Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Unhappy Please help to boot from usb - 04-16-2011, 01:42 AM

Hello everyone nice to meet you I am kelley.

I have a need/desire to be able to boot my duo from a USB stick (I have a bootable iso image on the usb stick). However when i insert a bootable usb I never get the option to boot from it. I get a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner. When I go into my bios to choose what device too boot from I only get diskette drive and hard drive. When choosing diskette drive of course it does not work. Can some one please help me as I need to do this? (I am currently ona different machine)

Thank you

Kelley
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 04-16-2011, 01:38 PM

Does this USB stick boot on another PC? The symptom is that no boot sector was found.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default ok so here is where I am at - 04-16-2011, 10:21 PM

The usb boots the virtualbox VM just fine. However it will not boot either my inspiron duo or my big desktop.... any ideas what could be wrong?
  (#4) Old

Default 04-17-2011, 03:51 AM

I have found that USB sticks will be recognised as hd's by some motherboards.

If you select hard drive in the boot menu does it let you select more than one hd?
  (#5) Old

Default 04-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Step 1 - the trick - make sure your bootable USB stick is in before you turn the Duo on

Step 2. - on startup while in Dell's splash screen, select f2 to enter the BIOS screens.

Arrow over to the Boot menu and change your boot priorities so that USB runs first (select f5 with the USB highlighted and it will step the USB to first priority), HDD second. Save changes and exit, which will begin your reboot...

I run Ubuntu from a USB stick very regularly - the MoBo happily supports boot from USB so you should have zero issues

If you need a more detailed set of instructions let me know - I write tech manuals for a living and will happily draft a little walk-thru if it would be helpful to you?

PS - once the bios is set, to boot from the HDD first, select f12 from teh Dell splash to enter the boot options menu and select HDD instead

Sleeping_Panda

Inspiron 1090 (Duo) since 2/23/11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Optiplex 760; Latitude D630; Latitude D830; Latitude E6410 (and this is just at work)
Technical Support & Training Technician
@ a DOE National Laboratory
  (#6) Old

Default 04-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Have you used unetbootin? I used this to make a bootable linux usb when flashing my Droid X and it works fine for me.
  (#7) Old

Default No option in bios - 04-26-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping_Panda View Post
Step 1 - the trick - make sure your bootable USB stick is in before you turn the Duo on

Step 2. - on startup while in Dell's splash screen, select f2 to enter the BIOS screens.

Arrow over to the Boot menu and change your boot priorities so that USB runs first (select f5 with the USB highlighted and it will step the USB to first priority), HDD second. Save changes and exit, which will begin your reboot...

I run Ubuntu from a USB stick very regularly - the MoBo happily supports boot from USB so you should have zero issues

If you need a more detailed set of instructions let me know - I write tech manuals for a living and will happily draft a little walk-thru if it would be helpful to you?

PS - once the bios is set, to boot from the HDD first, select f12 from teh Dell splash to enter the boot options menu and select HDD instead
Sleeping_panda,

I have the A03 bios and I do not have the option in the bios to boot from usb. I just got the DUO back from Dell where they replaced the hard drive. According to thier website that is the newest bios but there is no usb boot option. I have tried everything I can think of. On top of that I can't get unetbootin to apparently make a correct image either as my desktop will not boot from the usb and it appears to have that option.

So I guess one thing at a time where do I get a bios upgrade that allows me to boot from the usb on my duo?

Thanks

Kelley

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I know have A05 but no boot from usb option I iwll let you know if I make any progress
  (#8) Old

Default 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM

it has nothing to do with A05 bios.. i have same.. yesterday i changed grub setting to SDCARD=premount.. & rebooted .. F12 & bingo i have USB option available.. not sure what the issue is.. but it has to do with Grub
  (#9) Old

Default 05-09-2011, 07:30 PM

To get the boot option to boot from USB you need to ensure your USB stick is in the port BEFORE you start/restart.

From there, access the bios menu and you will be able to select the USB drive as a boot option. If the drive isn't in when you access the bios it will not recognize it as a viable option.

Sleeping_Panda

Inspiron 1090 (Duo) since 2/23/11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Optiplex 760; Latitude D630; Latitude D830; Latitude E6410 (and this is just at work)
Technical Support & Training Technician
@ a DOE National Laboratory
  (#10) Old

Default Got it working... - 07-04-2011, 06:43 AM

In your BIOS, ensure that: USB BIOS Legacy Support is ENABLED.
I could not get the USB to boot until this was enabled!

Last edited by Nhaajuice; 07-04-2011 at 06:45 AM.