Dell Mini 9 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 9

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default The easiest way to install Snow Leapard - 10-18-2009, 03:20 AM

After many failed attempts I have found the easiest way to install Snow Leopard on my dell Minni 9 so i figured i would share with the rest of you, before i start i want to thank some of the members on this board, Click here to read the entire tutorial
Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Snow Leopard Boot DVD

I have the new Snow Leopard upgrade DVD, but I can't seem to boot up off of it. Am I doing something wrong? I pop it in to my external DVD writer and boot up. I get a device error and it boots right into Windows 7.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Default netbookBoottMaker does not see flash drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm1963 View Post
After many failed attempts I have found the easiest way to install Snow Leopard on my dell Minni 9 so i figured i would share with the rest of you, before i start i want to thank some of the members on this board, tchariya and masari for pointing me in the rite direction. This guide is for those hew have a hackintosh and want to either upgrade or do a clean install of snow Leopard
What you will need
1: 16 Gig flash drive
2: NetbookBootMaker_0.8.3_RC3.app You can download it from the link below
Downloads - netbook-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code
Step 1
Use disk utility to partition your flash drive
choose partition tab, Volume scheme select 1Partition go to the options tab and use guide partition on the right hand name your flash drive something like snow Leopard DVD, for format choose Mac OS extended (Journal) hit apply once done run netbookBootMaker choose the flash drive you just partitioned let it finish

Step 2
Restart computer and boot from flash drive ( either set up your bios to boot from your flash drive or just find out what key to hit on your net book to get into boot options if all goes well your install should start without a hitch. I chose to do a clean install you can now remove the flash drive , you well not need it to start your computer again,everything worked flawlessl. I even did the latest updates

Once again thanks to those that helped me
I tried without success. Downloaded and ran netbookBootMaker, but it did not recognize newly formatted flash drive? help? I have a 32gb flash drive and tried to set it as one partition, and two (one at 16gb), still no success.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM

I am currently testing this method, will reply for the results
Old 04-19-2010, 03:55 AM

Default USB Stick

Does the USB stick need to be 16GB? If not, what is the smallest capacity flash drive I can use? Is 8GB sufficient? I'm considering a dual boot with Ubuntu 8.04 on the first partition and SL on the remaining 9GB of a 16GB SSD.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 PM

I used an 8GB USB flash drive to do my snow leopard install.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 AM

i used an 8gb usb following the above instructions to the letter. then did the online updates. but what i did since i have not recieved my 32gb ssd is i installed it to a 16gb flashdrive leaving windows xp on the ssd. so if i want to boot xp i do not put in the flash drive. if i want OSX i plug in the flash drive. it is pretty cool to do it this way except my sleep function does not work. does anyone have any advise on how to get the sleep function working. and the touch pad is very touchy. i am not getting the same feeling or gestures as i do on my macbook with multi touch.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Can this method be used with an USB ext hardrive instead of an USB memory stick?
I have a mini9 with 10.5.3 that I received as a gift a while back. I would like to upgrade it to 10.6.3 or at last 10.6.2 (min required for the 3.x iphone SDK).
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Default Problems with update after SL install in Mini 9

Following this guide I have been able to install 10.6 on my Dell Mini 9 / 2Gb / 32 Gb. However, once I install the Mac OSX Combo update 10.6.3 the system won't boot (more specifically, it reboots repeatedly, and if I install the update via System Update I get a system that kernel panics when it tries to boot). Pretty frustrating. Any ideas for the newbie?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM

i jsut got my runcore 32gb hd and split it into two partitions. one for mac and one for windows. got osx 10.6 up and running then tried to install the updates and it jacked it up? any ideas on a fix?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM

I prepped the usb stick fine and used both the current and RC1 versions of the netbook install util. With the NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 2 it kernel panics right away and with the NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1 it starts booting and i get the grey apple screen with a progress circle thingy... it just sits there for ever using a 16gb sandisk and a 10.6.3 install dvd
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools