Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Download locations for newer NBI? Update 10.6.3 to ? - 07-04-2011, 03:57 PM

I've been away from the forum for ages.
My mini works like a charm on 10.6.3 but I figure it's time to do the last update available for the 10v. I assume the security updates for the newer versions make it a good idea to do this (still running Tiger on my real Macs! and use Firefox not Safari)

I did the original install from a 10.6 install disk using NBI 0.8.4RC1 and immediately updated to 10.6.3 via the combo update available from Apple at the time.

1. Can someone please help me with the best/easiest way to do this last update to 10.6.7 OR should I stop at 10.6.6?

2. Can I go directly from 10.6.3 to 10.6.7 via a combo update download from Apple - or do I need to do it incrementally?

3. What is the sequence and can I do it just once -
run NBI (which version*?)
install combo update
run NBI?

4. *Can someone please point me to a download source for the newer versions of NBI?
I found and downloaded this NetbookInstaller 20100616212351.app.zip - is this the latest and the one to use???

5. Can I jump to the newest useful version of NBI or (as above) do these have to be run incrementally?

Is it true Meklort has left the building? He has been such a help to all of us, I wish him well, but hate to see him go.
What about mechdrew?

JnC

how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled

Last edited by JnC; 07-04-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added more info in italics
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 07-06-2011, 03:30 AM

Hey JnC,
I don't know how I missed this post.

That link is for the proper version on NBI to be used on 10.6.4 and works fine up to 10.6.7. No need to run them incrementally, you can run the special version even if you last used 0.8.3 or 4.

There is a newer version call 0.8.5 Pre which combines NBM and NBI into one application, but it borks the mini 9's (or at least the one I tried it on) and it doesn't give you the same options as the older versions of NBI as far as Sleep, Hibernation, Hide/Show NBI files, etc, so I use the one ending in 351, or as some call it the special. 0.8.5 Pre was a pre-release, but Meklort indicated on his blog that he is working with someone else to get Lion on PC's and so NBI seems to be over.

I did a mini 9 for a co-worker and used the 10.6.7 Combo Update downloaded from the Apple site and the NBI special and it went smoothly.

Run NBI special, run the update, run NBI again, reboot and NBI will run yet again. This last step could take just a few minutes, might last for as long as 10 or so, then it will reboot on it's own and should boot right into your install of 10.6.7.

I say should because some people have said they had issues, but my mini 9's and my 10v have both been fine and that's the method I used on them, as well as my co-worker's mini 9. The sound doesn't always load properly on the 10v, seems it got moved around in the boot order or something? It can cause a long boot time, even when it does load properly.

Off topic, but since you haven't been around in a while, check out this thread-
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...ossible-8.html

Post #79 by Slothtyper is the pertinent post. You can enable Hibernation on the 10v and it works pretty well. It's not quite as good as on a real Mac, but it saves battery life, and saves you from the slow boot time the 10v has compared to the mini 9.

What I really like about it is if you Hibernate your machine with everything working (i.e. sound) and wake it back up, everything is still working, whereas by shutting down and rebooting, sometimes the sound works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old

Default 07-09-2011, 01:28 AM

underwhelmed,
Thanks for finding this and replying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
Hey JnC,
I don't know how I missed this post.

That link is for the proper version on NBI to be used on 10.6.4 and works fine up to 10.6.7. No need to run them incrementally, you can run the special version even if you last used 0.8.3 or 4...
Run NBI special, run the update, run NBI again, reboot and NBI will run yet again. This last step could take just a few minutes, might last for as long as 10 or so, then it will reboot on it's own and should boot right into your install of 10.6.7....
I'm out of practice with mini thingies - so to restate and clarify the obvious (for the stupider one, here ):
1. download NBI ending in 351 (btw some of the links to it I found in other threads give a dropbox error - don't exactly know what that means, but I did find a working dropbox link to the zip file and downloaded it to my MacBookPro to transfer to Mini if link fails later.
2. open downloaded zip file and click on it to run it - leaving default settings as is
3. download combo update from Apple - from 10.6.3 where I am to 10.6.7 and install
4. click on NBI and run it again
5. restart? or does it do it automatically?

