Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Default urgent need! how to restore the default win7 starter to mini 1012 - 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM

I have done a fresh install windows 7 64bit by reformatting the C drive and create a new partition. I keep the recovery OS partition untouched.

At this moment, I am trying to do a factory restore but I am unable to do that. I tried F8, Ctrl-F11, and nothing work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Inspiron Mini 10 (1012) / N450 / 1GB / 1366x768 / Video Card Crystal HD Broadcom Media Accelerator / 160G / Obsidian Black / Windows« 7 Ultimate 32bit / HB95 Mini Card / 6-cell 56WHr
  (#2) Old

Default 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM

Are you able to get to the diagnostics that are built in?
  (#3) Old

Default 01-17-2011, 11:54 PM

i formatted the C drive. How to get to the diagnostics?

Inspiron Mini 10 (1012) / N450 / 1GB / 1366x768 / Video Card Crystal HD Broadcom Media Accelerator / 160G / Obsidian Black / Windows« 7 Ultimate 32bit / HB95 Mini Card / 6-cell 56WHr
  (#4) Old

Default 01-18-2011, 12:03 AM

download gparted live iso and boot it from the disk and check and see what partitions you have. you have most likely deleted the recovery partition.

there is a 36 mb windows diagnostic partition where you can repeated hit F8 to over and over while booting to go to, but that may be gone as well.

I put win7 64 bit on my 1012 as well, and it deleted the the recovery partition. i later decided to remove it because it is basically pointless.
  (#5) Old

Default 01-18-2011, 12:16 AM

I am sure I did not delete the recovery partition while installing W7 Ultimate. I just read the "setup guide" which it came with the netbook; and I am running the diagnostics now (F12 and select diagnostics). I will see if I can get to a point which I can do a recovery.

thanks for your pointer.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Seems I am able to do a recovery by going to the Advance Boot Menu - hit f8 few times during Dell Logo. I wondered, why few times, and not one time?

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Ok. it is not working. The system recovery is from the Windows 7 Ultimate. Grrrr!!!

(#6) Old

Default 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM

Once you install another operating system it breaks the MBR link and you will not be able to get access to the recovery partition even if you didn't delete it and you can still see it in Disk Management. If you want 7 Starter back on you will need to use the disks.

I had the same problem too when I tried 7 Ultimate, instead of 7 Starter so I deleted all partitions and got back some extra space and did a fresh install of 7 Home Premium. It installs most of the drivers and anything it doesn't can be downloaded from Dell.

My 1012 is now running so much better without all the clag that Dell install from new

Harters

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera
  (#7) Old

Default 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harters View Post
Once you install another operating system it breaks the MBR link and you will not be able to get access to the recovery partition even if you didn't delete it and you can still see it in Disk Management. If you want 7 Starter back on you will need to use the disks.

I had the same problem too when I tried 7 Ultimate, instead of 7 Starter so I deleted all partitions and got back some extra space and did a fresh install of 7 Home Premium. & install most of the drivers and anything it doesn't can be downloaded from Dell.

My 1012 is now running so much better without all the clag that Dell install from new
I read some posts that once I reformatted the hd and overwritten the mbr, I can't get back to the recovery partition. For some reasons, I though the w7 starter was giving me much more battery power than w7 ultimate. The battery meter showed 8hrs+ when I got a full charge on w7 starter and it only shows 5hrs+ for the w7 ultimate.

Do you have the URL to download the sound drivers? Thanks

(#8) Old

Default 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Just go to Dell support site and enter your Service Tag and it will give you all the drivers you need.

The main thing which will drain the battery quicker when using Ultimate is running Aero. If you disable it and choose the Basic Theme then it will have the same "drain" as Starter. To be honest I find it runs much Better with Aero running and I don't find the difference in battery life that noticeable.

Harters

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera
  (#9) Old

Default 01-19-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harters View Post
Just go to Dell support site and enter your Service Tag and it will give you all the drivers you need.

The main thing which will drain the battery quicker when using Ultimate is running Aero. If you disable it and choose the Basic Theme then it will have the same "drain" as Starter. To be honest I find it runs much Better with Aero running and I don't find the difference in battery life that noticeable.
Thanks. I will try to change the setting.

(#10) Old

Default 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM

dam I seem to be having to same prob. F8 or CTRL F11 not doing the trick. I remember back like 6 months ago I did it but cant remember if it was just pressing F8 or Cntrl F11. I do remember it being a pain with the timing like you had to get it just right.

when are you guys pressing the key like as soon as you see the Dell logo? I do that it the progress bar like stops in the middle but then boom windows starts.

this netbook is a mission to get into recovery, like why does dell make stuff so difficult. I know this can be done so i called tech support and they were like Na this can be done, you could buy a external and use the disk, which they didnt send me one by the way, to reformat. I told them no I have done it before and the lady said oh well wait a moment and boom call all of a sudden got disconnected.