Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Angry Is it me, or does the Duo screen kinda suck? - 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Alright, I am a high-tech aficionado and I love me an IPS screen but this is not a high-end device so I expected very little of my Duo when it came in today. Threw in my Intel G2 SSD, installed Windows 8, and off I went (excitedly, I might add)...only to be overwhelmed by the horrid viewing angles of the screen while I was using the Duo as a tablet. We are talking real sucky, "move half an inch and the grey on-screen keyboard buttons lose their luster" sucky. What gives!?

Am I the only one who sees this? Ran a search and no one else is complaining here though the results are a bit more mixed on the inter-web. And I am not that picky about my screens. TN-based LCD panels have been working fine for me for years.

By the way, since this was a clean install via USB (took 15 minutes), I have no complaints about the performance. Win8 simply flies on the SSD. Boot time is literally 10 seconds. Windows found all relevant drivers except BT and the STM rotation sensor. Everything works out of the box except the auto-rotation which doesn't appear to work even after a forced Win7 driver update from Dell.

Feel free to ask any questions but do respond to my own! Thanks!

Latitude E6220 | Inspiron Duo | ThinkPad X200s | Samsung Series 3 / 11.6

Last edited by monakh; 10-30-2011 at 08:40 PM.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM

You are right in everything, duo+win8 is great,
and yes the screen panel sucks harder then a dyson vacuum cleaner
  (#3) Old

Default 10-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Oh good, I am not crazy then.

This a great tab for the price (I paid $327 shipped) but the screen is a deal-breaker for me. Don't think this is a keeper though I'll give it a few more days.

Latitude E6220 | Inspiron Duo | ThinkPad X200s | Samsung Series 3 / 11.6
  (#4) Old

Default 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM

wait and see the reviews on the forthcoming lattitude slate.
allthough after using my duo since march, i must say that you
get used to the viewing angles, and for the rest it is a nice machine
  (#5) Old

Default 11-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post
Oh good, I am not crazy then.

This a great tab for the price (I paid $327 shipped) but the screen is a deal-breaker for me. Don't think this is a keeper though I'll give it a few more days.
damn! I thought I got a deal at $400 shipped :/

Anyways, welcome to Delldom. I'm Running Fedora 15 on mine, lovin it
  (#6) Old

Default 11-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Windows found all relevant drivers except BT and the STM rotation sensor. Everything works out of the box except the auto-rotation which doesn't appear to work even after a forced Win7 driver update from Dell.
My auto-rotation hasn't worked since I did a clean installation of win7, I pretty much gave up on it.
  (#7) Old

Default 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM

You get used to the abysmal viewing angles and forget it till you show someone a photograph & see the puzzled look on their face when they can't see it - then you'll realize they're about 5 degrees off the optimum viewing angle & can't see a d@mn thing :-/
  (#8) Old

Talking 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
You get used to the abysmal viewing angles and forget it till you show someone a photograph & see the puzzled look on their face when they can't see it - then you'll realize they're about 5 degrees off the optimum viewing angle & can't see a d@mn thing :-/
That is why ppl long before Steve Jobs were "visionair" and called it "PERSONAL computer"
  (#9) Old

Default 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedje View Post
That is why ppl long before Steve Jobs were "visionair" and called it "PERSONAL computer"
Pity Dell don't supply a clip on hood & set off mounted goggles to keep your head in the same position
  (#10) Old

Default 11-04-2011, 07:02 PM

I personally don't mind the bad viewing angles as it keeps nosy people from seeing what I'm doing unless they are right behind me. Not that I'm doing anything bad, its just the idea.