Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default dual boot at start-up - 03-03-2012, 07:36 PM

I've successfully got a Snow Leopard 10.6.7 and Windows 7 Starter dual boot system on my 10v (started up with SL USB stick, partitioned hard drive in Disk Utility, making Windows 1st partition - though not sure if that mattered. Then booted into Windows 7 Install DVD & installed Windows, then back to SL memory stick to install SL).
Result: to boot into SL, leave netbook to go past the screen where I get the Hack HD icon and the decreasing progress bar; to boot into Windows, press any key when I see the the Hack HD icon and the decreasing progress bar.
Which is fine, but lacking in elegance I feel and, if I want Windows, I've got to watch and pounce at the right moment.
What I'd love to have is a point where both OS icons are on the screen without my having to intervene and press any key when I see the the Hack HD icon and the decreasing progress bar.
.....?
Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 03-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Me too, I have asked this before in the Chameleon forums but never got an answer. But, as it is open source and the source code is freely available there is nothing to stop us learning how to make it do anything we want, so, after you my friend
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#3) Old

Default 03-03-2012, 10:47 PM

If only!! However, I've just bought a 10v running Ubuntu - my first excursion into Linux - perhaps I'll begin to learn about open-source stuff. So far I know only Macs and enough about Windows to have dual-booting. Maybe it's 'triple-booting-here-I-come...?!
  (#4) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 06:45 AM

Check my sig, I'm booting three
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#5) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 07:22 AM

OK - I'm impressed. What to you have at startup: a point where all 3 choices present themselves without any previous intervention from you? If so, I'd really like to know how you do that.
  (#6) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM

there is a way to do this.. don't know exact steps atm.. i've done it a while back but can't remember.. anyway,it has to do with modifying an invisible plist file associated with chameleon. i'll look into it and post back if i figure it out again.

cheers.

addendum:

so what you need to do is modify the file: com.apple.Boot.plist
located: Macintosh HD/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
(where "Macintosh HD" is your Mini's internal Mac partition)

specifically, open the file (it will launch in textedit normally) scroll down towards the bottom and delete the lines: <key>timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
save the file.
[it's possible i may have edited this file before so the 5 may be a different value for you]

after doing this, your mini will launch straight into the options menu for all your OSs--no delay (KEEP READING)

the thing is that the file is locked by permissions, and the extra folder is invisible AND locked by permissions. so when you find the file you won't be able to modify it straight away. there is a way to do it via terminal.. but i'm to lazy to figure it out atm... so the other way is to change the permissions in the info window for both the folder and the plist file. specifically, you need to add yourself to the list in the permissions area, and give yourself read/write access.

but first you have to make invi files visible. for that, do the following:

Open a Terminal.

type in the following:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE [enter]
killall Finder [enter]

you can hide everything back once you're done by running the same command and writing FALSE instead of TRUE..

one caveat. .... this whole process WILL NOT survive a re-running of NBI.. so if you ever have to run NBI on your drive, you'll have to do this all over again.

cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

Last edited by Oscar; 03-04-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: additional info:
  (#7) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Hey! Oscar! Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
  (#8) Old

Default 03-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Nice one Oscar, I logged in as root to get over the permissions thing.
The only thing now that I would like to be able to do is change the label of my Ubuntu partition.
At the moment is says Linux even though I have labeled my Ubuntu partition to Ubuntu. The problem is Chameleon will only pick up the label if thye partition is on an MBR partition table. The only way I can see to do it would be to change the source code and recompile, a job beyond me.
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#9) Old

Default 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabhunter View Post
Nice one Oscar, I logged in as root to get over the permissions thing.
The only thing now that I would like to be able to do is change the label of my Ubuntu partition.
At the moment is says Linux even though I have labeled my Ubuntu partition to Ubuntu. The problem is Chameleon will only pick up the label if thye partition is on an MBR partition table. The only way I can see to do it would be to change the source code and recompile, a job beyond me.
Mike
not too sure on this one... i can't think of a way to do this but i don't think its a partition table issue as you suggest. i think it's more of a file system issue. somehow i don't think it's doable.

but like i say, not so sure.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#10) Old

Default 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM

The only way I've thought of doing it is to restore osx onto an external drive then repartition my drive MBR and restore osx back again and reinstall chameleon. I would also have to backup and restore windows and Ubuntu and I just can't be bothered just to change a label on the bootmanager.
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04