA data stream coming in but the unit will never achieve an actual lock.

No problem under win XP just cant get it to work under win 7, and now i have various GPS devices like tablets and cell phones can't really see the point.