Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to PDADoc Send a message via MSN to PDADoc Send a message via Yahoo to PDADoc Send a message via Skype™ to PDADoc
Default Couple of hardware questions - 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM

While I was looking over the paperwork that came with my Mini 1012, I happened to notice something that I need clarification on and I thought someone here might know:

in the long list of features/items on my device this code was listed:

V131YModule,Assembly,Base,Wireless Wide Area Network,1012

Does this mean that my notebook is wired for WWAN, antenna and all? I'd take it apart and check, but I don't know what I'd be looking for. If this means what I think it does, then I should just be able to pop in a 5530 WWAN card and it'll work, or am I wrong?

Also, I ordered the 365 Bluetooth Module to put in. While I was looking in the BIOS it lists under wireless that Bluetooth is enabled right under WLAN. Is this a statutory setting regardless of whether there's a module or not? Because windows never detected any bluetooth device at any time.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM

Sounds like the slot for WWAN card might be there (and SIM card slot next to the battery presumeably), but don't count on the antennas being there.

If you want to examine it, pop the palmrest off (see the Service Manual page about the motherboard). You should see one slot to the left, with the WiFi card and two antenna leads. The WWAN is in the middle, the HD decoder slot is to the right. All slots are half Mini PCIe, but I believe the WWAN slot is only wired for USB Mini PCIe cards.

For comparison, here's a pic of a 1012 WITHOUT the WWAN, SIM and decoder slots: How to dismantle and upgrade the Dell Mini 1012 | jRin.net

As for BT, I'd guess you can enable/disable it whether the card's there or not.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

Last edited by reflex; 03-05-2011 at 03:56 PM.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to PDADoc Send a message via MSN to PDADoc Send a message via Yahoo to PDADoc Send a message via Skype™ to PDADoc
Default 03-06-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Sounds like the slot for WWAN card might be there (and SIM card slot next to the battery presumeably), but don't count on the antennas being there.

If you want to examine it, pop the palmrest off (see the Service Manual page about the motherboard). You should see one slot to the left, with the WiFi card and two antenna leads. The WWAN is in the middle, the HD decoder slot is to the right. All slots are half Mini PCIe, but I believe the WWAN slot is only wired for USB Mini PCIe cards.

For comparison, here's a pic of a 1012 WITHOUT the WWAN, SIM and decoder slots: How to dismantle and upgrade the Dell Mini 1012 | jRin.net

As for BT, I'd guess you can enable/disable it whether the card's there or not.
Thanks for the info; I'll wait for my BT module to arrive from Dell before I open it up again. Too much can happen from just opening and closing it for no reason.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be a nice bonus if the wiring were already there.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Holy smoke! I just opened it up out of curiousity to see what it had and it's already wired for WWAN, antenna and all! It looks as though all they did was remove the WWAN card!

I tried adding the link through the dialog box but it seems to be broken. Anyway, here is the photo and you can clearly see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdadoc/5500972963/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I double-checked the service manual, and the wiring position and color matches exactly what is supposed to be there for WWAN. Cool!

Last edited by PDADoc; 03-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to Pamster Send a message via Yahoo to Pamster
Default 03-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Wow that's freaking awesome! So glad they had the antenna in there for you too, that's so cool! Nice pic, thanks for sharing PDADoc!

Mini 1012 / 2 GB RAM / 250 GB HDD / 1366x768 HD screen / 1.3M Pixel Webcam / HB95.11N / Win 7 Starter / 6-cell 56WHr / Black & Ice Blue / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan / Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 in Blue
Dell Inspiron 17R 2nd Gen I-5 / 4 GB RAM / 300 GB HDD / 1600 x 900 LED Display with True Life / 1.0MP Integrated 1280x720 native HD Webcam / Win 7 / 6-cell 48WHr / Black / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan
  (#5) Old

Default 03-12-2011, 02:33 AM

I know, I was really pleasantly surprised there! I've since gotten and installed the card and it's working perfectly, or, as the Brits are fond of saying: "works a treat!"