Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old

Default 06-01-2009, 01:42 AM

Both of my installs had compression switched off, but there was a very noticable difference between PRO SP2 and HOME SP3. I have a feeling that the SP does make a difference as the base install of HOME SP3 has different base drivers than PRO SP2 when looking at System Hardware setings of both.I have tested other netbooks, Asus Aspire etc. and although there should not be much in it as they all use Intell, Atoms, and similar SSD and RAM. The Dell with PRO SP2 has enough poke in it to set it aside from the others. Would be good to hear from anyone who has tried HOME SP2 instead of HOME SP3 to see if there is anything different about performance, at least then it may be a little clearer to see if its PRO, HOME or the service pack. On my heavier editing machines I have to use PRO as HOME does not work with some editing software and hardware and have to stay with SP2. This may suggest the differences between HOME and PRO extend beyond the networking capabilities of both and may impact on things like I/O etc and it would also seem that SP2 works better than SP3 for pro editing applications. Either way i think it is a shame that Dell seem to be getting shut of the Mini 9, for what it is it is better in my expereince than the other small netbooks, and to my eyes looks a little cooler. I have been using my Mini 9 more and more with external monitor keyboard mouse dvd etc. when in the office, and i still cant believe how suited it is to that and being able to use it mobile. Pitty there was no docking bay option. I use it to demo rough video edits, even at low bandwith 720P, it is just so easy. If anyone is reading this thread and undecided about what netbook to go for, just ignore the techy crap i have been going on about, and grab a Mini 9 while you can. I have never been one to go over the top about a computer, after all they are just tools. But i have to say i feel somewhat smug when i pull the Mini 9 out and show people video rough cuts before their Mac laptops have finished booting. £200 for this machine would be a joke if it where not true.
  (#12) Old

Default 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM

going from the stock xp sintall from dell w/ 8g and 512mb ram to a clean xp sp3 and necessary drivers with the runcore 64g and 2g ram its like a comparing the first flight at kittyhawk to a fighter jet.
  (#13) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Was your speed increase due to the better SSD, or did you compare to a clean install with the standard 8gig and 512meg base hardware.
  (#14) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO View Post
Was your speed increase due to the better SSD, or did you compare to a clean install with the standard 8gig and 512meg base hardware.
My new Mini came with a Runcore 64GB one (the Mini was on order for three months). I ghosted my current Mini (16GB STEC) and restored the Ghost image onto the one with the 64GB Runcore, and it's like night and day... no delays/stalling with the 64GB SSD, etc. I'm glad Dell wised up and started shipping their systems (well, at least mine) with a decent SSD like a Runcore. (Note: both systems had 2GB as well...)
  (#15) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Are you sure Dell used Runcore? That is news to me. I had heard that they only used STEC. Note Runcore drives have the mini usb connector and other brands do not.
If your drive did not have the mini usb it was not a Runcore.
  (#16) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaster View Post
Are you sure Dell used Runcore? That is news to me. I had heard that they only used STEC. Note Runcore drives have the mini usb connector and other brands do not.
It has Runcore silkscreened onto the PC Board and is identical to the picture on the Runcore site. It even has the slot for the mini usb connector, but nothing is soldered onto the pins.

It has a barcode/sn sticker on one site, and a Dell part # on the reverse.

Edit: attached a snapshot of how it shows up in Device Manager...
Attached Thumbnails
dell.png  
  (#17) Old

Default 06-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaster View Post

The newer larger drives were indeed Runcore...this has been confirmed elsewhere. The Dell version's do not have the USB port but they do have the pins there for anyone who wanted to solder on their own.

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8