Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 07:42 AM

Hello all,

I dont know much about computers, so this may sound like a dumb question, but here goes. I am trying to download msn messenger live on my new dell mini 9. From the website, I download a " .exe " file. Normally in Windows, I double click on it and it starts running a set up for the messengers. But on Ubuntu, it asks me to choose a program to open it with??? Why, and what program? Thank you for taking the time to read my question : )

P.S. Unless Im missing something really obvious here,. I must say Linux/Ubuntu is hell on earth compared to windows. from setting up my wireless, to this, it has been just one headache after the next... although i love my mini itself!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Hello.
I'm not a Linux expert and agree that Windows is more user-friendly (and I prefer Windows on my desktop PC), but I think that Ubuntu is a reasonable choice for a netbook and one of the more user-friendly Linux distribution.
Installing and executing programs with Linux is different. I'm a newbie, so I leave Synaptic to manage installation of downloaded programs.
If you want to use your preferred .exes, may be useful you install wine. It is a program that allows operations with Windows programs.
Hoping will be helpful for you.
Bye

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/dggatetocyberspace/Home
  (#3) Old

Send a message via MSN to kelvin911
Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 10:14 AM

i have to say ubuntu is more user friendly then windows. ask a grandma who never uses computers b4, she will find OSX or ubuntu is more user friendly then windows.

in ubuntu u cant run exe file (except in wine)

if u really want to use msn account, u can use pidgin which come with ubuntu.

but if u want to use a software that is 99% like msn client, try "emesene" in add/remove

very easy to install
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solange82200
P.S. Unless Im missing something really obvious here
You are missing the fact that Microsoft does not provide MSN Messenger for Ubuntu. Hence, what you are trying to do is impossible.

If you want to install software, you need to do it the "Ubuntu" way (using an online repository (appears as Add/Remove in your menu at the top).

With regard to your actual issue - the Dell Mini comes with software called "Pidgin" (Internet -> Pigin Internet Messenger; or in the "Web" tab of the launcher as "Internet Messenger") which is perfectly capable of getting you on to the MSN chat network.

There are other options available to you should you not like the simplicity of Pidgin.

While Ubuntu is not "user unfriendly"; it is different than Windows, just as a Mac is different.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM

While it is easy to see how you could consider Ubuntu confusing if you have never used anything besides windows I strongly urge you to give it a chance. Just because Ubuntu runs on the same hardware as windows does not mean it will be able to run windows executable files (.exe). One possible solution as mentioned above is to use a program called WINE which attempts to basically translate a windows .exe instructions into something linux can understand. However this approach involves extra overhead so you are better off trying to find an equivalent native linux program to replace the windows program whenever possible. There is a good chance that for any application you would be using your netbook for a replacement exists in linux.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 10:55 AM

(The responses above me were posted while I writing and checking email...)

picardfacepalm.jpg

I don't know how else to explain this, so here goes.

Linux is not windows. Right now you sound like a person who just flew to another country and is screaming "Why don't you speak ENGLISH!? Get me a double bacon cheeseburger with Texas chili you little twirp!!!"

(I'm trying to hold back the urge to write something utterly scathing, but I think it might be leaking out.)

Here let's try to explain this. Would you expect your windows software to work on a mac? No? Ok, so how is it reasonable to expect it to work on Linux? As for the user friendly bit, I feel like an evolutionary biologist talking to a devout Christian. (This is not a slight against religion, just a comparison)

Ok now that my teeth are no longer gritted I'm going to attempt to be helpful.

First disable Dell's little shell program thing and use the normal desktop. (Why anyone decides to ship netbooks with these little shell bits is beyond me) click on the thing that says applications -> click add/remove -> type in what you want -> click apply changes -> follow prompts.

You will not find proprietary programs here. You will find things that can inter-operate, like for messenging (aim, msn, yahoo and so forth) and irc you'll find pidgin, for office you'll find OpenOffice.org, for images you have gIMP, for movies and music you have totem.

You won't find MSN messenger, MS Office, Photoshop or iTunes. If you can't live without the little apple logo or Clippit the annoying little paperclip Linux will not work for you.

If you can't find what you need there, under System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager you'll find a more powerful tool to download and install an amazing array of software.

The advantages of using software you get through these tools should be obvious, but I'll explain it anyways.
All the software has gone through an approval process, meaning none of it has malware or anything like that.
All of it is free. (Duh.)
Most of it makes use of common libraries, meaning smaller downloads, and smaller installs.

Now look the simple fact is you are used to windows. If you want to have what is familiar and comfortable you need to get a copy of windows and go about installing it, but if you want to use Ubuntu you need to be open to learn and different ways of computing. Also you need to learn that unlike Microsoft normal people make Linux, so we're not required to help you and if you act like a brat, no one will.

So you take the Microsoft pill: The story ends, you wake up on your XP desktop and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the Linux pill: You stay in Ubuntu and you find out how different computing can be.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#7) Old

Send a message via MSN to kelvin911
Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM

dont scare off the windows user,,,

I think what you are looking for is "emesene"

it is in add/remove
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, sorry if I offended anyone It obviously is me, it didnt even occur to me that it was an actual compatibility issue. I really want to like Ubuntu, because I heard it is better for a netbook, I guess the problem is me, I have a lot of learning to do! I did try Pidgin, but I was having problems where the server would time out and some messages just wouldnt appear on the other person's chatbox (I actually had my other work laptop with msn messenger right next to it, and was doing a test writing back and forth). Now I understand what is going on, thanks for all the info, I think I will get used to Ubuntu, I just have a lot of learning to do!

Edit:

Wow, Circs, I hadnt even read your post yet when I posted above lol. You have to realize, if I had been computer literate enough to know that MSN Messenger is only native to Windows, I would never have expected it to work. Now that you guys mention it, I realize that I totally missed that, and I know it seems like a stupid error, but like I said, I dont know much about computers or software or anything. Sorry if I came off as a brat, I didn't think anyone would take my frustration with Linux so personally. Seriously though, it wasn't my intention, I need you guys' help (obviously!), I certainly dont want to piss you off! I do appreciate the detailed response you gave after that, I like that even though you were obviously upset you still helped out, so thanks!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 09:48 PM

Yeah, sorry about that. When my sugars are low I get unnecessarily grouchy.

I'm also known for occasionally having a vicious tongue.

So yeah, pop on back if you need help, I'll do what I can because now that I've had a night's rest and breakfast I feel as though my attitude was unwarranted. ops: My apologies.

Anyways, I hope you can become more familiar with the Linux way of doing things. It took me time, but I soon came to find windows as the most effective way of ruining a computer. I use Linux for every day computing, my netbooks, my media center, my projects and even for my sister's college laptop. I've helped on a few open source projects, and while I'm no great shakes I like to think of my efforts as helping out the community as best I can. (I'm sure the donations I make help out more though...) I guess I kind of took it personally because of the effort I put forth to trying to make open source succeed.

Really though I'm happy you decided to take the Linux pill, but hold on Dorothy, cause Kansas is going bye bye. :lol:

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu is so darn confusing and user unfriendly... - 01-17-2009, 11:03 PM

The Pidgin issue sounds like a network problem rather than Pidgin itself.

I have never had any issues with simple chats on Pidgin with MSN; of course, the more "entertaining" aspects of MSN with nudges etc aren't the same.

Good luck with Ubuntu. There's plenty of help out there for it (I moderate on ubuntuforums), as long as you don't start each question with "Ubuntu is rubbish..."