Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Exclamation Upgrading 10.6.2 -> 10.6.6 [Please help me out..] - 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM

I am currently running 10.6.2 on my 10v and am quite content with this, however I would like to actually upgrade to 10.6.6 just because I would like to use Facetime from my Netbook as well and you cannot do this without 10.6.6

So! My question to everyone is...

I installed OSX 10.6.2, have done absolutely nothing but use it, no editing, no problems.

To update to 10.6.6 --- Do I need to Install the Combo packs from Apple for 10.6.3, .4, .5? to get to 10.6.6?
Or can I just run the NBI and the Combo update for 10.6.6 from Apple?
I would like some clarification as I don't want to have to find/reinstall OSX all over again on my netbook. It's too important at this point!

And for further clarification and ease of mind..

Apple Combo Update I mention: support.apple.com/kb/dl1349 --- Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo
NBI: (Would this be the proper one to use?): code.google.com/p/netbook-installer/ --- The 2nd download link "NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1.app.zip" ?

Please someone help me out here... I asked this once before and didn't even get a look.
Any help is greaaaatly appreciated!

-Nick

"And what is it that we tell Death?"
  (#2) Old

Default 07-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Combo update means that the update contains every previous updates released, so you can skip any previous updates an go straight to 10.6.6.

This is the recommended version of NBI you need to use:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort View Post
For those of you that don't want to mess with /System/Library/Extensions, this version of NBI should work fine (again, essentially the same as RC1, just a small logic change). I just tested it on a new install and it seams to work fine, let me know if you have issues.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
My question:
Why don't you go straight to 10.6.7?
  (#3) Old

Default 07-22-2011, 01:50 AM

Well essentially 10.6.6 is stable on 10v and that's all I really need for Facetime and to do what I want to do with my netbook at this time.

I'll download the combo update and the NBI you suggested and run it this evening and post my results Hopefully smooth sailing!

Edit:

Also! THANK YOU!
So very much for some quality information

Last edited by Nickxm; 07-22-2011 at 02:51 AM.
  (#4) Old

Default 07-22-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxm View Post
Well essentially 10.6.6 is stable on 10v and that's all I really need for Facetime and to do what I want to do with my netbook at this time.

I'll download the combo update and the NBI you suggested and run it this evening and post my results Hopefully smooth sailing!
10.6.7 is more stable, and it's the last version that NBI can handle it perfectly, so it needs no more hack/tweak.
  (#5) Old

Default 07-22-2011, 05:38 AM

Oh, my bad. I thought 10.6.6 was the latest NBI handled without any troubles... Well! Perhaps I'll update to 10.6.7... Since 10.6.6 update went smoothly. Hahah.

So I presume to update to 10.6.7 from 10.6.6 I'll just get the .6.7 update (NOT Combo) combined with NBI that was posted and all should be gravy?

(Thank's a bunch for the assistance.)

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

So now my only problem is this...

I now have access to the AppStore, I can sign into it fine. I click to buy or "free" apps, click install and it gives me a pop-up to enter my password for Apple ID, which I do... But than nothing happens. What's going on?

(#6) Old

Default 07-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxm View Post
Oh, my bad. I thought 10.6.6 was the latest NBI handled without any troubles... Well! Perhaps I'll update to 10.6.7... Since 10.6.6 update went smoothly. Hahah.

So I presume to update to 10.6.7 from 10.6.6 I'll just get the .6.7 update (NOT Combo) combined with NBI that was posted and all should be gravy?

(Thank's a bunch for the assistance.)
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
So now my only problem is this...

I now have access to the AppStore, I can sign into it fine. I click to buy or "free" apps, click install and it gives me a pop-up to enter my password for Apple ID, which I do... But than nothing happens. What's going on?
Try this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomajc View Post
I was able to fix this problem on my Dell 10v after finding a solution via google of the error code. It appears to be a problem with the network preferences on some machines.

Solution: Go to Macintosh HD (or whatever you call your HD in Finder) > Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration

For there look for the file labeled: NetworkInterfaces.plist

You need to move this file to the Trash, but do not delete it (an Administrator password will be needed for this). Then reboot the machine and connect to your network and the App Store.
If all is well you can then delete the NetworkInterfaces.plist
  (#7) Old

Default 07-22-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
Yes, that's correct.

Try this:
I found and tried what you quoted, still to no avail however. I may update to 10.6.7 and see if the problem is still there, if it is, try again what you quoted and see where I stand at that point.

Thank you r66.

(#8) Old

Default 09-14-2011, 09:47 AM

Hi,

I'm in the same boat but have perhaps forgotten more! Essentially I'd like to go from 10.6.2 -> 10.6.7

Is there an easy solution? Or is it going to take me two days like the last time!

Thanks if you can help.
  (#9) Old

Default 09-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Pretty much, all that is required is to download the NBI special from previous posts in this thread, then follow these directions using 10.6.7 update combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
Yes it does make a difference.
You need the special NBI on your hard drive.
place it on applications folder to have easy access.
run the special NBI;
select your hard drive name on the target;
check install chameleon 2;
check install mini 10v extensions;
check generate (or regenerate) system specific dsdt.aml;
click install button.
After it's done, close it, reboot your mini.
set the first boot device to your HDD, remove the USB stick attached, let it boots.
run combo update 10.6.7.
when update installation finishes, don't click restart when it prompts, run again the special NBI with the same settings as before.
after it's done, close NBI, and click restart button on the update installation window.
It worked for me!
  (#10) Old

Default 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks for replying.

I've clearly forgotten more than I thought. I still have the retail OSX that I bought - but no mac with a DVD-drive so I'm gonna have to do this via windows.

If someone would be kind enough to point me to what I need to do to prepare my USB drive again, I'd be really grateful. can I just follow Oscar's instructions:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...mac-guide.html?

They seem to be for 10.6.3... but does it matter?

REALLY sorry. Out of this for too long so would really appreciate pointers.

Tags
10.6.6, help installing, osx upgrade