Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default 10.6.8 compability - 06-25-2011, 05:42 AM

I saw the 10.6.8 update in the software update section but don't know whether to run it. Did anyone succeed in updating to 10.6.8 without coming up against any issue ??
  (#2) Old

Default 06-25-2011, 06:21 AM

I just did and stuck with an endless reboot just soon as the apple logo comes up.

Ruined by OSX on the 10v
  (#3) Old

Default 10.6.8 - 06-25-2011, 10:25 AM

I updated too and it ruined mine as well. I can boot into osx from my old usb 10.6 stick, choose the internal mac partition and off you go!
Hopefully they will find a fix soon!
  (#4) Old

Default 06-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Yep, I leapt before I looked too, and now screwed!

ideas anyone?

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

OK, I've managed to boot it up, looking at the desktop they seem to have bought in quite a few changes aqua seems to have been altered to bring it inline with the upcoming refinement in Lion, also my wifi isn't recognised so that may well require the card being re-flashed as an airport card as described elsewhere on the sight.

As for how I did it, not particularly scientific I dumped the cache, ran in verbose then recover=y and it's up! currently backing-up furiously before I try to make sure it works next time I turn it off
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-25-2011, 05:11 PM

I took the plunge yesterday also, and have ended up with a continuous 'boot loop' like several others!

I don't know if I can br bothered to go to the trouble of sorting it all out, so am actually considering installing Google Chrome OC instead (as per another thread on here) and having a look at that.

Will probably have to flash my wi-fi card again though, as it is currently configures as aan Apple Airport.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#6) Old

Default 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsessions View Post
Yep, I leapt before I looked too, and now screwed!

ideas anyone?

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

OK, I've managed to boot it up, looking at the desktop they seem to have bought in quite a few changes aqua seems to have been altered to bring it inline with the upcoming refinement in Lion, also my wifi isn't recognised so that may well require the card being re-flashed as an airport card as described elsewhere on the sight.

As for how I did it, not particularly scientific I dumped the cache, ran in verbose then recover=y and it's up! currently backing-up furiously before I try to make sure it works next time I turn it off
any chance of you posting the specific steps to doing that. it would be really helpful.
im in the endless loop
  (#7) Old

Default Partial fix - 06-25-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazimo View Post
any chance of you posting the specific steps to doing that. it would be really helpful.
im in the endless loop
I got it to boot off the hard disk with the following args to the bootloader:

-x -v recovery=yes

wifi does not work, and the reflash to airport procedure looks like a total PITA, so I'm waiting for now.

I can boot from the usb install stick I prepped a year or so ago, selecting the hard drive as the target. Wifi works, but sleep does not, so I need to shutdown and reboot when I would otherwise just close and open the lid.

HOPEFULLY, someone (meklort?) will come up with a fix.....

Red
  (#8) Old

Default More partial fix - 06-25-2011, 08:22 PM

I dug up my OSX 10.6 USB image (copied from DVD to a USB drive) and pressed F8 when booting up - got the prompt to boot off that image, reinstalled SL and was able to get a working machine again. All applications and user preferences intact too

Having problems upgrading back to 10.6.7 but I'll hopefully will have resolved soon..

EDIT: Had to reinstall SL twice - for some reason, the 10.6.7 combo update crashed the first time around. 2nd time worked like a charm. All user prefs and applications intact and running perfectly. Whew.

Last edited by jbloggs; 06-26-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Updated
  (#9) Old

Unhappy 06-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazimo View Post
im in the endless loop
So I started BEFORE updating the NBI 0.8.5 pre, than installed the 10.6.8 combo. So far it works, but it is sooooo slow and neither USB nor any Internet-Connection is regognized. I doubt, that new branding brings any solution because the WiFi-Card and ethernet-Card is shown in System Profiler correctly. Also in Networking. But it is not possible to activate a connection.

It must be somethig else in this update, bothering our Dell's

Last edited by berlinakustik; 06-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.
  (#10) Old

Default 06-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Perhaps we all have to use 10.6.7 for the time being and will update when a new version of NBI has been released