Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#191) Old

Default 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Worked perfectly on 10.6.2!! A few snags due to my lack of any real code knowledge, but after some yelling I eventually got it

Be very careful where you place the patched code, I messed that up a few times causing the recompile to have errors and not recompile to .aml

I'm generally lazy, my own machine is still using DellEFI, so for other newbies, be aware that all of these files /Extra etc are hidden and not displayed on your root drive like they were back then. I used this small app to toggle them on, maybe it will help you too.

Other than that, you need to follow post #1 to the letter! I'm pretty amazed anyone ever found this fix, that was pretty burried!!...........Thanks Bikinifarm and all involved, great job!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Toggle hidden files.app.zip (27.5 KB, 2 views)

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#192) Old

Default 12-20-2010, 12:47 PM

This is a very old thread. Can anybody confirm if this method works on 10.6.5? Thank you.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

After deciding to just wing it I can confirm that this method does indeed work for 10.6.5 at least for the Mini 9. Thanks very much bikinifarmer. You posting your actual dsdt.aml files is what helped me the most I was replacing the portions of the code instead of waiting for them to end. Could of been very bad.
  (#193) Old

Default 12-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Yup. something on this should be stickied so people can find it.....

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...sound-mic.html

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#194) Old

Default 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoats View Post
This is a very old thread. Can anybody confirm if this method works on 10.6.5? Thank you.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

After deciding to just wing it I can confirm that this method does indeed work for 10.6.5 at least for the Mini 9. Thanks very much bikinifarmer. You posting your actual dsdt.aml files is what helped me the most I was replacing the portions of the code instead of waiting for them to end. Could of been very bad.
Thanks for letting people know that it works with 10.6.5. I had not tested it, as I did not have a chance to upgrade my machine to 10.6.5. I will update the first post to reflect this info.
  (#195) Old

Default 10.6.6 - 01-09-2011, 05:24 AM

Works with 10.6.6.
  (#196) Old

Default 03-24-2011, 03:25 PM

Does this work on 10.6.7?

I have working sound, as I have done all or some version of this fix previously when I was on 10.6.4-but now after updating to 10.6.7 I have no Mic. Is there a way that is less elaborate that is just for fixing the mic? I don't really want to risk messing up the sound just for the mic.

Thanks fellas

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by patg View Post
Does this work on 10.6.7?

I have working sound, as I have done all or some version of this fix previously when I was on 10.6.4-but now after updating to 10.6.7 I have no Mic. Is there a way that is less elaborate that is just for fixing the mic? I don't really want to risk messing up the sound just for the mic.

Thanks fellas
For others in this position, should you find this, I am going to pursue this guy's approach over here-->http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...tml#post184982

Everytime I try this to fix the mic, I get KP on boot. Reverting AND doing NBI again was the only thing that got it back. Still no mic.

Last edited by patg; 03-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
  (#197) Old

Default 07-03-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinifarm View Post
I have been holding for Meklort to update the audio kext's for functioning microphone input. Unfortunately,with the Netbook Installer 0.8.3 RC5, the built in mike still not functioning on Dell Mini 9. However, I did come across a thread by flames on insanelymac.com that provides a kext that does make this work.

Following these steps, I ended up with working audio:

1- Backup the dsdt.aml from 0.8.3 RC5. (in /Extra folder)
2- Decompile it using iASLMe
3- Edit the decompiled file (dsdt.dsl) with TextWrangler and insert both blocks of code from flames.
4- Recompile using iASLMe
5- Backup existing dsdt.aml, and replace it with recompiled version. (in /Extra)
6- Backup and remove AppleHDA.kext from /Extra/A90Ext/
7- Place the original *unmodified* AppleHDA.kext in /Extra/A90Ext/ (usually in backup folders left by NetbookInstaller in /Extra.bak or in /System/Library/BackupExtensions)
8- Place the ALC268.kext from flames in /Extra/A90Ext/
9- Run /Extra/UpdateExtra
10- Wait till it completes.
11- Reboot and enjoy both microphone and functioning audio.

