Alienware M11X Discussion on the Alienware Gaming Ultra Portable, the M11X.

(#1) Old

Default Intel 5150 wimax / wifi - 02-25-2010, 12:11 AM

I just got my shiny new Alienware m11x :-D and really wanted to be able to use an internal wimax device and they didnt offer a solution with it. Here is a brief description of the solution I found.

I purchased an Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5150 halfhight card and opened up my brand new alienware to remove the current card that was in there already.

I installed the windows 7 64 bit drivers and it got the wimax portion installed but would not install the WiFi drivers at all no matter what I did. But I was able to get it working by using the following drivers.

Install win 7 wimax drivers ICS_s64.exe package from Intel
then go into device manager and install the Windows Vista 64 driver package ICS_Dv64.zip from intel.

Both wimax and wifi are now working. woohoo :-D
  (#2) Old

Default 02-25-2010, 04:39 AM

Aww cool! did you take some pictures??

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old

Default 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM

this is gonna sound funny but i dont have a digital camera. lol
  (#4) Old

Default 03-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Where did you get your Dell Intel Wimax 5150 half-height card from? I want the same setup for my M111x.
  (#5) Old

Default 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM

What games are you currently running on it? How's the performance on it in Windows 7 64-bit?

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#6) Old

Default 03-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Runs all my games great. At the default 1366x768 res, everything I've run runs on high/medium settings such as ME 1/2, Bioshock, Torchlight, etc.

Because of the CPU however, CPU extensiive games like the newely released BF2 (from what I hear) run only on a mix of low/medium settings.

But considering this is an ultraportable, the performance is fantastic. I am highly satisfied with my purchase. With my SU7300 overclocked, bluetooth and wifi on, screen brightness set to 2, and using the Intel IGP, I am getting 6 to 6 1/4 hours of battery life.
  (#7) Old

Default 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domshen View Post
I just got my shiny new Alienware m11x :-D and really wanted to be able to use an internal wimax device and they didnt offer a solution with it. Here is a brief description of the solution I found.

I purchased an Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5150 halfhight card and opened up my brand new alienware to remove the current card that was in there already.

I installed the windows 7 64 bit drivers and it got the wimax portion installed but would not install the WiFi drivers at all no matter what I did. But I was able to get it working by using the following drivers.

Install win 7 wimax drivers ICS_s64.exe package from Intel
then go into device manager and install the Windows Vista 64 driver package ICS_Dv64.zip from intel.

Both wimax and wifi are now working. woohoo :-D
Hi,

I also bought the same 5150 halfheight card and installed it into my M11x. Was able to connect via Wifi, but Wimax did not detect any network, with my mobile broadband SIM card inserted into the SIM card slot that is on the left side of the laptop.

I used the existing antenna that was already there from the Wifi (black & white), do I need to change the antenna? Is there anything else I need to do in order to get the Wimax to work, like installing any driver for the SIM card slot, etc.?

Thanks in advance!!