Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Keyboard and Touch pad problem. - 03-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Before I install XP my keyboard works (booted dos via external USB and pressed all the keys).
After installing Dell Install XP and loading the recommended drivers from Dell drivers disk. The keyboard does not work.
I have uninstalled the keyboard driver and rebooted. Still no working keybaord.
I have tried 2 versions of XP and trolled through the Dell Drivers disk and I still can't find a solution to my problem.
I have also booted Ubuntoo via USB. Still no keyboard.
I have also downgraded the bios from 6 to 4. Still nothing.
Is there a 'knack' to getting the keyboard working in XP?
Can someone please save me from pulling out what remains of my hair!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 03-01-2012, 05:39 PM

there is no secret here, it should just work, make sure that you are using 1011 drivers not 1010 drivers, but outside of that it should just work

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
there is no secret here, it should just work, make sure that you are using 1011 drivers not 1010 drivers, but outside of that it should just work
Many thanks for the quick reply.
That is what I keep telling myself, it should just work! The disks are the ones that came with the 10v.
I have just swapped the hard drive, out of desperation, and carried out a fresh install. Still the same. I can use the keyboard to input while XP is installing. Re-boot, can't use the keyboard or touchpad.
I can plug in an external usb keyboard and mouse and they work fine. It is a real puzzle.
I have a 10v keyboard and touchpad on its way to me. I hope that cures the problem. But I am still open to suggestions!
I have got some other versions of Windows to try in the meantime.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM

i know its of no help but ive just had to change my hard drive and install xp using the disc i was giving with the netbook , i allso now have no working touchpad allthough the keyboard is working fine ,im having to use a mouse ive tried to download every available driver going and nothing has worked at all.....i find it very strange that my hard drive died a week after my years service was up and 3 days after i had a ...update from dell...if i cant find the required drivers in the next day or so this netbook will be getting slung in the bin
  (#5) Old

Default 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzer1230 View Post
if i cant find the required drivers in the next day or so this netbook will be getting slung in the bin
Hold on to that Dell Mini. Have you checked to see that the touch pad cable is pushed fully home?
I am still trying other options.
I have now got two 10Vs. I got the install disks with my second one, so I am going to do a clean install of my newer 10v.
If the install goes well, I am going to swap the drives over and see if it cures the problem. If not then I will swap the keyboards and touch pads.
I will let you know what happens.
  (#6) Old

Default 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM

I have tried using the hard drive from my second machine, after a clean install. Second machine worked perfectly. Still the keyboard and touchpad on my original 10v do not work.
I have tried swapping the keyboard and touchpad. Still the same.
I am going to look at the motherboard and see if the problem is peculiar to a certain board.
This problem is maddening!
  (#7) Old

Default 03-10-2012, 07:58 PM

I am resigned to using the dud 10v for parts after the keyboard and touchpad finally stop working entirely.
Looking at the motherboard I am now wondering if it suffers from the old ball grid array saga. The plague of the Xbox360 and PS3.
I have had some success with reflowing Xboxes and PS3s so I am now going to try cooking my 10V mobo.
I have a pile of other projects but I will report back when I have reflowed the 10V.