Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Real problem reinstalling OS X - 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM

So I have come across a problem that no amount of searching through old threads has given me an answer for.

I had a working install of 10.6.7 but wiped it and installed Ubuntu. So here is whats happening when I try to re install:

I create a usb for nbi 0.8.4 rc1 and a usb for the leopard install disk but whenever I try to boot nbi I get this error "Unable to patch 64bit kernel. Please use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find mach_kernel". I have tried formatting the hard drive with gparted to fat32, ntfs etc but I am still getting this error. I used transmac to format both drives, I even tried using a friends mac to create a single bootable leopard installation with netbookmaker but the panic persists.

I know this forum isn't very active but any help would be appreciated
  (#2) Old

Default 09-14-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ello
So I have come across a problem that no amount of searching through old threads has given me an answer for.

I had a working install of 10.6.7 but wiped it and installed Ubuntu. So here is whats happening when I try to re install:

I create a usb for nbi 0.8.4 rc1 and a usb for the leopard install disk but whenever I try to boot nbi I get this error "Unable to patch 64bit kernel. Please use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find mach_kernel". I have tried formatting the hard drive with gparted to fat32, ntfs etc but I am still getting this error. I used transmac to format both drives, I even tried using a friends mac to create a single bootable leopard installation with netbookmaker but the panic persists.

I know this forum isn't very active but any help would be appreciated
Do the following: boot into your Ubuntu USB installer (provided you still have it) ((if not, make a parted magic USB)).

Use Gparted to delete all partitions, and confirm -- leaving your drive as raw space. Reformat to fat32.

Then try the install again. (You'll have to reformat again with is x installer, but this should work).

Cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#3) Old

Default 09-14-2012, 05:28 AM

Well after doing that a few times I was still getting the error but I was able to get to the OS X Installer. New problem..I got this: "Install Failed. Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer" It was about 3/4 of the way installed. Upon reboot I get the same Unable to patch 64bit kernel error which means I have to format the drive again using gparted and for some reason after doing this I get a new error when booting up just the nbi usb.. "This is not a bootable disk" But when I have both nbi and leopard usbs plugged in it works fine and I'm able to get to the OS X install screen again. So here I go.. maybe the third times the charm. Any idea why I'm getting this new error?

Edit: Thanks for the help. It finally worked. I just unchecked some of the optional updates.. printer and languages. Install was shorter and actually went through this time. I guess OS X has grown on me.

Last edited by ello; 09-14-2012 at 06:14 AM.
  (#4) Old

Default 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ello
Well after doing that a few times I was still getting the error but I was able to get to the OS X Installer. New problem..I got this: "Install Failed. Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer" It was about 3/4 of the way installed. Upon reboot I get the same Unable to patch 64bit kernel error which means I have to format the drive again using gparted and for some reason after doing this I get a new error when booting up just the nbi usb.. "This is not a bootable disk" But when I have both nbi and leopard usbs plugged in it works fine and I'm able to get to the OS X install screen again. So here I go.. maybe the third times the charm. Any idea why I'm getting this new error?

Edit: Thanks for the help. It finally worked. I just unchecked some of the optional updates.. printer and languages. Install was shorter and actually went through this time. I guess OS X has grown on me.
Yeah. ... there were some instances were the install failed error message would come up even though the process had actually completed fine. Taking out the optional packages was one way of eliminating the message... oddly enough, in my experience, opening the log window would also return a favorable outcome-even with a full install.. in any case, glad you got it going.

Word to the wise, disable automatic updates in Software Update. It could render or new hackintosh unbootable. Do your homework in the update threads before u proceed with updating..

Cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
  (#5) Old

Default Dell Mini10V (no OS) Leopard 10.6.3 - 06-27-2013, 10:16 PM

Having a very similar problem to the one here. Trying to get some use out of the Dell. The Mini hard drive has been formatted with GParted (Fat32) and I'm using NBI 0.8.4 RC1 to boot USB, get unable to "patch 64bit kernel" error. Using the method described at
**mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-guides/24839-os-x-10-6-3-retail-dvd-usb-no-mac-guide.html**
retail copy, CloneDVD etc... while the Mini is flashing the error, I can press F8 and I get a visual of the OSX install DVD drive but when I hit enter, it flashes the 64bit error again and then gives Memory allocation error (0x103e52b0, 0x73fc0000)...
I am flummoxed..please help
Thanks for whatever you might be able to do.
trankdm
  (#6) Old

Default 06-30-2013, 09:29 AM

This is a particularly strange issue. But there is a solution. I know I wrote it out at least twice before on these threads... but I'm not about to dig for them, it's been too long ago.

Anyway, here's what you do:
use GParted to delete all partitions on the drive. Commit so the drive is left as RAW Space. Reformat to fat 32 (repartition to your needs). Try your install again. That'll do the trick.

As far as I could figure, the problem arose from the boot loader (chameleon) finding remnants of a prior install of either OS X or Linux. BTW, this isn't a solution I found anywhere. It just happened to be my last resort when I came across the issue, and it worked.

cheers.