Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Touchscreen Problems - 06-13-2011, 12:37 AM

Hey everyone, I have a couple questions to ask about my new Duo. I have had it for just over a week now and it is freaking awesome! The only problem I have been having though is with the touchscreen. After I use the touch screen in tablet mode, and then close the screen and stop using my Duo for a bit, when I go back to use the touch screen it doesnt work. I have to either restart or put my Duo into hibernate then turn it back on again.
Has this happened to anyone else? I am going to call in the next couple days and see if they have any idea whats going on. Figured it would probably be easier asking here first.
  (#2) Old

Default 06-13-2011, 03:08 AM

not to sure mate however..
have a look at the settings for what happens when you close your laptop lid by going-

start \ control panel \ hardware and sound \ power options
you should have at least 2 plans in there, whichever one has the blue dot indicating that, that one is currently selected, to the right of it is "change plan settings" click that..

then underneath the main options there is "change advanced power settings" in blue, click that..

scroll down and look for "power button and lid" click the little + beside it and see what it says for "lid close action"

i have mine set to do nothing, so make sure its not putting your laptop to sleep or anything as that may cause an issue..

im not 100% but its at least something to check

and im sure someone else will chip in with another suggestion, or someone else who has had the same problem and resolved it

good luck!

PS-
are you leaving your duo in tablet mode and not using it for a bit, or turning the screen back to laptop mode and closing the lid?
i only ask as either way it might be going to sleep and sometimes ive had issues with devices not working properly after its gone to sleep and been woken back up.. so personally i dont really use the sleep function, hibernate seems ok but i dont really use that either lol

just a thought tho! need a little more info on what your doing and the lid settings
and someone else to shine some light on it too

Last edited by HybriDPjT; 06-13-2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: PS-
  (#3) Old

Default Word - 06-13-2011, 06:55 PM

From memory, within the Device manager under the Human Interface devices you will have something to do with Touch etc. Click that and you should have a power tab 'Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power'. Remove the tick.

Try that as WIndows turns off the touch screen to save power - but it does usually come back on after holding your finger on the screen (Like right clicking) and then touching again.
  (#4) Old

Default 06-14-2011, 02:10 AM

thanks for the tips there guys. I have it set so it does nothing when I close the screen. But after I open the screen, thats when the touch screen wont work again. Even if it was only for a couple seconds. I also looked under the human interface option and there wasnt anything for touchscreen.
What I am hoping its just a setting like that you guys have said. Just have to find out which one.
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Also you can try re-installing the driver.
Sometimes this wil bring it back to a default state.

I have to say I've never experienced this and it's not something I've seen reported, so it could be as simple as a driver glitching a little.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#6) Old

Default 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM

might be a stupid question, but how do I go about re-installing the driver?
  (#7) Old
Expert Member

Default 06-14-2011, 10:52 PM

They can be found on the dell site under support.
You can also check out a few threads here that go into detail on the subject.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#8) Old

Default 06-23-2011, 12:23 AM

Well I finally got around to updating. I went to the Dell support website and did that whole drivers thing. And restarted my Duo and still no dice with the screen after closing the lid. Is there a certain driver that I have to update or reinstall? And if so, how?
  (#9) Old

Default 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM

So I actually registered just to respond to you. You'll need to contact Dell, it's a hardware issue. I had the exact same problem, any time the screen turns off touch input goes wonky. For me, only 1/4 of the screen would respond to touch. Hibernate/restart will fix the issue until the screen is powered down again. The screen and associated touch input hardware needs to be replaced. Good luck with their support, it took me 6 months before I managed to get a fully working unit from them
  (#10) Old

Default 07-23-2011, 02:57 AM

Dell technical sucks. We diagnosed a hardware issue with the screen on my Duo and I sent to to the repair depot twice to have screen replaced and both times they re-installed windows and sent it back exactly the same. I called to return the unit because I was still in my window and they finally agreed to an exchange.