Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Worked for me though I think I lost the mic jack as a source. Was a bit involved to do. Not for faint of heart.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#12) Old

Default 12-29-2009, 06:14 PM

im not sure i totally agree with akki, its not that hard to do, but i managed to mess it up the first time, now however, it works. when running updateExtra. realize it takes a bit of time! it took up to 3 to 5 minutes in my case..

ive tested mic input.. works.. external mic.. works.. headphone and speakers.. work.. switching works.. and it still works after sleeping..

i dont notice any sound glitching (the 5 seconds interval noiseburst) but im not sure how that worked.. as ive never experienced the symptom(never tried other fixes)

ill continue to test this fix.. if i find problems, ill post.. otherwise.. its all good..
  (#13) Old

Default 12-30-2009, 12:11 AM

sound and mic work after I update to 10.6.2 . it seems it dose not work with 10.6.1
  (#14) Old

Default 12-30-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab4 View Post
Hello
I tried it but It did not work for me. the sound is gone with mic.

my dsdt file dose not contain "AZAL"?

can any one please explain a little more . like how many AZAL is there .

thanks

update*

my OS is MAC OSX 10.6.1
There is no AZAL in there, just swap the HDEF section (deleting the existing HDEF) and add the other section where flames indicates. Also, I have not tested this with 10.6.1, I am running 10.6.2. If audio is gone, and you've done everything else right, then your dsdt is not right. Did it compile?

PS. The AppleHDA.kext (unmodified original) version is 1.7.9a4 for OSX 10.6.2
  (#15) Old

Default 12-30-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinifarm View Post
There is no AZAL in there, just swap the HDEF section (deleting the existing HDEF) and add the other section where flames indicates. Also, I have not tested this with 10.6.1, I am running 10.6.2. If audio is gone, and you've done everything else right, then your dsdt is not right. Did it compile?

PS. The AppleHDA.kext (unmodified original) version is 1.7.9a4 for OSX 10.6.2
Hello

I actually just update it to 10.6.2 and then it works the audio and mic .
so I think this method only works with 10.6.2.

thanks a lot for your help.
  (#16) Old

Default 12-30-2009, 04:08 AM

Do we know if Merklort is planning on including this fix in the next release of NetBookInstaller, or are they worried more about supporting the 10v at this point?

I'd imagine they will, but I just want to confirm they're working on it before I try editing any files.

Dell Mini 9 | 1.6 Intel Atom | OS X 10.6.2 via NetbookInstaller 0.8.3| 32GB STEC | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth | 1.3 Webcam |
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 12-30-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostilemf View Post
Do we know if Merklort is planning on including this fix in the next release of NetBookInstaller, or are they worried more about supporting the 10v at this point?

I'd imagine they will, but I just want to confirm they're working on it before I try editing any files.
The final version of 0.8.3 just came out four days ago, and this thread was started five days ago. It's not like all of a sudden a new feature would be added in at the last minute without testing, there were already plenty of things that were being fixed. (Not chewing you out, just pointing out the timing.) You'll probably see it in the next test version of NetbookInstaller, but considering that it usually takes a few weeks for new releases to come out, you should just put this in your Additional Extensions folder for now.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#18) Old

Default 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM

oops, that i didnt, thats gonna pose a problem the next time i update isnt it..i cant just happily copy it over can i? maybe an updated tutorial how to modify this so it makes use of that folder..

as for putting it in the netbookinstaller.. i think this should probably need to be tested some more..and i think meklort will agree.. maybe he even has other plans..
  (#19) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-30-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
you should just put this in your Additional Extensions folder for now.
Agreed. I actually put both the ALC268.kext and the "unmodified" AppleHDA.kext into AdditionalExtentions.

I grabbed an AppleHDA.kext from my macbook. Not sure that was the unmodified they meant but...

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#20) Old

Default 12-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki View Post
Agreed. I actually put both the ALC268.kext and the "unmodified" AppleHDA.kext into AdditionalExtentions.

I grabbed an AppleHDA.kext from my macbook. Not sure that was the unmodified they meant but...
Putting it in the additional extensions folder is fine, but unless meklort incorporates this into his installer, the netbook installer will undo what you are doing here manually, and reinstall a modified version of AppleHDA and a virgin dsdt. You will need to manually redo it whether it is sitting in the additional extensions folder or otherwise. So, I wouldn't sweat it as to where it is sitting, frankly.

PS. In reality, an unmodified AppleHDA.kext belongs in /System/Library/Extensions. But I tried to keep the instructions as simple as possible, and not move too many things around behind meklort's back.
PPS. I also lifted the original AppleHDA.kext from my mac as well, as I could not be sure which version on the mini was the latest. A couple posts up, I posted the version number that belongs to 10.6.2.

Tags
audio microphone snow