3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default 3G WWAN, GPS MODULE in Inspiron Mini 1012 - 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Hello I got my inspiron mini two months ago and are really happy with that little efficient computer. When I was ordring Dell told me TV Card is not available because there is a GPS Module on this part of the computer on set.
But I can't find any software on the computer to start the module. Need I a routeplaner with GPS option to use the computer as Navi - sorry, I'm really new in that.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 10:10 AM

If you have a WWAN card specifically the 5530 then this has built in GPS - however if your running win 7 there has been issues with the card working on win 7.

I have it and have tested it in XP - runs no problems at all - running win 7 data coming out (ie NMEA streams) but nothing actually working. With the cost of GPS's these days personally I find it more a gimmick using a GPS powered laptop than a truly functional tool in a car. I use my phone which runs tomtom 7 - using Australia v8.45 maps

To get the GPS u need to install the drivers from here:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/3g-m...-easy-gps.html
  (#3) Old

Default 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Guys pls help me out i ve a similar problem. My Dell inspiron 1012 has a wwan/GPS module but am unable to use it. there is no program on the computer to initialize it. Device manager does not recognize the wwan/GPS module. My OS is Windows 7 starter. Pls help me out.
  (#4) Old

Default 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwamemicrisoft View Post
Guys pls help me out i ve a similar problem. My Dell inspiron 1012 has a wwan/GPS module but am unable to use it. there is no program on the computer to initialize it. Device manager does not recognize the wwan/GPS module. My OS is Windows 7 starter. Pls help me out.
As I have said - there is no solution with Win 7, I know I'm currently running the 5530 card in my alienware M11x win 7 64bit - my drivers are a mishmash and while the devise is present in the control panel and also present in the devise manager it will not provide a fix.

Your only option with the 5530 card is to go to XP if you want the GPS to function.
  (#5) Old

Default 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM

I just installed MS Streets and Trips 2010 on my new 11z (sprint version with 5620 wwan card). I do not have sprint service. I am running the stock windows 7 home premium, 64 bit.

As soon as S&T installed, I went to the GPS pane. I clicked the configure button, and it recognized a GPS device on COM5. I selected it, and within a few minutes it was tracking satellites. It's been on for about an hour now, and it varies from 4 to 10 sats.

11z i3 8g DDR3
  (#6) Old

Send a message via AIM to PDADoc Send a message via MSN to PDADoc Send a message via Yahoo to PDADoc Send a message via Skype™ to PDADoc
Default 03-06-2011, 07:51 AM

So let's see if I understand this correctly: I just found out that my Mini 1012 actually has the slot and the antenna for the WWAN card; all I need to do is get the card and put it in.

But you're saying that even if I do this there aren't really any drivers for it? I'm using Windows 7 Home Edition Premium 32-bit.

Also, I see that there is a new module available for this machine, some kind of combo WWAN module that will do either GSM (HSPA) or CDMA (EV-Do). If I get this, do I just contact Verizon and setup a prepaid data account? I just want it for use when I'm away from a WLAN connection in the US.

I apologize for the questions, but this is supposed to be a forum to ask if one doesn't know. So many forums now try to discourage people from asking or give snide remarks (like search Google yourself) to people who just want to know the answers from people who probably already know the answers.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
  (#7) Old

Send a message via AIM to PDADoc Send a message via MSN to PDADoc Send a message via Yahoo to PDADoc Send a message via Skype™ to PDADoc
Default 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM

I got the Dell Wireless 5620 GOBI WWAN card today and just finished putting it in, and I'm already impressed!!!

This card allows you to connect wirelessly via GSM OR CDMA. There's a menu that gives you the option to switch networks; some of the choices are AT&T (US), Verizon Wireless or Sprint. I've tried the AT&T and the Verizon networks and was able to connect with no problem, and I have full bars as well! This will definitely come in handy for me while I'm traveling!

I was lucky enough to have bought a refurb 1012 that already had the antenna assembly in place, so all I had to do was get the card and install it and plug in the antenna wires. While I got the card to allow me to connect via CDMA Ev-DO while I'm parts of the midwest, where Verizon is king, I'm also happy that my netbook also has a SIM card slot so I can also use it to connect to GSM networks when I'm in various parts of Europe, where I'm frequently traveling!

All in all, I'm very happy with the performance, although I think the WWAN card from Dell is a bit pricey, it'll ultimately pay for itself!
  (#9) Old

Default 10-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Can anyone help me from Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 with WWAN SIM Slot, I'm in ghana when I insert any SIM from Ghana it's says enter Network Code, I have try all the network in Ghana and still not have any solution to unlock the device

The Problem is Enter (a) "Device Lock" (b) "SIM Lock"