Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#31) Old

Default 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I gather you didn't read the linked article. The Dell model includes the Broadcom HD video decoder.
I gather you just skimmed through the linked article. Where does it say the new model by default includes the Broadcom video decoder?

"Dell is continuing its trend of offering more customization options than just about any other netbook vendor. That includes Bluetooth, 3G, and GPS options, as well as a number of entertainment-focused options including a higher resolution 1366 x 768 pixel display, a Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator, and a built-in TV tuner."

...which doesn't really count, because you can technically add that video decoder to any N280/N270 netbook to support HD video playback.
  (#32) Old
Administrator

Default 12-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Point taken.

Steve
  (#33) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Once the new lines come to fruition, I am interested to see comparisons between the current Mini 10, Mini 10v and the "next generation".

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#34) Old

Default Re: Mini 10 Updates - 12-21-2009, 09:29 PM

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed elsewhere. With regards to the integrated graphics that will be on the Pinetrail Mini 10, is there any hope that this will run OS X well, or will this be an oddball that X will not like? Thanks.
  (#35) Old
Administrator

Default 12-21-2009, 09:40 PM

I would guess that the initial answer is that OS X won't like it, as it is unlike any official Mac configuration. However, as I understand that people have managed to get OS X to run on the current Mini 10, it does not seem farfetched that it might eventually be made to run on this too. No telling until people get it and try it.

Steve
  (#36) Old

Default 12-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Of course, they could just stick the new chips in the current models. I'm hoping that won't be the case because I'm looking to buy a current-gen netbook on the cheap early next year.
I'm not sure about this any more. That new 10 at $299 works nicely for me, I hope.
  (#37) Old
Administrator

Default 12-21-2009, 10:23 PM

No, they certainly can't "stick the new chips in the current models". The current models circuit boards are laid out for the current three-chip solution, whereas the new ones are a two-chip solution. A complete redesign is required.

Steve
  (#38) Old

Default 12-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
No, they certainly can't "stick the new chips in the current models". The current models circuit boards are laid out for the current three-chip solution, whereas the new ones are a two-chip solution. A complete redesign is required.
At some level, a complete redesign is always required. A redesign that results in a circuit board that the other parts fit with would lessen the need to blow out the other parts at cheap prices, though.

ETA: Take for instance the eee 1005 -- it looks like the Pine Trail version is probably going to use a lot of the same parts (on the exterior at least). This new Mini 10 looks to use few of Dell's 10/10v parts.

ETA2: Wonder when the current 10 (and 10v) prices take a dive...