Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR2879 View Post
What part of the guide isn't making sense?

Maybe a step by step of exactly what you're doing at each step of the guide would help so I can get a handle on what may be the problem?

I'll do what I can to help.
I am restoring the working SL on the hard drive to the 8 GB SSD and hoping i can at least boot from that by Pressing "0" at startup.

my problem arose when i did not have enough space on my 8GB ssd to install onto, then i plugged in an external HD and installed SL on that. booted it up from startup by pressing "0". deleted stuff. dont know why i ran netbookinstaller but i did. now im restoring the HD with SL on it to the 8GB SSD in the Vostro A90.

so exactly how stupid am i?

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukidesu View Post
ok i installed the sl to a usb hdd. Now what do i do? it says operating system cannot be found. what the heck.

and then what should i remove to condense the size?
i guess unused apps, ??
i really appreciate it
When I tried to follow the mechdrew guide, I ran into the problem that I just couldn't shrink the install small enough. I realized that not only was the mini SSD listed, but my 8 gb SL USB was an install option as well. So, I plugged in another USB hard and rebooted. Now, it gave me the option of minin SSD, 8 gb SL USB and my external 80 gb hard drive.

I choose the 80 gb USB to install to, then when it was working, I removed all the printer and language files to free up some space. I also ran xslimmer to shrink it a little more. When I was done, I just used disk utilty to do a restore from my 80 gb USB to the mini SSD. (Just make sure to make it a guild format)

Granted, there probably is an easier way. But after several hours of trying several different methods, this worked. Also, I'm still new to this.

An added benefit right now is that I have SL installed on an external hard drive. This has helped me already so far. Because, as I tried to fix the sound, I screwed it up and it would not boot. Luckily, I just booted off the external then restored the image again.[/QUOTE]

it seems that my ignorant process correlates with this guy above, but i could be mistaken.
  (#12) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnysac View Post
I am restoring the working SL on the hard drive to the 8 GB SSD and hoping i can at least boot from that by Pressing "0" at startup.

my problem arose when i did not have enough space on my 8GB ssd to install onto, then i plugged in an external HD and installed SL on that. booted it up from startup by pressing "0". deleted stuff. dont know why i ran netbookinstaller but i did. now im restoring the HD with SL on it to the 8GB SSD in the Vostro A90.

so exactly how stupid am i?
First, you aren't stupid. My first time through with the old DFI method was about as smooth as sandpaper.

So you can boot the A90 with the external HD and get to the SL desktop fine? (If I'm reading correctly).

If so, then you can use Monolingual (free download) to remove tons of OS stuff to shrink the OS down.

After that, use something line Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate that external HD to the internal SSD.

http://bombich.com/index.html

Would you happen to use GTalk at all? I'd be happy work with you over chat at some point to help.

DELL Vostro 1720 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL XPS M1330 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL Vostro A90 - 2GB - 64GB SSD - OSX
  (#13) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
First, you aren't stupid. My first time through with the old DFI method was about as smooth as sandpaper.

So you can boot the A90 with the external HD and get to the SL desktop fine? (If I'm reading correctly).

If so, then you can use Monolingual (free download) to remove tons of OS stuff to shrink the OS down.

After that, use something line Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate that external HD to the internal SSD.

Carbon Copy Cloner - Home

Would you happen to use GTalk at all? I'd be happy work with you over chat at some point to help.
correct i can boot perfectly fine from the HD.

Can i not just restore the external HD to the internal SSD using Disk Utility?

no i am not a user of GTalk, but im sure if i deemed it necessary i could sign up and let you assist me. thanks for the offer. i have 10 minutes left on the restore and im going to see how that turns out. then ill post my results.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

restore failure because not enough space left on device... great. guess ill do what you said. carbon copy cloner and monolingual.

here we go again
  (#14) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
correct i can boot perfectly fine from the HD.

Can i not just restore the external HD to the internal SSD using Disk Utility?

no i am not a user of GTalk, but im sure if i deemed it necessary i could sign up and let you assist me. thanks for the offer. i have 10 minutes left on the restore and im going to see how that turns out. then ill post my results.
I'm not the most knowledgeable about exactly what the Disk Utilities do that might be different. I used Carbon Copy Cloner and had no issues, so thats why I recommended it.

