Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#31) Old

Default 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Thank for the reply Strider. I see you upgraded the wireless to an Intel 6200 Wifi, why?

Wireless is not my specialty so I am not sure why an upgrade from the installed Wireless "N" is needed? I have noticed on streaming video I get a small amount of lag but not much. The roomer mill at work (I am an Imaging Engineer for a local hospital network) is to wait for the next generation from Dell. It is supposed to use the same Atom Dual Core but it will have the integrated nVidia ION graphics core and a much better screen. The viewing angles on this one suck!
  (#32) Old
Expert Member

Default 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM

There is a thread here on the Duo forums about upgrading the internal wireless because of the mediocre performance of the original combo card. The Intel card was inexpensive, and the swap was also dead simple. Wireless performance is much better than the original one.

I like modifying stuff I own. I knew I'd be modding my Duo in some way and this seemed like a great start.

I agree about the screen angles. I had to prop up the back of my Audio Station with a couple of rubber feet from Radio Shack so the screen looked right on my desk.

Yeah, not a perfect machine, not a bad one either.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#33) Old

Default ssd & std hd - 07-18-2011, 09:50 PM

I upgraded my dell mini with a runcor ssd and loved it. For those who have cracked open the duo, is there any space inside to use an ssd for the os and keep the 7200 rpm drive for storage and page files?

Thanks,
Bill
  (#34) Old

Default 07-18-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzen View Post
I upgraded my dell mini with a runcor ssd and loved it. For those who have cracked open the duo, is there any space inside to use an ssd for the os and keep the 7200 rpm drive for storage and page files?

Thanks,
Bill
absolutely no chance, there's very little empty space in there
  (#35) Old

Default 07-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzen View Post

Thanks,
Bill
There is a missing PCI-E slot where the WWAN card should be. The tracks look like they are all in place so if you are handy with a soldering iron then you might be able to solder a pci-e slot in place
  (#36) Old
Administrator

Default 07-20-2011, 12:06 AM

Those pads are wired for USB only. It is not a real MiniPCIe slot. The chipset doesn't provide an option for a second disk.

A pagefile on an SSD is fine. SSDs are coming down in price a lot, though if you want the same capacity as a rotating disk it will cost you plenty still.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#37) Old

Default 08-21-2011, 07:44 PM

I've upgraded my Dell Duo to 100 GB SSD.
I don't see it's much faster or battery lives longer =((
The only good thing i noticed is that the device became less noisy.
  (#38) Old

Default 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherepets View Post
I've upgraded my Dell Duo to 100 GB SSD.
I don't see it's much faster or battery lives longer =((
The only good thing i noticed is that the device became less noisy.
My experience of the SSD upgrade was exactly the same except that I got regular lockups so I dumped it in favour of the Seagate Momentus XT with which I'm very happy, & I have room to store everything I want.
  (#39) Old

Default 08-27-2011, 05:29 PM

I put a Intel 80GB X25-m into my dell duo with no issue. All I had to do was unscrew the black bezel from the top and it fit just fine. Please do NOT install an SSD for the sole purpose of getting better battery life. You may see a little bit of an increase but nothing substantial. Remember that most of your battery life will be sucked up by your LCD backlight and what you are doing/using on your lappy. If you want the boot time to be much much quicker, applications to load up without much wait time, and overall better responsiveness, upgrade to ssd.

That being said, I have an extra 80 GB intel SSD similar to the one I have in my dell duo up for grabs. PM me
  (#40) Old

Default 08-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Is there any other way to increase battery life?
Or buying external battery is the only way?