Quote:
Off topic, but since you haven't been around in a while, check out this thread-
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...ossible-8.html

Post #79 by Slothtyper is the pertinent post. You can enable Hibernation on the 10v and it works pretty well....
...if you Hibernate your machine with everything working (i.e. sound) and wake it back up, everything is still working, whereas by shutting down and rebooting, sometimes the sound works, and sometimes it doesn't.
I'll check it out, thanks. We usually use the Mini just on the road when we are traveling, so we shut down after use because we are in transit.

I have had issues with sound sometimes working, sometimes not; but since even on our Macs we usually have sound turned to mute this doesn't really bother us.

I have Mini set to USB Legacy ON (in Bios, which is one of those windows things that mean little to me but I've learned to talk the talk) just in case things go flakey and I have to boot from my external USB stick. Hibernation and Sleep are not supposed to work with that bios setting, I recall. I've trained both of us never to close the lid, because, I think, that causes trouble with legacy On and sleep not functioning. We work off battery and just replug to recharge - no fuss.

Again, thanks for all your help - please, tell me if my understanding of the steps above is remotely correct.

And, check your PM's for a message on batteries.

thanks again,
J

PS I was pleased to see over 2000 hits on my instructions for how to make a backup USB.

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 07-09-2011, 02:42 AM

JnC,
You have the procedure right.

After the Update finishes installing it pops up a window saying you must reboot. Run NBI again first, then click the reboot button on the message box.

NBI should auto-run in place of the gray apple logo you usually see at start up and then it will reboot the machine itself.

I sent you a link to a good seller of 6 cell batteries in PM.

Here is the official 10.6.4 update thread with the good dropbox link in the first post-
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...te-thread.html

If that doesn't work for you I have it my dropbox account as well. If you need it, PM me and I'll send you the link for it.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM

Last edited by underwhelmed; 07-09-2011 at 02:53 AM.
  (#5) Old

Default 07-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
JnC,
You have the procedure right.

After the Update finishes installing it pops up a window saying you must reboot. Run NBI again first, then click the reboot button on the message box...
As always, thanks.

OK - stupid question, but I'm sure it'll be clear when I actually do this thing - how can I access NBI without hitting the reboot button - is there also some sort of cancel button?

Look for another PM,
J

(#6) Old

Default 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
As always, thanks.

OK - stupid question, but I'm sure it'll be clear when I actually do this thing - how can I access NBI without hitting the reboot button - is there also some sort of cancel button?

J
You can if you have NBI .app on your hard drive.
  (#7) Old

Default 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
OK - stupid question, but I'm sure it'll be clear when I actually do this thing - how can I access NBI without hitting the reboot button - is there also some sort of cancel button?...
J
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
You can if you have NBI .app on your hard drive.
Thanks for the reply, r6680jc.

What I really was asking, however, was - when the reboot option button appears, how will I be given a chance NOT to reboot - (in other words "is there also some sort of cancel button?") in order to get to NBI before doing the rebooting? and then how do I get back to the reboot option button?

So yes I should and do have NBI on my hard drive. Now, can you help with the question above, please.
J

(#8) Old

Default 07-12-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, r6680jc.

What I really was asking, however, was - when the reboot option button appears, how will I be given a chance NOT to reboot - (in other words "is there also some sort of cancel button?") in order to get to NBI before doing the rebooting? and then how do I get back to the reboot option button?

So yes I should and do have NBI on my hard drive. Now, can you help with the question above, please.
J
Oh, I see, I misunderstood your question.

Just ignore that reboot buton when it appears, you can run NBI on that time, and click the reboot button after NBI completed the installation.
  (#9) Old

Default 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
Oh, I see, I misunderstood your question.

Just ignore that reboot buton when it appears, you can run NBI on that time, and click the reboot button after NBI completed the installation.
Thanks. Clearer now.

So reboot button stays visible - and I don't need to cancel anything - just double click NBI and when it finishes doing its thing I then hit reboot button?

I've done this all once on my original installation, but it's been a while. I want to update to 10.6.7 and I just got a second 1011 that I need to make into a Mac.

Thanks again,
J

(#10) Old

Default 07-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Clearer now.

So reboot button stays visible - and I don't need to cancel anything - just double click NBI and when it finishes doing its thing I then hit reboot button?
Yes, it's just that simple.

Tags
nbi, updates