EDIT - Was the internal SSD formatted and partitioned as GUID?? If not, OSX will see it fine, but it won't be able to boot it.

I'll be up here for about another hour or so, and I'll keep this thread open to check in on how it works.

Once you get it up and going, you may want to avoid doing the system update, as it seems 10.6.1 causes some problems.

Crossing my fingers for you.

(#15) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable about exactly what the Disk Utilities do that might be different. I used Carbon Copy Cloner and had no issues, so thats why I recommended it.

EDIT - Was the internal SSD formatted and partitioned as GUID?? If not, OSX will see it fine, but it won't be able to boot it.

I'll be up here for about another hour or so, and I'll keep this thread open to check in on how it works.

Once you get it up and going, you may want to avoid doing the system update, as it seems 10.6.1 causes some problems.

Crossing my fingers for you.
even if i do completely copy it over, how do i get the computer to boot to it? it will say operating system not found im sure of it.

and yes im pretty sure i partitioned it initially as GUID. but i repartitioned it and now im using carbon copy cloner, although tedious. it did say the drive will be bootable though so that is promising! if this works ill actually be able to sleep tonight.
  (#16) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
even if i do completely copy it over, how do i get the computer to boot to it? it will say operating system not found im sure of it.

and yes im pretty sure i partitioned it initially as GUID. but i repartitioned it and now im using carbon copy cloner, although tedious. it did say the drive will be bootable though so that is promising! if this works ill actually be able to sleep tonight.
If you ran the NetbookBootMaker on the external USB HD it should be able to boot that drive or any drive cloned from it.

If it doesn't work tonight, I can set some time aside to work with you on it. Like I said, my first time doing this with the older method wasn't smooth, and I think it was 2-3 days before I got it up and going. The NetBook method is soooo much better.

We'll get there. I'll be up a bit still, so post back when it's done and let me know how it went, and I'll check back here tomrrow.

(#17) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
If you ran the NetbookBootMaker on the external USB HD it should be able to boot that drive or any drive cloned from it.

If it doesn't work tonight, I can set some time aside to work with you on it. Like I said, my first time doing this with the older method wasn't smooth, and I think it was 2-3 days before I got it up and going. The NetBook method is soooo much better.

We'll get there. I'll be up a bit still, so post back when it's done and let me know how it went, and I'll check back here tomrrow.
thanks a lot i really appreciate it.
im a little nervous though because the blue progress bar is halfway full, and its only copied 2.72 GB out of around 7GB. im afraid that progress bar stands for space left on the target sdd. my vostro does guestimate very poorly though so hopefully thats the case... once its finished ill repost
  (#18) Old
Guru

Default 10-02-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:

If the drive doesn't boot, or you get the operating system not found error message, put your USB you used to do the initial install with ( the one with the restored OS X Image on it ) and boot from it as if you were going to do a fresh install, but select the NetbookInstaller from the System Utilities menu at the top of the screen, run that again and you should be good to go.

Cloning, even with tools that specifically say they make a bootable system, don't usually work with Hackintoshes for reasons I don't fully understand, and don't want to make a fool of myself trying to explain, but suffice it to say, I keep my USB install key handy to recover my system when I goof it up.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#19) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
If the drive doesn't boot, or you get the operating system not found error message, put your USB you used to do the initial install with ( the one with the restored OS X Image on it ) and boot from it as if you were going to do a fresh install, but select the NetbookInstaller from the System Utilities menu at the top of the screen, run that again and you should be good to go.

Cloning, even with tools that specifically say they make a bootable system, don't usually work with Hackintoshes for reasons I don't fully understand, and don't want to make a fool of myself trying to explain, but suffice it to say, I keep my USB install key handy to recover my system when I goof it up.
Good advice as well.

For the heck of it while we've been chatting I just cloned my SSD to an external Thermaltake BlacX dock with a 36GB Raptor hard drive in it, and it booted fine first try. Granted not all external USB HD's are equal though. I've seen some that work fine as long as you don't try to boot from em.

I've still got my DFI USB sticks from the old method here just in case I do need em. I'd rather "waste" a spare stick and be covered than get screwed if something goes wrong.

(#20) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post

that makes sense, but when i tried to run netbook installer initially i couldn't select a volume, there was nothing there?

should there be one there?

Tags
advice, hackintosh, snow leopard, vostro a90