Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Couple questions - 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM

I'm new to windows tablets and I'm loving the experience on the duo! I have a few questions though....

1. Is it possible to install a program that would act like the android ' blind' at the top of the screen?
2. How do I lock the screen into horizontal mode? I don't like how sensitive the accelerometer is to flipping when I move or adjust the duo.
3. What programs do you recommend that are touch friendly?
4. Finally....SWYPE! Please tell me I can get a version of swype for the keyboard!
  (#2) Old

Default 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Swype are apparently working on a version for the Windows Tablet but it's not available yet & I wouldn't hold your breath :-(
  (#3) Old

Default 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massahwahl View Post

2. How do I lock the screen into horizontal mode? I don't like how sensitive the accelerometer is to flipping when I move or adjust the duo.
I opened up windows mobility center - then in the Dell section at the bottom, look for auto rotation and turn off - i hated it too, lot easier this way...
  (#4) Old

Default 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM

I saw on the swype website that you could sign up to receive updates about development so I did that. There are videos on the web of windows tablets running it so hopefully its not to far off...
  (#5) Old

Default 07-15-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWill0722 View Post
I opened up windows mobility center - then in the Dell section at the bottom, look for auto rotation and turn off - i hated it too, lot easier this way...
this worked perfect! Hoping I can get some help with the other questions!
  (#6) Old

Default 07-21-2011, 09:06 AM

RE Q3 - gets plants v Zombies, Great game & works much better with touch than a mouse.

In terms of practical programs - definitely get the Opera mobile browser, it is much better than any of the other browsers for touch. Does not support flash - so exactly the same as ipad!

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

This thread has links to the opera browser.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...like-ipad.html
  (#7) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM

no flash is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully opera makes some changes soon!
  (#8) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Ya I use chrome and with the extension for tablets and scrolling, works great. Small buttons at the top, but have the bookmark showing and everything works. The extension is called chrometouch. Hope that helps.

I also just put on normal touch games like angry birds and pvz, windows live mail for email as easiest to work with.
  (#9) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM

2nd all that LordWill suggested.
I use Opera for news sites and either Chrometouch or, if you like to tinker with settings, now defunct Origami (still available at MS site) can give good functionality w/IE and provides a finger sized drop down navigation header. Origami also provides a nice touch friendly interface for all your media. The Duo makes a nice media control center when hooked up to an av receiver- I hated wasting all the power my plasma gulped when I wanted to access music over my network, now I have this slick little low power touchscreen device.
Now if Music Beta would just make their interface touch friendly.