Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#11) Old

Default 06-06-2011, 11:03 PM

got my mini pci-e slot soldered in tested it out using my wireless card
could only get it to detect the bluetooth part of the card but that part was working good

there is a settiging in the bios to decide what the wireless button turns on and off.
I had it set were it doesnt mess with the wwan and the switch didnt effect it, but if you like you
can set it to toggle just the wwan slot. Also is the a differance in the two slots, or is it set up
for wwan or could I possible run a gps card in it and then if I wanted I could run usb off of my
light sensor or web cam or do you guys think it would be better to run usb off of the card I have
and use a usb gps

Last edited by ray420; 06-06-2011 at 11:07 PM.
  (#12) Old
Expert Member

Default 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Wow!
Very nice!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#13) Old

Default 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Strange it only detects the bluetooth module...

Maybe they locked something in the bios for the secondary slot? So we should hack the bios also to get it fully working probably? That sounds shitty... I know you can edit bios files in the past or otherwise with a hexeditor.

I'm just thinking about another post I made. Could this be the problem why it only detects the bluetooth module?
Quote:
Good morning,

I've checked it and at the moment the duo's are not supplied with GPS.

The reason is that Dell is busy investigating an issue that occurs when a GPS module is in it.

If you really want it, I encourage you to return the system and wait for the GPS version comes out.

Right now I can't say anything about that.

Last edited by Pascal Saul; 06-07-2011 at 09:28 PM.
  (#14) Old

Default 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM

I don't know I didn't mess around with it to much cause i had to hold down the card cause its designed for a longer card than what i have. I read somewhere that you couldn't run a pci-e ssd card in one made for wwan so i figured it was a hardware thing but i don't Im still learning about modding laptops. but it hopefully it detects either the usb card i got or mini pci-e gps card i haven't decided completely witch route im taking. the gps card would definitely be easier but with the usb card i was thinking about adding a card reader maybe in the empty spot beside the hard drive but not sure if i can find one that will fit and not look junky on the side
  (#15) Old

Default 06-12-2011, 01:48 AM

I just ordered a mini pcie gps card and i pulled the hold down screw out of a old mother board so i will see how that works out. I got the dell dw700 i think is the model. Its made by AzureWare. i got it from ebay for 35 bucks. So if t works out thats the main thing I would like to add to the duo. Hopefully it will get good signal it had the bigger anntenna than the others I see so maybe it will. I would like to add a few other thing but I was thinking I could maybe run usb off of the light sensor or web cam via usb hud.
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Usually the WWAN slot has the USB pins connected only.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#17) Old

Default 06-12-2011, 06:21 PM

is that why the wifi part of my card didnt work and should the gps card work it said its for a wwan card slot so im assuming it will.
  (#18) Old

Default 07-05-2011, 09:38 PM

well got the gps working pretty good but couldnt figure out a way to disable/enable it in ubuntu and it ate up my battery pretty good so i pulled the card until i can figure out a way to toggle the card on and off if anybody knows of a linux program that let you disable just the gps let me know cause i couldnt get the bios settings for the fn f2 button to work in ubuntu it just toggles the wifi and bluetoth no matter how i have it set