Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 07:05 PM

I am giving some very serious thought of purchasing a Vostro A90 mostly because its very small size appeals to me. The only real problem is that I am told by my company I need to have XP Pro (not Home and especially not Ubuntu) in order for Remote Access & Remote Desktop to work. As a result, no matter what OS I buy it with (Ubuntu or XP Home) I have to reload XP Pro on it.

Now my question. I can no longer buy XP Pro so I have to use a version I already have. The only over the counter version I have is already installed on my desktop so it is of no value here. As it turns out, I have another relaitively new laptop that died a sudden untimely death last summer when a large glass of water was inadvertently spilled directly on it. It had XP Pro so I have a valid product key that is not being used and can now never be used on the machine it came on. Can this product key be successfully used to load XP on a new Vostro?

When doing a clean install on a SSD Vostro, do I simply put the original Windows CD in the external CD drive, boot off this external drive, and proceed the same as I would as if it was a real hard drive? Is the SSD formatted as NTFS, etc? I suspect I will eventually upgrade the OEM supplied drive to 32 GB so I will actually end up doing two clean installs over some period of time on the same machine.

I hope this can be successful because I can see no other alternative to being able to use one of these very conveniently small machines.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM

FWIW: Dell OEM XP Pro XP3 CD installed just fine on my Mini and required no activiation since its a Dell...

(#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS
I am giving some very serious thought of purchasing a Vostro A90 mostly because its very small size appeals to me. The only real problem is that I am told by my company I need to have XP Pro (not Home and especially not Ubuntu) in order for Remote Access & Remote Desktop to work. As a result, no matter what OS I buy it with (Ubuntu or XP Home) I have to reload XP Pro on it.

Now my question. I can no longer buy XP Pro so I have to use a version I already have. The only over the counter version I have is already installed on my desktop so it is of no value here. As it turns out, I have another relaitively new laptop that died a sudden untimely death last summer when a large glass of water was inadvertently spilled directly on it. It had XP Pro so I have a valid product key that is not being used and can now never be used on the machine it came on. Can this product key be successfully used to load XP on a new Vostro?

When doing a clean install on a SSD Vostro, do I simply put the original Windows CD in the external CD drive, boot off this external drive, and proceed the same as I would as if it was a real hard drive? Is the SSD formatted as NTFS, etc? I suspect I will eventually upgrade the OEM supplied drive to 32 GB so I will actually end up doing two clean installs over some period of time on the same machine.

I hope this can be successful because I can see no other alternative to being able to use one of these very conveniently small machines.
Check the EULA on XPP. I may be wrong, but I thought there was something in there where you could also install it on a laptop, but no more than that. It might have been for XPH though. I honestly don't even remember where I read about it any more it was so long ago.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM

If your work demands specific software, they should provide it, in my opinion.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 08:02 PM

The people at work who told you that are probably just wrong.

Where I work there used to be some people who thought they couldn't VPN in and map network drives because Windows XP Home can't join a domain. It's true that it can't join a domain, but that's the last thing you want to do with your personal machine anyway. Their problems were due to some firewall they were running. Later we went to a client-less VPN solution and mapping network drives is no longer even an issue.
Is it possible the people at work simply said it "Home isn't supported" rather than you need Pro in order for it to work? As I recall, my company took the "isn't supported" position for a while, but it works just fine, and I think they dropped that stance eventually.
Anyway, you can't legally transfer the OEM license key from the drowned machine to any other machine.
Maybe you could rent a Home machine somewhere, put RDP 6 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876 on it, and try it.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine
If your work demands specific software, they should provide it, in my opinion.
Well why don't you call and tell his employer that :roll:

To me, it sounds like he is making a personal purchase but wants the item to be compliant so it can be used for work as well. Not many employers will supply the OS for your personal PC for free...

If this is a business purchase, then I would assume the company would cover the cost of the hardware and software... but that does not seem to be the case :lol:

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS
I can no longer buy XP Pro
Why can you no longer buy XP Pro? Does your credit card not allow it or something? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, there are still places you can buy a copy of XP Pro.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Thanks for all the fast replies:

First, wrt to my company buying the software: They will give me, just for the asking, a Lenovo R61. But, it will have the ultra restrictive company image installed on it. They will not give me software to install on my personal machine. I do not want their R60 because it is too big for my tastes and it will have the restrictive company XP Pro image on it. This image would severely restrict my access to the machine and I would have to very careful nothing inadvertently finds it way on it that could even remotely be considered offensive. I only need a laptop for work related needs when I travel and then mostly only to keep up with my email. In fact, I just sold my old reliable IBM T30 solely because I want to replace it with as small and convenient device as is reasonably practical. The Mini 9/A90 seems to meet my criteria. I see it as an experiment but all I am personally risking is a few hundred dollars.

As far as the need for XP Pro vs Home: It is certainly more correct to state my company will not support remote desktop access on a XP Home machine instead of stating it simply will not work (although this could also be the case). This is a very large very conservative company that is incredibly paranoid about their precious network being compromised. If the company computer weenies say they won't support XP Home, it just is not going to happen. My job pays too well and is relatively too secure to mess with their policies.

Unfortunately, my credit card allows just about anything I want. I had understood, obviously incorrectly, that XP is not a current product and is now only available in the Home version via an OEM like Dell. After seeing kaizoku's sarcastic comment, I did check Newegg and, to my surprise, it is still available for a bit over $130.00. This does indeed solve the problem of reliably having it available but, at $130.00, I have to rethink what I am going to do. This now takes the total cost beyond what I willing to gamble since there is a possibility I will not find the miniature A90 useful.

I do have a reasonable cost back up plan. My company is selling unused reasonably late model ThinkPads at just over $100 to employees. If the Mini 9/A90 is not a viable choice to buy, or does not work out, one of these machines will be an excellent replacement for my T30. I am thinking about buying one anyway because they are so cheap.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 10:36 PM

Am I the only one that thinks remote desktop on a Mini 9 is just pure insanity?

Why on earth would you want to use a teeny tiny low res screen to remote desktop into a normal PC with a much higher resolution screen? Can you say "icon scramble"?

I think the Mini 9 is the wrong PC for your use.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Yeah, you probably are. I was using it earlier to get into a server. Sure, 1024x600 sucks, but it works when you need it to.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides