Mac OS X Guides Guides for installing and configuring Mac OSX on your Dell Mini.

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Snow Leopard on Mini 9 from scratch without a Mac?
Published by dencraig
10-25-2009
Default Snow Leopard on Mini 9 from scratch without a Mac?

I have a new Mini 9 with 2 GB Memory, a 32 GB SSD, and a retail version of Snow Leopard ($25 at Frys). Can I install Snow Leopard from scratch using an external DVD? I have managed to boot from the disk, but it gave me "Panic" and "Restart your computer". Do I need an Apple file of some sort in order to get out the blocks on this? If so, how about a previous version of OSX? I don't have a Mac available to me.
Tutorial Tools

Featured Tutorials
Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Default Shure! Have a look:

NetbookInstaller 3: Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD | Guides | OS X | mechdrew (using external DVD-drive)

NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew (using USB-stick)

Both versions work with Snow Leo. I did it with an USB-stick 16 GB.

BTW: One of the admins should better move this thread from 'Guides' to 'Questions'?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 AM

erm seem that mbr option is not available in snow installer weird GUID does work but it waste some space I only have 8gb ssd
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 PM

I just used the NetBookCD method and it worked fine

THANKS

<*-*>
Old 12-28-2009, 04:55 PM

I have been trying to install SL on my Mini9 for a month now with no success. I'm using a retail SL dvd, and the NetbookCD method. It installs fine, and if I boot off the NetbookCD it works fine. However after I install the extensions it will never boot again, either from the NetbookCD or on it's own. The gray boot screen comes up, but the spinning wheel never displays, then eventually the entire screen turns gray. From that point it's a reinstall, or at least it seems that way. I've tried older versions of the netbook installer thinking it's a newer revision and it's just not working. I've tried doing it with the the rollup updates and I've tried doing it without any updates. But as soon as I install the extensions from the cd it stops working. I've had 10.5.7 on it before, just having issues with SL.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm putting 10.5.7 back on it now, but I'd rather run SL.

--Aric
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilisch View Post
I have been trying to install SL on my Mini9 for a month now with no success. I'm using a retail SL dvd, and the NetbookCD method. It installs fine, and if I boot off the NetbookCD it works fine. However after I install the extensions it will never boot again, either from the NetbookCD or on it's own. The gray boot screen comes up, but the spinning wheel never displays, then eventually the entire screen turns gray. From that point it's a reinstall, or at least it seems that way. I've tried older versions of the netbook installer thinking it's a newer revision and it's just not working. I've tried doing it with the the rollup updates and I've tried doing it without any updates. But as soon as I install the extensions from the cd it stops working. I've had 10.5.7 on it before, just having issues with SL.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm putting 10.5.7 back on it now, but I'd rather run SL.

--Aric
In my first install (Mac OS version 1.5.6) I solved this problem leaving one VFAT small partition (5Mb) on the disk.

I'm having some troubles installing Snow Leopard using USB Stick. The initial load freeze in "Loading HFS+" and the stick stop flashing...

Unfortunately, I do not have a MacOS installed to be able to follow the method that uses the "NetbookBootMaker app" so I'm using the "Mini 9 Dual Boot: OSX and Windows 7 using only a Windows Vista Machine for prepartion" tutorial...
Comment

Tags
mini 9 osx

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools