Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 06:28 AM

I was thinking about switching out my m1330 for a mini 9 for some financial and portability reasons. In your experience, how well does the Windows XP mini 9 run the following programs?

Office 2007 (word, excel, powerpoint, onenote, outlook)
Quicken
Windows Live
Zune software

Given the screen size/resolution, is it hard to type out well-formatted documents?

Also, is there any word on more advanced configurations/discounts being offered to where waiting a month or two could be good?

Thanks in advance
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 07:51 AM

yes and yes

as for the typing its not too bad depends on your fingers and how agile you are with your touch.

Mini9: 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, 16GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, WinXP Home
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM

if your docs have a lot of apostrophes, then it's going to need some time to get used to.

it runs all the applications just fine, although some may induce a minor wait time, compared to instantly loading on a, say, c2d.

and if you want to improve on that, you can always put CAS/CLS 4 2GB RAM in there. although it only yielded single-digit improvements on a c2d machine, on an atom, i could imagine you'll get much more. i remember back in the P3 and P4 days, RAM timing was one of those things you put a lot of consideration into. now the processors are so fast it makes the timings almost nothing to brag home about.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 01:20 PM

It is fine with Office 2007. That is the main thing I use it for. 2Gb RAM comes in handy for a bit of light multitasking.

As for the keyboard, I have big hands and after a couple of weeks with it I'm almost as fast on it as a full size keyboard. Not something you'd want to type on for hours and hours on end, but then again most people won't be using it as a desktop replacement.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM

I've got Vista and Office 2007 on mine as well as Live Messenger. I'll load the Zune software a little later today. Also have Photoshop 7 installed, a few other small apps and stuff.

Right now I've got about 3 gig free. I did use a vLite'd version of Vista Ultimate, but what's killing my space now is the Office SP1 and Security updates that have been installing....

I'm waiting for faster/cheaper PCIe SSD's to come out, and will probably go to 64GB when they do.

Black Mini 9 - Runcore 64 SSD - 2GB Ram - 1.3 Cam - BT - Windows 7
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endGame
if your docs have a lot of apostrophes, then it's going to need some time to get used to.

it runs all the applications just fine, although some may induce a minor wait time, compared to instantly loading on a, say, c2d.

and if you want to improve on that, you can always put CAS/CLS 4 2GB RAM in there. although it only yielded single-digit improvements on a c2d machine, on an atom, i could imagine you'll get much more. i remember back in the P3 and P4 days, RAM timing was one of those things you put a lot of consideration into. now the processors are so fast it makes the timings almost nothing to brag home about.
If you have a problem with apostrophes use the link in my sig.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 09:07 PM

I've had great luck with Office '07 on the Mini. Handles PP presentations without a problem (using dual screen presentation with presenter mode). I do have 2GB RAM. I avoid Adobe programs on computers like these, though. I'll allow Reader onto my personal quad core, and Acrobat onto my dual core work computer. But on the Mini I used foxit to view PDF's. (I realize you're doing much more than Acrobat, but one of my big beefs with Adobe is their update procedures and program.)

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-13-2008, 11:36 PM

I use Dreamweaver on my Mini for my webpage class,if it can handle that,im sure it can handle anything you can throw at it with Office

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Is the mini 9 okay for office 2007 and... - 11-14-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
Quote:
Originally Posted by endGame

If you have a problem with apostrophes use the link in my sig.
thanks. i'm well aware of it. i just don't have a good place to remap it to, so i decided to just live with it and get used to the new key.