FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old
Expert Member

Default Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 01-04-2009, 02:35 AM

Not sure if this was posted before but here is something very interesting. Have you ran into applications that have windows that are too long to fit on the 1024x600 screen and prevent you from accessing those buttons? I have found a way to temporarilly/permanently fix that. Simply drop down to a terminal window and type:

Code:
defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor <scale factor>
So to get a virtual screen resolution of, say, close to 1280x750 you type:

Code:
defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.8
Any new window that is open after this will be scaled down by 0.8, creating the illusion of it being in a 1280x750 screen.

If you want to make things permament type:

Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.8
My prefered solution would be to do it via a small menu bar item that could be selected to pick a 0.8 or 1.0 scale factor on the fly, for those darn applications that don't fit. But I now have to learn how to do this in Xcode.

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#2) Old

Default 05-17-2009, 01:51 AM

@jamrdun: Have you tried applying a ScaleFactor to the Photoshop via the preference file?

To run at 78% (ie. 768px > 600px):
- Quit Photoshop
- Open Terminal & run this command:
defaults write com.adobe.Photoshop AppleDisplayScaleFactor .78
- Restart Photoshop

Tried it here on my MBP and it does mess up the menus a little, but you can see all the buttons on the RAW import window -- you'll have to decide it affects the integrity of the RAW preview.

To reset the ScaleFactor to 100%, quit Photoshop and run the Terminal commands again, replacing 0.78 with 1.0

If it were 1986, we'd have a solution to our scrolling desktop needs...

mini 9 | osx 10.5.8 | 2gb ram | 16gb runcore ssd | wifi | bt | wwan | 0.3mp webcam | NBI 8.3(RC4) | http://labsix.net/mini9
  (#3) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakmini View Post
@jamrdun: Have you tried applying a ScaleFactor to the Photoshop via the preference file?
While that really makes PhotoShop itself look like !@#$, it surely does make Camera Raw quite usable now for previewing fresh images.
Thanks rakmini!

Mini 9|OS X 10.5.7|32GB Runcore SSD|2GB RAM|A05 BIOS|DellEFI 1.2a5
  (#4) Old

Lightbulb 05-19-2009, 05:46 PM

@jamrdun: Glad that worked!

Here are a couple of one-click utils, PS78% and PS100%, to automate the Photoshop ScaleFactor. Keep them in your dock for easy access.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PS-ScaleApps.zip (72.1 KB, 294 views)

mini 9 | osx 10.5.8 | 2gb ram | 16gb runcore ssd | wifi | bt | wwan | 0.3mp webcam | NBI 8.3(RC4) | http://labsix.net/mini9
  (#5) Old

Default Garage Band? - 05-19-2009, 10:37 PM

@rakmini
Could you make one for Garage Band 09? I've tried it at .75 and it still doesn't show the entire window. Thanks.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | BIOS A04 | 1.3 MP Webcam
4 GB SSD with Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix | 32 GB Runcore SSD with Mac OS 10.5.7
  (#6) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 11:52 PM

@r3dr0v3r: Garageband is a special case (iMovie too, I think). It only applies the ScaleFactor to the elements inside the window (like buttons) not the actual window.

Another blog mentioned Garageband on the MSI Wind: I'm not sure what he means though!
Quote:
Good news are iPhoto, iWeb, iTunes and iWork run pretty well. Unfortunately, iMovie and GarageBand don’t fit in 600 pixels — UPDATE : “Green Maximize button” helps a lot and it’s just amazing playing virtual instruments on the road.
There must be a way to do this for all apps:
1. either by setting a larger resolution* and 'mousing-around' to view the parts of the screen beyond 1024x600
or,
2. by scaling applications on-the-fly. I can happily use Screen Sharing to view work on my MBP's 1440x900 screen, it uses bitmaps and vnc, allowing you to scale the screen to fit on the Mini 9's.

Thoughts running through my head are using a combination of: Screen Sharing, Fast User Switching, Spaces. Check out Apple's document on scaling.

* - bsoplinger1 mentioned using SwitchResX - but I don't think it can apply a larger resolution that can be viewed, only to 'trick' an application to open on the Mini.

Question:
When an external monitor is connected and set to a higher resolution, if you use 'Mirror' mode on the Mini 9 does it let you 'mouse around' the extra screen real estate? (just a thought when I saw this hack of a VGA connector)

(#7) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Thanks. I don't know if I can help you with your question. Every time I've tried Mirror mode, the screens go haywire.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | BIOS A04 | 1.3 MP Webcam
4 GB SSD with Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix | 32 GB Runcore SSD with Mac OS 10.5.7
  (#8) Old

Default PhotoShop Camera Raw updated information - 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM

For those who are interested, there is even better Camera Raw solution — There is a full screen toggle that I missed before. It is located just to the right of the preview check box. If you click on it, you lose the PhotoShop menu bar (which you don't need while in Camera Raw) and everything fits perfectly on the screen without any scaling. When you go back to PhotoShop, everything is still normal.

Mini 9|OS X 10.5.7|32GB Runcore SSD|2GB RAM|A05 BIOS|DellEFI 1.2a5
  (#9) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Noob here but I wanted to say thanks to rakmini for the one-click resizing apps. Adding them all to a single stack in the dock keeps them out of the way but easy to grab. Brilliant!
  (#10) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

I'm using an Automator script that's fairly handy.
It set's the scale to .8, waits 15 seconds then sets the scale back to 1.
This way I can run the script, load an application and then not worry about having to set it back to default.

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.8
sleep 15
defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1