Yup, comes with Quickoffice
Great. Definately the full version yes?

Brilliant review btw
  (#22) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM

it definitely appears to be, I'm not sure what the difference would be,

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#23) Old

Default 07-02-2010, 05:34 PM

It isn't the full version. You are only able to read the documents not edit them.
  (#24) Old

Default 07-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyrrell View Post
It isn't the full version. You are only able to read the documents not edit them.
Damn. How annoying. You know how much the full app is?

Also, on the phone you have reviewed which is on O2, how much O2 branding is there? Is it just a splash screen at when you start up or is there other stuff on it aswell? Im debating whether its worth another £100 to get it from Dell completely unlocked.

Thanks, Ed.
  (#25) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 07-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Damn. How annoying. You know how much the full app is?

Also, on the phone you have reviewed which is on O2, how much O2 branding is there? Is it just a splash screen at when you start up or is there other stuff on it aswell? Im debating whether its worth another £100 to get it from Dell completely unlocked.

Thanks, Ed.
The only O2 branding is the splash screen and the wallpapers which you can change. I'd only really get it from Dell ifit being locked to O2 is a hassle for you, that £100 saved could be spent on cancelling contracts and stuff

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#26) Old

Default 07-03-2010, 09:54 PM

Can anyone comment on the sound quality / volume mainly through earphones I'm interested in but also has anyone tried bluetooth earphones?
  (#27) Old

Default Android 2.2... - 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Awesome review..thanks for owner insights!!

The only thing that is stopping me from rushing out to buy one straight away is the current absence of Android 2.2. 1.6 seems ok, but from what I understand flash isn't supported and neither is the BBC iplayer app.

My reservations are simple; I dont know when 2.2 will be released and when it is will Dell provide an upgrade path from 1.6 to 2.2.

I might be able to get past buying one now if I had some confidence that 2.2 was on its way (with a specified date), but after speaking with the useless (and rude!) Dell Streak product team they didnt have any info on expected dates...

is it possible to install vanialla 2.2, is the device rooted yet and is it easy/ possible to create a back up of the out of the box O/s in case of really breaking it when trying to break it?

anyone got any ideas....??
  (#28) Old

Default 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM

The Streak is rooted but we don't have any custom 2.1/2.2 ROM's yet, I believe this is because Dell haven't released the Streak source code which they are required to do.

If I knew 2.2 was coming and when or at least that we were definitely going to be able to have Custom 2.2 roms via rooting I would be ordering a Streak right now but I think now I've been using 2.2 on my Desire I might miss it.....
  (#29) Old
Banned

Default 07-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Dell:
Where's the advertising?!
Where's the support?!
Be it on this forum or others, there's barely any members or interest.

The hacks website seems to be gaining a lot of interest so that's some reassurance.

Accessories, are you kidding?! £25 for a data cable etc.

O2:
My local O2 store were definitely pushing the iphone 4 over any other phone, even though it was sold out at the time. The Streak never even got a mention; i was 2 seconds away from getting the htc desire when I saw a Streak poster on the wall at the back of the shop.
I've heard they're doing this in many O2 stores, which is kind of ok as their shop staff might actually think the new iphone is better, but then O2 shouldn't have got the exclusivity if it's going to take 2nd, 3rd or even 4th place.
If Streak sales dwindle so does everything else associated with it! (apps, web apps, updates...)

Although I have always had good performance from O2, I only stuck with them because I get 30% off any contract (friends & family).

Wifi:
Doesn't appear to be as strong as my iphone 3g, down to one bar unless I'm in the same room as my router.

Doesn't automatically connect to my home wifi either, have to stop/start on the phone. Never had this problem with my iphone, nor do I with my pc & laptops.

Battery life:
Pretty good, much better than the 3g.

UI:
The 3 buttons on the right side aren't that responsive, often having to touch 2 or 3 times before I get a response, especially bad if you're not holding the phone in your hands. The vibration they make is annoying too, and it can't be turned off.
I say on the right side because, unlike the iphone, it only has 2 orientations.

With the extra so called real estate, you'd think the keyboard would be a dream to use, yet it feels more cramped than the much smaller iphone screen, not helped by a generally poor screen touch accuracy.
Placing the cursor in between text somewhere is frustrating, & selecting text to cut/copy is not pleasent, overall typing is not that accurate and the auto- correct/predict feature isn't the best.

Android1.6:
Lets hope 2.2 is around the corner, & lets hope it's considerably better!
There are bugs galore on this thing -

Usb keeps disconnecting after a few minutes when copying lots of small files, such as music singles, but strangely ok for much bigger files such as an mp4 film in a few parts. Pc errors out if copying files to/from pc at the time. Have to wake phone, reestablish connection & start copying afresh.

Screen lock has stopped working all of a sudden. Before, I had to touch the menu button after the wake button to unlock, but now the screen becomes active with just the press of the latter, that can be easily done when in your pocket etc.
Couldn't find a setting for this so enabled the pattern lock instead.

Landscape keypad comes up shrunk quite frequently, have to turn portrait and back again to rectify.

Browsing:
Much better than the iphone due to the inherent advantages of a bigger screen. Browser is good & easy enough to use, plus there are plenty of alternatives in the Market.

Maps/GPS
Excellent, like having the real mccoy.

Bluetooth:
Excellent, quality sound in all applications. Also get full command functionality from bluetooth headphones (not just start/stop)

Apps:
This is probably down to the iplayer app (myplayer) and not the phone, but the picture quality is bad. It's as if the player just blows up a picture meant for a smaller screen resulting in chunky pixels. Text is unreadable so forget programs with subtitles.

Email - I want to be notified of a new email only. If I have unread emails in my hotmail account, it alerts me each time it fetches (set for every 30 mins), even if I've been to my inbox to have a look. (But still left unread)
It's now started telling me i have emails when i don't (inbox empty!)

I've had this phone nearly 3 weeks now, it better get better.
To be cont...
  (#30) Old
Banned

Default 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM

This phone is ridiculous, in the crap sense.
There are bugs all over it, too many to go into detail but I'll mention a few.
My earlier review pointed out the screen lock had stopped working all by itself, so I enabled the pattern pass lock. This worked for a week but has stopped working too. This is completely unacceptable for obvious reasons!
Wouldn't connect to my work wifi initially, had to switch the phone off/on & then it would. Have the same problem as with my home wifi though - won't automatically connect when in range.
Just went to watch a film using my Bluetooth headphones, says it's connected but sound is still coming out the speaker & not my headphones. Had to switch phone off/on to rectify.

keyboard is rubbish, had to retype so much just for this little reply.

If you're thinking of getting one of these DON'T!
If we knew when droid 2.2 was coming out it might be worth the wait, but seeing as it's top secret (ie Dell haven't got a clue either) bollox 'em.

Taking it back - not fit for purpose

Tags
dell streak, review