General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Red face How well does 10.6.3 run for you? - 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM

I just bought a Dell Mini 10v off craigslist and started playing with it last night. I bought it with OSX 10.6.3 already installed and I was disappointed with how glitchy it was running. I bought this with the intended purpose of setting up a dual boot 10.6.3 / Windows 7 boot on it. I am wondering how well it runs for others as I would hate to do a fresh install wasting a whole Saturday and have OSX running slowly and like crap when its all done. The issues on this mini were :

The touchpad was a bit of a pain to use
No Sound, Mic,
usb not working
Somewhat stutterish and slow opening and closing windows.

I installed Windows 7 last night and now it runs like brand new with no issues, clearly making this a software issue. Does everyone deal with these issues or does OSX really run good on a 10v?

Also, is the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb of ram really worth it?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM

OS X runs fine on the 10v, but as you didn't install it, you have no idea what the previous owner did. A 2GB RAM upgrade can make a noticeable improvement. If you want OS X, buy a retail DVD of Mac OS Snow Leopard and look for instructions in this forum for how to install it. Do not look here for help in installing or using OS X if you did not install from your personal purchased DVD (or a copy you made from such a DVD.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 03-14-2012, 11:15 PM

Okay, first off thanks for responding, though I don't think I deserved the implied condescension. I was simply asking a question, which after all is what these forums are for. I already have the install media, as well as the knowledge to install it as I have installed OSX on several other dell machines. I was simply asking for others user experiences with running the software and if after 3 or 4 hours of prep and install, then troubleshooting, it would still be buggy and unreliable. Thank you
  (#4) Old

Default 03-15-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuffs3 View Post
Okay, first off thanks for responding, though I don't think I deserved the implied condescension. I was simply asking a question, which after all is what these forums are for. I already have the install media, as well as the knowledge to install it as I have installed OSX on several other dell machines. I was simply asking for others user experiences with running the software and if after 3 or 4 hours of prep and install, then troubleshooting, it would still be buggy and unreliable. Thank you
so yeah... the mods on this site unfortunately tend to be pretty harsh sometimes, at least when it comes to pirated software issues or the appearance thereof.

as to the issues with os x on the 10v, they do exist. thing is not everyone experiences them to the same degree or consistency. problems with sound and wifi in particular are generally intermittent, and much of the time will be solved by simply rebooting.

while many users on this forum use their hackintoshed 10vs as their primary machines (at least as their primary laptop), you need only 'leaf' through the osx sections of the forum to get an idea of what issues may arise.

i will say that the USB issue you've mentioned is a new one to me at least.

also, as to speed; on my system it's never been an issue, and i only have 1 gig of ram. (the exception is while viewing streaming video-- netflix will run, but after a while it will cut out, at least that's been my experience).

the one issue that i think is sometimes overlooked and perhaps downplayed, is a known freeze encountered when the up/down arrow keys are used. for me, that was the one problem that was major as it can mean lost work and time. i've encountered that quite a few times, and at least for me it's only happened in a web browser where those keys might have to be used quite a bit. i've never troubled to find a true fix for it, but possible workarounds are to use a mouse, or use the page up/down home/end keys rather than the arrow keys.

the other issues as i said above are generally fixed upon reboot. if not running NBI will solve them.

cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#5) Old

Default 03-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks Oscar, I appreciate the feedback. It looks like either tomorrow or Saturday I will be re-installing 10.6.3 and then feel out how it reacts. I am setting this up as a dual boot, so I will probably switch back and fourth between the two systems until I feel confident that I have it running right.
I can understand a moderator being cautious, however I didnt expect the long paw of god to swoop down and slap me on my first post when no piracy was implied. If we want to be technical... even installing OSX on a Dell is violating Apples EULA, as well as installing Snow Leopard on any machine that does not already have Leopard running on it as SL was released as an upgrade to Leopard.

Thanks again for your input!!
  (#6) Old

Default 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuffs3
If we want to be technical... even installing OSX on a Dell is violating Apples EULA, as well as installing Snow Leopard on any machine that does not already have Leopard running on it as SL was released as an upgrade to Leopard.
i've always thought the same thing. which is why i find it puzzling that they're so harsh. but i suppose they have to cover their hides somehow...

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup