General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default SDHC Desktop Freeze - RESOLVED - 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Hey all,

Finally got OS X installed and running beautifully (10.5.6). One last thing though: I bought a 16GB Class-6 SDHC card to put all my documents on, but when I put it in the slot, oddly, the MOUSE / TRACK PAD freezes up, and the desktop seems unresponsive (command tab doesn't show anything, for example). But it's not actually a crash, because all i have to do is to take OUT the SDHC card, and instantly the whole things works again.

Oh, also, if I put the card in before boot, the system fails to complete it's booting up process (stopping at solid-blue desktop screen).

Any ideas??

One last time: seriously, thanks for everyone's help getting me this far!

- Lauren D
[b]NOTE: PROBLEM WAS SIMPLY A
BAD SDHC CARD - NEW CARD WORKS LIKE A CHARMb]
  (#2) Old

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM

have the same problem with OS X and trying to use a SDHC card.
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenD
Hey all,

Finally got OS X installed and running beautifully (10.5.6). One last thing though: I bought a 16GB Class-6 SDHC card to put all my documents on, but when I put it in the slot, oddly, the MOUSE / TRACK PAD freezes up, and the desktop seems unresponsive (command tab doesn't show anything, for example). But it's not actually a crash, because all i have to do is to take OUT the SDHC card, and instantly the whole things works again.

Oh, also, if I put the card in before boot, the system fails to complete it's booting up process (stopping at solid-blue desktop screen).

Any ideas??

One last time: seriously, thanks for everyone's help getting me this far!

- Lauren D
I have an SDHC 16GB Class4 card from Kingston and I have no such issues. Might be related to your actual card... which one is it?

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#4) Old

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-05-2009, 06:46 PM

I have exacty the same issue, however no cards work. Because the ssd cards are expensive (and difficult to get hold of) I was hoping this would help. Strangely, if I put the same card in a usb adapter, it works.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-06-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm trying to use a Transcend 16gb card; causes desktop and mouse/touchpad to freeze still.
Currently waiting for a USB SDHC card-reader to be delivered so I can test using it that way.

- Lauren
  (#6) Old

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM

I have 3 different ones, 2Gb, 4Gb and 16Gb and all three work great. I have formatted the only partition on them as MAC OS extended jouirnaled, but it sounds like you cant even get to that stage.
My cards are Transcend, noname and another named one (in use at moment so dont want to eject)

I obviously know that it can work.

Mini9, 2Gb, 8Gb SSD, 16Gb SDHC, SL 10.6.3, Sound fix without Voodoo, Bluetooth Mod, NBI 0.8.4
  (#7) Old

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Ill be very interested in the resolution of this problem, as Im considering a 32 GB SDHC card. Does anyone have a brand recommendation or does it matter?

Hacbook Mini, 16 gig, 2 gig
  (#8) Old

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM

I have several 8GB cards that work fine, and a 16 GB usb thumb drive that I've had no problems with. Haven't tried a 16GB card.

Mini-9 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB RunCore | 1.3 Mp Webcam
  (#9) Old

Default Re: SDHC Desktop Freeze - 02-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenD
I'm trying to use a Transcend 16gb card; causes desktop and mouse/touchpad to freeze still.
Currently waiting for a USB SDHC card-reader to be delivered so I can test using it that way.

- Lauren
I'm also using a Transcend 16GB Class 6 card on 10.5.6, but haven't had any problems.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-13-2009, 10:43 PM

I got the same problem. I'm running 10.5.6 and DellEFI 1.1

no SD cards work. I've tried a regular SDcard from Kingston an a Sandisk Ultra II SDHC Card that I got yesterday.

The Mouse pointer freezes as soon as you insert an SDcard. If you remove it the sstem continues as normal. I don't know the reason behind this. But it seems I'm not the onl one having this particular issue.

I even tried to roll back to a clean installation to see if it was some driver related thing but none of the cards work.

Anybody found a solution yet?