Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default OSX 10.6 wireless/wifi issue - 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM

I had Ubuntu installed on my Dell mini 9 - wireless and sound were working great.

I upgraded to 2 gigs of ram and also installed a 32GB Super Talent SSD yesterday. Along with this upgrade, I created a Snow Leopard USB stick with a retail Snow Leopard DVD and used NetbookMaker to make it bootable, etc. I used the Mechdrew guide -> http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml for this.

After the installation, everything worked fine except for the wireless part. My wireless card was not even being identified. I booted into single user mode and did the NetbookInstall thing too, but that didn't help with the wireless, and in fact, I lost my sound too.

I ended up erasing the partition and reinstalled Snow Leopard from the USB drive. I still have the same issue of no wireless access

I would really appreciate any help resolving this issue.

Also, my mini does not seem to resume from sleep mode. Is there a known fix for this issue?

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

I fixed the sleep/wake issue by disabling "USB legacy support" and "USB wake" - part of the problem solved.

If only I can get my wireless to work, I would have the perfect portable device
  (#2) Old

Default 10-10-2009, 04:19 AM

any help folks? I really am stumped...
  (#3) Old

Default 10-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
any help folks? I really am stumped...
There was something about wireless showing up in System Preferences/Network but not working.
Is your wireless visible in System Preferences/Network ? If it is follow this steps:

1) go to System Preferences/Network ( you may have closed the window )
2) select the AirPort (wireless card)
3) Click on the - (minus) sign to remove the service, the card will reappear in a few seconds.
3b) you may need to unlock by entering your password before completing step 3
4) restart your mini

MS

Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - 2 GB RAM - 32 GB RunCORE SSD - OS X.6.5 - Bootable External USB HD 320Gb with OS X, WinXP

Apple iMac i7 - The beast in a suit
--
2x Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB STEC SSD - OS X.6.5 - NBI 0.8.4RC2 (??)
1x Mini 10v - Obsidian Black - 2Gb RAM - 160gb hdd - A06 OS X.6.6 - NBI 0.8.5pre - Everything enabled
  (#4) Old

Default 10-10-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straulino View Post
There was something about wireless showing up in System Preferences/Network but not working.
Is your wireless visible in System Preferences/Network ? If it is follow this steps:

1) go to System Preferences/Network ( you may have closed the window )
2) select the AirPort (wireless card)
3) Click on the - (minus) sign to remove the service, the card will reappear in a few seconds.
3b) you may need to unlock by entering your password before completing step 3
4) restart your mini

MS
Thanks for the suggestion. My issue is that the wireless card doesn't even show up in the Network tab. I have tried to use the "assist me" button, etc, but the Airport option is always grayed out.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Don't know if this will help or is part of your problem, but, I could not get connected to Wi-Fi on my MBP after the Snow Leopard upgrade. I deleted the files listed in the following URL and that fixed my Wi-Fi issues.

Major Airport Problem in Snow Leopard [problem solved] - Mac Forums

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#6) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Ok, I just figured out that I have an Atheros ar5bxb63 card in my mini 9. After extensive searching, it appears that there is one 3rd party company offering drivers for this card, but it costs another $15. Do you guys think it is worth buying the driver? Or, should I just replace the wireless card? Which card do you folks suggest - best bang for the buck...
  (#7) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM

I resolved this issue reinstalling XP, activate WIFI, and then reinstalling SL: now WIFI is OK!

mini 9 black - A04 - 2GB RAM - 8GB STEC - SL 10.6.1 - NBI 0.8.3 RC3
  (#8) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Yeah, it appears that installing Snow Leopard with wi-fi off will cause you to not be able to reenable wi-fi. That was the problem with my MBP and was able to resolve by following the instructions in the following link.

Major Airport Problem in Snow Leopard [problem solved] - Mac Forums

I'm guessing on a Hackintosh, these steps should work as well, so, don't have to go in and reinstall a different OS before reinstalling SL.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#9) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfurlan View Post
I resolved this issue reinstalling XP, activate WIFI, and then reinstalling SL: now WIFI is OK!
Do you have an atheros card too?

I have linux installed on my 8GB SSD and wifi is activated in linux. I swapped the SSD aand confirmed that my wireless card is on and active. But yet, it doesn't work in SL.
  (#10) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM

I have a Broadcom card...

mini 9 black - A04 - 2GB RAM - 8GB STEC - SL 10.6.1 - NBI 0.8.3 RC3