EDIT: Built-in microphone, as well as external microphone plug, and built-in audio, as well as external headphone plug all work. External audio devices properly turn off the internal microphone or audio. Quality is as good as it should be. And there are no sleep issues.

EDIT (for 10.6.3): This modification also works with the 10.6.3. Here are the instructions if you already had done this modification with 10.6.2:

EDIT (for 10.6.4): The following also works for 10.6.4. Install, boot with recovery=y typed at bottom of screen, after holding shift at boot, install meklort's latest.

2-1 Backup AppleHDA.kext and ALC268.kext from /Extra/A90Ext, or /Extra/Mini9Ext.
2-2 Backup DSDT.aml from /Extra
2-3 Download and install 10.6.3 (I used the Combo updater). DO NOT RESTART.
2-4 Download and install NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 from meklort.com. Default settings.
2-5 Backup meklort's older AppleHDA.kext from /Extra/A90Ext, or /Extra/Mini9Ext.
2-6 Replace meklort's older AppleHDA.kext in /Extra/A90Ext, or /Extra/Mini9Ext with the one from step 2-1, and also put ALC268.kext in the same folder. No need to worry about the DSDT.aml, as meklort's installer does not seem to modify that.
2-7 Run /Extra/UpdateExtra. Wait until it completes (takes a very long time)
2-8 Restart and enjoy sound and microphone.

If you had not done this before and you are still on 10.6.2, then;

3-1 See if you have 10.6.2's VIRGIN AppleHDA.kext (version 1.7.9a4, size 7,169,450) usually in backup folders left by NetbookInstaller in /Extra.bak or in /System/Library/BackupExtensions. Save it if you do.
3-2 Upgrade to 10.6.3 following steps (2-3) to (2-5) immediately above. You can restart after.
3-3 If you did not find the VIRGIN AppleHDA.kext from step (3-1), then obtain 10.6.2's VIRGIN AppleHDA.kext (version 1.7.9a4, size 7,169,450) [Note that 10.6.3's version 1.8.4fc3 will NOT work.]
3-4 Follow instructions at the top (1 through 11) to install AppleHDA.kext (version 1.7.9a4), ALC268.kext, and DSDT.aml modifications. You can also follow more detailed instructions in later postings that provide better detail.
3-5 Enjoy sound and microphone.

EDIT: Works with 10.6.5.
EDIT: Works with 10.6.6 (Jan 8, 2010)
Is there a consensus on whether or not this method still works with 10.6.8. I'm fully updated, but after trying to do this mic fix, it bonked my system.

I've read through the tutorials, I backed up and removed the AppleHDA kext that was there, put both of the new ones in place, ran UpdateExtra, but nothing. Just the infinite wheel. Here's hoping that I can somehow get a working Mic...
  (#198) Old

Default 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigoichie View Post
Is there a consensus on whether or not this method still works with 10.6.8. I'm fully updated, but after trying to do this mic fix, it bonked my system.

I've read through the tutorials, I backed up and removed the AppleHDA kext that was there, put both of the new ones in place, ran UpdateExtra, but nothing. Just the infinite wheel. Here's hoping that I can somehow get a working Mic...
Sorry, I think 10.6.5 is the end of the line for me, not a glitch so I doubt I'll be touching anything, hopefully Bikinifarm shows up.

Mini 10V

(#199) Old

Default Someone does still read these boards... - 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothtyper View Post
Sorry, I think 10.6.5 is the end of the line for me, not a glitch so I doubt I'll be touching anything, hopefully Bikinifarm shows up.
Thanks, Sloth. Here's hoping you're right and Bikinifarm shows up.

By the way, your toggle hidden files script worked nicely in my chance to try this out.

2X Mini 9: Red | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GB RAM | 32GB SuperTalent SSD | 1.3MP | BT |

Tags
audio microphone snow