Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#21) Old

Default 05-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femto View Post
Hello jamesbarnhill,

I've been trying to get SL 10.6.3 boot on my mini 1011 (from an original 10.6.3 upgrade DVD) following OSX-mechdrew for about a week or so - and keep getting error codes when the system should show the "apple" for the very first time.. I have the impression that (although I used NBI 8.4 RC1 to boot from the "small USB-stick") the SL 10.6.3-DVD and my mini somehow don't like each other enough.. Even using different (patched) Kernels 10.2 / 10.3 didn't help til now..

So I was really happy when I found your posting saying:

Will you write another guide explaning howto get this thing running when there is no real MAC around (and no Linux-system oder -knowledge either...:-)

Thanks you very much in advance!
Femto
Sure! Sorry, I kinda forgot,

I'l try to do it later today. While you're waiting, try my previous post (It's Mechdrew's NBI2 with a couple edits), I made another IMG file to replace his; mine is for 10.6.3.

It might take a while to write it completely from scratch as I'll have to experiment somewhat, but hopefully I'll get it to you quickly.
~James

[  MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB HDD | NVidia 320M 256MB SDRAM 
Dell Mini 9 <I don't own this anymore> | BIOS: A06 | SL 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BT: √ (Tetany's BT Terminal Mod) |
Audio: √ (Akki's Mini 9 Sound and Mic Fix bundle) | Legacy USB: Off | Sleep: √ | Method: My compiled method | Easier method ]
  (#22) Old

Default 05-30-2010, 08:24 PM

James,

thanks for your reply.. after lots of frustration (and formatting USB-sticks many, many times) you finally let me start seeing a dim light at the end of the tunnel... :-))

I will try the other method you mentioned in your previous post; maybe that "new" 84RC1 already solves the problem..

Best regards
femto

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

back again.. I just tried the "OSXmechdrew"-method No.2 using your new version von NBI84RC1.img. Unfortunately I got the same result like before: the chamaeleon loader shows the MacOS, I can choose this option but even before I can see an "apple"-logo this "you need to restart your computer"-message appears. In the background I can read something like "panic...unable to find driver for this platform"..

Hmm.. I will now try to put a different kernel on the MAC-OS-Stick, but til now that never helped..

Best regards, Femto

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

...the other mach_kernel (mach_kernel 10.3.0 (Mac OS X 10.6.3)) also had no other result, same error message..

(#23) Old

Default 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM

Hello, Femto, you shouldn't need the other kernel.

Just want to ask, but you don't happen to have USB wake support enabled in your BIOS, do you? If so, that most likely is your problem.

[  MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB HDD | NVidia 320M 256MB SDRAM 
Dell Mini 9 <I don't own this anymore> | BIOS: A06 | SL 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BT: √ (Tetany's BT Terminal Mod) |
Audio: √ (Akki's Mini 9 Sound and Mic Fix bundle) | Legacy USB: Off | Sleep: √ | Method: My compiled method | Easier method ]
  (#24) Old

Default 05-30-2010, 08:54 PM

No, I just looked into the BIOS.. in the respective BIOS section (Advanced) all options are "enabled" except "USB wake support" (disabled) and "function key behaviour" (multimedia).

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

...hmm, looking for "user-related" causes..

I generated the image of my SL-DVD with "CDBurnerXP", burning the data as "ISO" into an ISO-Image-file. The Image file has a size of 7,54 GB (8.101.199.872 Bytes).

Later on I renamed the image file to "macdvd.img" and copied it to a 16 GB Sandisk cruzer micro with "Win32DiskImager". Does that sound alright so far..?

Best regards,
Femto
  (#25) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
No, I just looked into the BIOS.. in the respective BIOS section (Advanced) all options are "enabled" except "USB wake support" (disabled) and "function key behaviour" (multimedia).

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

...hmm, looking for "user-related" causes..

