Alienware M11X Discussion on the Alienware Gaming Ultra Portable, the M11X.

(#1) Old

Default output to hdtv - 02-25-2010, 10:00 PM

recieved my m11x today! Trying to hook it up to the hdtv as i type but having no luck in any way? I have plugged the lead into the tv and the m11x although nothing is being prompted on the laptop or coming up on the tv, any help would be mighty nice!
  (#2) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 05:47 AM

I have not tried this yet but looking at the keyboard you will most likely want to hold the FN key and then press F1 to swap disaplays. You will also most likely need to be using the nvidia card to do this. Hold FN and press F6 to swap video cards. I will try it in a few hours when i get home and let you know
  (#3) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl33t View Post
recieved my m11x today! Trying to hook it up to the hdtv as i type but having no luck in any way? I have plugged the lead into the tv and the m11x although nothing is being prompted on the laptop or coming up on the tv, any help would be mighty nice!
swl,

I haven't tried this yet on my M11x, but I did it several times on my Inspiron 11z. There are a couple things you should know:

1) You can output HD just fine on the Intel 4500MHD. It has built-in ability to handle HD content just fine.

2) To enable the external display through HDMI, you will need to right-click on the desktop, and click Personalize. When you get the Personalize (wallpaper, themes, etc) screen, click on Display on the lower left, then click Change Display Settings on the resulting window, top left. Once you are in Display Settings, you should see the external TV/monitor in addition to the built-in display. There you can change your settings for mirror or extend desktop and so on.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Charlie

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#4) Old

Default 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM

ive got it working, however, the screen on the hdtv doesnt fit! on my hdtv the output appears to large for the screen... ive tried messing around with the resolution but no luck, any ideas? thanks
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 02-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
ive got it working, however, the screen on the hdtv doesnt fit! on my hdtv the output appears to large for the screen... ive tried messing around with the resolution but no luck, any ideas? thanks
If it's a flat screen, your HDTV is the problem. It's overscanning. Try playing with TV settings like "zoom", "picture size", etc. On my HDTV, naming the input "PC" helps.

It's possible to compensate on the computer side (this might be necessary if you have a CRT or projector), but it's better to start on the TV side.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
If it's a flat screen, your HDTV is the problem. It's overscanning. Try playing with TV settings like "zoom", "picture size", etc. On my HDTV, naming the input "PC" helps.

It's possible to compensate on the computer side (this might be necessary if you have a CRT or projector), but it's better to start on the TV side.
This is one of those things that sometimes you can never get perfect! I always had to have the HD display of my Acer Revo inset a bit.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.