General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#21) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 04:06 PM

A Kingston 32Gb Class 4 that arrived this morning works fine. Froze the system the first time I put it in but after I took it out shut down all the programmes and reinserted it, it works fine, now formatted on the 9 and seems to be running perfectly.

Steven

Trust me, I'm a Doctor!

Alpine White Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.7 | 16Gb Stock SSD | 2Gb RAM | BT | 1.3 Mp Webcam

Will install OS X for beers!

Dropbox Invite
  (#22) Old

Default 05-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Hi,

I'm using a Transcend 16GB class 6, and it's working fine so far :-)
  (#23) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM

This was the one that didnn't work for me

SANDISK SECURE DIGITAL ULTRA II SDHC 16 GB
http://www.dustinhome.se/pd_5010153651.aspx?

I'm running DellEFI 1.1
  (#24) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirinto View Post
This was the one that didnn't work for me

SANDISK SECURE DIGITAL ULTRA II SDHC 16 GB
SANDISK SECURE DIGITAL ULTRA II SDHC 16 GB - Ett SD-minne för dig med lite högre krav

I'm running DellEFI 1.1
That's odd. The same card, or rather one with the same description (the picture has been doctored to remove the capacity so they can use it for others) works fine for me. It did hang the first time I inserted it, but once I'd formatted it, it's been fine ever since. I keep it write-protected most of the time, after hearing nightmare stories about data loss, but those stories seem to come from a while ago before the SDHC driver was as stable as it is now.

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun
Dell Mini 9 2GB RAM | 32GB STEC SSD | 16GB SDHC | Bluetooth (fixed) | 1.3Mpix cam (with iGlasses)
BIOS A05 | Legacy USB off | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2b5 | UK keymap (fixed) | Meklort's trackpad | DropBox & .Mac
  (#25) Old

Default 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wst View Post
Hi,

I'm using a Transcend 16GB class 6, and it's working fine so far :-)
Any good deals on this or other 16GB or 32GB SD?

What about USB 2.0 compatible thumb drives? They seem to be cheaper, but they "stick out"

E
  (#26) Old

Default 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsVostro View Post
Any good deals on this or other 16GB or 32GB SD?

What about USB 2.0 compatible thumb drives? They seem to be cheaper, but they "stick out"

E
I got mine from Amazon for around $35 I think. It has over 800 reviews and a rating of 4.5/5.
I would've liked a 32GB, but thought it was a bit expensive at this time. Prices will fall down undoubtedly.

Just make sure you get a Class 6 as it's the fastest so far. I'm playing video with no problems.

As you said, a usb stick is cheaper but not practical. I guess this is the best option aside from upgrading the SSD to higher capacity.
  (#27) Old

Default 05-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I got mine from Amazon for around $35 I think. It has over 800 reviews and a rating of 4.5/5.
I would've liked a 32GB, but thought it was a bit expensive at this time. Prices will fall down undoubtedly.

Just make sure you get a Class 6 as it's the fastest so far. I'm playing video with no problems.

As you said, a usb stick is cheaper but not practical. I guess this is the best option aside from upgrading the SSD to higher capacity.
Or adding another SDHC inside the Mini9 with the "WWAN - to - MR04 PCIe card" upgrade. Then you have your XXX GB SSD card (for OS etc), the left slot XXX GB SDHC card, and the internal XXX GB SDHC card. For a total of XXX + XXX + XXX GB. For me, I have 32GB x 3 = 96GB total storage. More than I need, but I no longer worry about how many movies, tunes or applications I can carry with me ...

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...ould-work.html

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
| CLICK HERE TO ADD AN INTERNAL SDHC CARD | | CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE HACKINTOSH POLL |
  (#28) Old

Smile 05-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Just ordered the 16GB version from Amazon, $37 with shipping. This will give me more than enough free space for email, presentations, music, Word Docs, etc. I agree, the 32GB is too expensive at over 2/3s more. After all I bought the Vostro a90 as a cheap OS X Netbook for simple tasks
  (#29) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishagi View Post
Or adding another SDHC inside the Mini9 with the "WWAN - to - MR04 PCIe card" upgrade. Then you have your XXX GB SSD card (for OS etc), the left slot XXX GB SDHC card, and the internal XXX GB SDHC card. For a total of XXX + XXX + XXX GB. For me, I have 32GB x 3 = 96GB total storage. More than I need, but I no longer worry about how many movies, tunes or applications I can carry with me ...

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...ould-work.html
Wow, never knew such a thing is possible. Good to know. But it's more than I care to spend on my Mini9 :-)

The 16GB SD will do for now. But I know a friend who'll go nuts over this. I emailed him the link.

Thanks.
  (#30) Old

Default 05-25-2009, 07:04 AM

I am using the 32G Sandisk Ultra II in my mini under 10.5.7 and it's great. I have a couple of DVDs on it that I watch with VLC. Its formatted FAT32.

Berclese
MacBookMini with Windows 7
32G SSD * 32G SDHC * 2GB