Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Jon K

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endGame

i just got my 64gb and haven't installed yet. probably will today.
Can you link to the exact one you got?
  (#12) Old

Send a message via AIM to FireRunt
Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-18-2008, 04:05 PM

I have a 64GB SSD from mydigitaldiscount. Ive had it installed for about a week. I have no problems with it at all. It runs fine.

I do notice that the machine will run slow if you have a paging file set, so I disable that, and the machine works great. That coupled with a 2GB RAM chip from crucial, I have no problems.

Black Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 64GB SSD - Windows XP Pro/Ubuntu 8.10 (Dual Boot) - 1.3 MP Webcam - Bluetooth - Wifi
  (#13) Old
Jon K

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunt
I have a 64GB SSD from mydigitaldiscount. Ive had it installed for about a week. I have no problems with it at all. It runs fine.

I do notice that the machine will run slow if you have a paging file set, so I disable that, and the machine works great. That coupled with a 2GB RAM chip from crucial, I have no problems.
Can you link to the exact one?
  (#14) Old

Send a message via AIM to FireRunt
Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Black Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 64GB SSD - Windows XP Pro/Ubuntu 8.10 (Dual Boot) - 1.3 MP Webcam - Bluetooth - Wifi
  (#15) Old

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-18-2008, 07:28 PM

I got the 64GB SSD I preordered a month ago on Saturday and have already moved my Vista install to it. It is slower but it does the job as it isnt annoyingly slow. I did what firerunt said and disabled my page file on the drive and it is faster than the 32GB SSD I had Vista installed on. Not sure if there is a difference, as I didnt check the data sheets, but the 64GB drive I got from MDD has Samsung chips on it rather than Toshiba ones the 32GB drive has.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM

I've got one installed in my 9 now. I can't really see much difference in speed between it and the old one, but then again I'm using ext2, while I believe the stock drive came with ext3. The lack of journaling will speed things up and increase the drive's lifespan.

Windows users might be better off with FAT32 instead of NTFS, as the later also uses journaling.

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#17) Old

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-18-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpackrat
I've got one installed in my 9 now. I can't really see much difference in speed between it and the old one, but then again I'm using ext2, while I believe the stock drive came with ext3. The lack of journaling will speed things up and increase the drive's lifespan.

Windows users might be better off with FAT32 instead of NTFS, as the later also uses journaling.
i will NEVER use FAT32 ever again. those random BSOD and scandisk nightmares can kiss my dirty unwiped ass.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-19-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endGame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon K
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxus
I've fitted q 64gb SSD and am running Windows XP and find it painfully slow such that I've switched back to the stock 8gb SSD.

If need the extra strorage space I'd suggest going with an 8 or 16gb SSD when you purchase and getting a 32gb SDHC card and using that for data storage, which is what I've now done.

Why is it slow?
ditto. it should be just as fast/slow as the other MLC SSDs.

i just got my 64gb and haven't installed yet. probably will today.
I don't know why it's slow it just is compared to the stock 8g card, which as far as I know isn't an MLC SSD.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but all I'm doing is reporting my experience and really wish it was faster.

If you can make it run anywhere near as fast as the stock one please let me know how as I'd love to keep mine rather than send it back.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxus
I don't know why it's slow it just is compared to the stock 8g card, which as far as I know isn't an MLC SSD.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but all I'm doing is reporting my experience and really wish it was faster.

If you can make it run anywhere near as fast as the stock one please let me know how as I'd love to keep mine rather than send it back.
well there you go - your stock one is an SLC. MLC and SLC are very different.

although, i bet you're just as bitter as i am, now that runcore will release a fast, same sized SSD for the same price.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: 64GB SSD? - 11-20-2008, 10:18 PM

The stock SSD's in the Dell Mini 9 are STEC MLC drives:

http://www.stec-inc.com/product/umssd.php

They are a good deal faster than the non-Runcore SSDs that MDD was originally selling. The only advice anybody has posted on making them work acceptably is to use FAT32.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n