General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Plugging in an external monitor - weird behavior - 10-23-2009, 03:44 AM

Snow Leopard, 10.6.1, NBI 0.83rc3.

Most everything works, except the audio-plug & mic- - we know that.

But tonight (first time), I tried plugging in a digital projector. Primary screen went all wacko, like the video driver was not matching, or even close. Weird vertical lines ,etc. Extended display (on projector) showed a mouse pointer, but a black screen and nothing.

?? OK, what am I missing? Special video driver, or...? This seemed OK under 10.5.6.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybea View Post
Snow Leopard, 10.6.1, NBI 0.83rc3.

Most everything works, except the audio-plug & mic- - we know that.

But tonight (first time), I tried plugging in a digital projector. Primary screen went all wacko, like the video driver was not matching, or even close. Weird vertical lines ,etc. Extended display (on projector) showed a mouse pointer, but a black screen and nothing.

?? OK, what am I missing? Special video driver, or...? This seemed OK under 10.5.6.
I put together a guide that you might find informative:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...e-restart.html

DM9 | 64GB Runcore SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS A03 (USB LEGACY OFF, USB WAKE OFF, BT OFF)
OSX 10.6.4
  (#3) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Good post, but-- that's not it. My boot env is actually stable, reliable, and the voodoo sound is not something I want nor need right now.

More info on the video thing: It's most definately a driver issue. Last night, when plugging the mini9 into a (relatively new) optima projector-- bad things happened on the screen. Unuseable. I have seem at least one other post elsewhere reporting the same behavior.

BUT-- when I got home, I plugged the mini9 into the lcd tv-- and that worked-- extended desktop. That is, it worked, "mostly". I'd plug it in, it would do it's thing, voila. Unplug, back to normal. But repeated plugging in and such of the VGA-- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

My linux notebook has NO problems plugging into either the projector, or the tv, consistently.

When the projector TOTALLY failed, but the TV worked-- yeah, it's a video driver issue. I just wonder if anyone's working on an improved GMA driver for osx on the mini?
  (#4) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybea View Post
Good post, but-- that's not it. My boot env is actually stable, reliable, and the voodoo sound is not something I want nor need right now.

More info on the video thing: It's most definately a driver issue. Last night, when plugging the mini9 into a (relatively new) optima projector-- bad things happened on the screen. Unuseable. I have seem at least one other post elsewhere reporting the same behavior.

BUT-- when I got home, I plugged the mini9 into the lcd tv-- and that worked-- extended desktop. That is, it worked, "mostly". I'd plug it in, it would do it's thing, voila. Unplug, back to normal. But repeated plugging in and such of the VGA-- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

My linux notebook has NO problems plugging into either the projector, or the tv, consistently.

When the projector TOTALLY failed, but the TV worked-- yeah, it's a video driver issue. I just wonder if anyone's working on an improved GMA driver for osx on the mini?
Thanks, I just wanted you to read what I had experienced with mirroring so far, and also see that the voodoo kexts give you a working audio out jack. Sorry, it wasn't what you were looking for.
I have been able to successfully mirror my DM9 only on an HDTV LCD as thats the only other display I have access to. By the way, it only works for me (mirroring, not extended desktop which I never try or use) when I plug the lcd cable into the mini when its off and then boot up, you might want to try that.

DM9 | 64GB Runcore SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS A03 (USB LEGACY OFF, USB WAKE OFF, BT OFF)
OSX 10.6.4
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 10-23-2009, 10:44 PM

The issue has to do with what resolution things are, and other video settings. I find that even though I use an external monitor on a daily basis, some times when I plug into a projector I get the same results

There are numerous posts in here about this, the answer is the "mirroring" command that came with DellEFI and I know Melkort was thinking of installing it with NetBookinstaller, but don't know if he did.

to fix:

1: get the mirroring command, put it where it belongs (/bin I think)
2: with the monitor unplugged, open a terminal. Type "mirroring off" but don't hit enter
3: plug the monitor, crazy lines appear. hit enter
4: problem is usually solved from tht point on. For some reason, you never have to do this again for the same display, but when you plug another one that doesn't register right, you have to go through the same steps.

hope that helps

-bill
  (#6) Old

Default 10-24-2009, 04:45 AM

cool, I was beginning to think along those lines (different displays detected differently, mirroring defaults, sometimes...)

I'm back at the church tomorrow (where that projector is) and will try it out.
  (#7) Old

Default 10-25-2009, 07:57 PM

OK, that fixed it.

Spefically: First, I had to find and download the "mirror" command-line tool. Disappointing the mirroring facilit(ies) aren't included with NetBookInstaller (but were with DellEFI??). I believe that's being reconsiderd, so I won't belabor that point here.

But yes... the weird thing is, with the (default) video driver on the mini 9 hackintosh - it appears that the default for a display that you have yet to connect **MIGHT** be "mirroring on". Or, it might not. you don't know.

In the case of my tv, it worked first time, no fiddling. In the case of the projector-- I needed the "set up terminal and get ready to do "mirror -off" trick.

It also appears that yes, your osx setup "remembers" various external displays, so once it's fixed, you're good to go FOR THAT PARTICULAR EXTERNAL DEVICE from that point on. I do not know specifically which file or location that info is written to, I'm not an osx internals expert.

Summary: for any new external device, it SHOULD work-- just be darn prepared to do the mirroring off deal.