I generated the image of my SL-DVD with "CDBurnerXP", burning the data as "ISO" into an ISO-Image-file. The Image file has a size of 7,54 GB (8.101.199.872 Bytes).

Later on I renamed the image file to "macdvd.img" and copied it to a 16 GB Sandisk cruzer micro with "Win32DiskImager". Does that sound alright so far..?

Best regards,
Femto
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem...

Can you try booting in verbose mode, and tell me what the error is on the line 'panic(<something>....)'? (When you first boot from the flash drive press and hold the shift key until you see an icon or two, then type '-v' and hit enter).

That might get us somewhere.

Thanks, James.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Hey, Femto, I'm not able to get this written out tonight. Sorry. It should be done tomorrow,

(#26) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 09:58 AM

Hi James,

thanks a lot for your posting and your helpfulness. I will try booting in verbose mode when I return form work this evening (in 8 hours or so... ) and come back afterwards..

Best regards, Femto
  (#27) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM

Hello James,

here I am again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbarnhill View Post
Can you try booting in verbose mode, and tell me what the error is on the line 'panic(<something>....)'? (When you first boot from the flash drive press and hold the shift key until you see an icon or two, then type '-v' and hit enter).
Unfortunately booting in verbose mode didn't work, looks like I just don't get far enough in the boot process.

When the "You need to restart your computer..." appears I can read the following in the background (with the original 10.6.3 kernel on the stick), maybe you can pick some bits of helpful information from these cryptic lines:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x558271): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.3.12/iokit/Kernel/IOPLatformExpert.cpp:1389
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potental args on stack)
0x1aac3da8 : ...

Thanks again and in advance!!!

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

...and with the patched kernel on the stick the error message is exactly the same..
  (#28) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Hello James,

here I am again.

Unfortunately booting in verbose mode didn't work, looks like I just don't get far enough in the boot process.

When the "You need to restart your computer..." appears I can read the following in the background (with the original 10.6.3 kernel on the stick), maybe you can pick some bits of helpful information from these cryptic lines:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x558271): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.3.12/iokit/Kernel/IOPLatformExpert.cpp:1389
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potental args on stack)
0x1aac3da8 : ...

Thanks again and in advance!!!

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

...and with the patched kernel on the stick the error message is exactly the same..
I Googled the error (That is the only way I learn ANYTHING computer related, ) and it looks like it was flash drive related; a cheaper flash drive... what brand is your's?

(#29) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 07:17 PM

I, too, seem to be having trouble upgrading to 10.6.3.

I have a Dell mini 9, and I ran Leopard for a long time, and have recently decided I'd like to upgrade to snow leopard.

I have a snow Leopard DVD and external drive that I "restored" onto an 8 gig Kensington USB Drive.

I ran NetBookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1 on that USB Drive.
I then booted from the USB Drive and installed 10.6.
Then I ran NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 on the Mini 9.
Then, I downloaded and installed the combined update via software update.
When it reboots, it gets a kernel panic. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

-- josh

p.s... this is why I was quite happy to keep my Hackintosh on leopard until I have a new "primary" mac... a 1st gen unibody macbook now that I have a new primary, I'm able to freely mess with the netbook. Also, all my old info is still on it, and seems to survive reinstalling Snow Leopard 10.6 safely, which is good.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  (#30) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 09:04 PM

Hi James,

well, of course I have also already googled the error I got - my result was that one possible cause may be that I "burnt" the USB sticks under Windows (and not in LINUX). Now I've downloaded Ubuntu and try to generate the two USB sticks using Ubuntu.. at the moment I'm still learning..:-))

Back to your question: the USB drive I used for the MACDVD is a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 16 GB. The one I used for the NBI084.img is a no-name 8GB-stick that wasn't really cheap..

Do you think that a USB stick of minor quality (possibly) for the NBI-img may cause my error message..?

Best regards,
Nanno

Tags
osx mini9 snow leopard