Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Angry Operating system not found - 08-01-2009, 07:42 AM

Pxe-e61 media test failure, check cable
pxe-m0f exiting pxe rom
operating system not found

please help i have invoicing on laptop that i need to get off

any ideas anyone
  (#2) Old

Default 08-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Power it on and tap on 2 until you go into the BIOS setup. See if the SSD is detected in the BIOS and if its capacity is correct.

If it is, boot to a Ubuntu USB stick, get your files off, and reinstall the OS.

If it's not, turn the system off, take out the SSD, put it back in, and try again. If it's still not detected and the correct capacity, you'll probably need to call Dell for another SSD. And you probably won't be able to get your invoice back.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
  (#3) Old

Default dropbox - 08-23-2009, 12:04 PM

It has been said before on this forum, but you should really install dropbox to keep your files safe.

Personally, it has saved my bacon. Full English Breakfast, in fact. I was just done writing my thesis, I printed it out and handed it in, and when I came back, OSX told me it couldn't save any files. Fine, I thought, I'll just reboot, and then I got the same problems you now have. Thank God, dropbox had synced my docs before the system crashed, so I could just continue working on my iMac, otherwise I'd have lost two days worth of writing, that's over ten thousand words.

Please, please, please do yourself the favour of looking into it, because it is the easiest and most secure way of keeping your files safe, I cannot stress the debt of gratitude I have for installing it.

I am not affiliated or anything, I'm just really grateful to have my thesis saved.

This won't help you with your current predicament, but it might be helpful in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpropertyservices View Post
Pxe-e61 media test failure, check cable
pxe-m0f exiting pxe rom
operating system not found

please help i have invoicing on laptop that i need to get off

any ideas anyone

Mac OSX 10.6 on Dell Mini 9
  (#4) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 09:40 PM

I'm having the same issue on a Mini9 that I was running OSX on. If I need to call Dell for support, is there anything I should be careful to not say ? IOW, I'm guessing installing OSX would void the warranty so I don't want to say anything to cause myself more problems. BTW, I received the computer with Ubuntu installed, not Windows.
  (#5) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 08-31-2009, 10:29 PM

Installing OSX won't void the warranty, but you should make an attempt to reinstall Ubuntu to make sure there isn't a hardware issue with the SSD or Mini itself.

Getting an iPad
  (#6) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
Installing OSX won't void the warranty, but you should make an attempt to reinstall Ubuntu to make sure there isn't a hardware issue with the SSD or Mini itself.
Okay thanks.
  (#7) Old

Default 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM

This same thing happened to me last week. After a couple of hours on the phone with customer support, they sent me a new SSD. I installed it reinstalled OS X and everything ran fine for two days. Then back to the same thing.

The BIOS sees the drive and reports the correct size.

Booting into either the OS X or Ubuntu 9.10 the drive is there, but with no partitions.

Both installers fail as they try to setup/format the drive.

When I boot from the Recovery Media (Ubuntu 8.04) It detects the drive, delets the partition table, creates a new partition table, formats it, mounts it, copies the system root, unmounts, reboots and....

Operating System not found

Are the stock drives that bad, or am I just unlucky enough to get to bad ones? Or is there another hardware problem corrupting the drive? (the only question keeping me from just giving up on Dell and getting a runcore)

I'll update this thread after contacting Customer Support again. That is, when I work up the desire to troubleshoot with someone on the other side of the globe who only knows as much english as is on his dichotomous key.
  (#8) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavis View Post
This same thing happened to me last week. After a couple of hours on the phone with customer support, they sent me a new SSD. I installed it reinstalled OS X and everything ran fine for two days. Then back to the same thing.

The BIOS sees the drive and reports the correct size.

Booting into either the OS X or Ubuntu 9.10 the drive is there, but with no partitions.

Both installers fail as they try to setup/format the drive.

When I boot from the Recovery Media (Ubuntu 8.04) It detects the drive, delets the partition table, creates a new partition table, formats it, mounts it, copies the system root, unmounts, reboots and....

Operating System not found

Are the stock drives that bad, or am I just unlucky enough to get to bad ones? Or is there another hardware problem corrupting the drive? (the only question keeping me from just giving up on Dell and getting a runcore)

I'll update this thread after contacting Customer Support again. That is, when I work up the desire to troubleshoot with someone on the other side of the globe who only knows as much english as is on his dichotomous key.
That's exactly what happens with mine. It's really strange that it sees the drive but won't format it. I went on live chat with tech and they told me to call the dept which is devoted to Ubuntu ( I was runing OSX on it) machines. Also strange since everything I described to the tech pointed to it being a hardware problem . I'll call when I have a couple of free hours . Not fun.
Does anyone think it's NOT a good idea to say I was running OSX it?
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default 09-02-2009, 01:28 PM

It is not a good idea to say you are running OS X - they'll just tell you that's unsupported. Stick with the issues on Ubuntu.

Steve
  (#10) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM

I've seen it said on here over and over that installing OS X is not an issue with the warranty for your hardware. Google also provided a number of discussions from which I would say there is a general consensus that it will not void your warranty.

I failed to mention I installed it, though. They asked me about installing software and I told them about upgrading o Ubuntu 9.10 and then we pretty much just stuck to trying to reinstall from the recovery media. I avoided it many because I was afraid it would complicate the troubleshooting. I knew it was a hardware problem within a couple of minute of when everything broke. I was just getting annoyed how long it took them to rule out software. To be fair, I couldn't do that any faster with someone over the phone any faster. I just wasn't in a good mood, for obvious reasons.

To quicken the phone call just stick to what they tell you to do. Don't try to explain all the steps you took because they may not understand anything about computer systems. After answering the question "what is the problem?" with a good bit of detail, I was promptly asked what color the power button was. So, they don't know enough to know that you know what you are talking about. So, just play dumb. Answer the questions they ask and do what they tell you, even if you've done it 5 times yourself.

Oh, and they'll keep telling you to use F2 to get in the the BIOS config and F10 for the boot menu. It didn't help when I told them it was the number 2 and 0. They kept reading the function keys. Then they told me to hit F12 during boot. I just hung my head and laughed to myself for a moment.

But anyway... When I call back about the new drive failing, I am going to mention OS X. I'm not sure I want another stock SDD, anyway. If they say it voids the warranty, I'll just have to buy a Runcore or Super Talent.b