Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Send a message via ICQ to sammyboy405 Send a message via AIM to sammyboy405 Send a message via MSN to sammyboy405 Send a message via Yahoo to sammyboy405
Cool GUIDE: Increase Adobe Flash Performance. Windows 7 / Netbooks - 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM

After Reading hundreds of CPU issues at Adobe Flash's bug Site. It all Came to 1 Conclusion...

Microsoft + Adobe = No Love

So to make the marriage work you have to council them.

First you need to separate them for a bit. Then Rejoin under Admin Supervision and Have then have Child Services check on the Kids.

So here we go

1. Print this guide off.
2. Download this Special Adobe uninstaller. Just Save it do not run it.
3. Close all running applications including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Instant Messaging Software (i.e. Live Messenger, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, Skype, etc.). Look in the bottom-right of the system tray / taskbar to make sure the you have truly quit them and that they are not running silently in the background. This is because they tend to use the Flash Player too and the tool cannot remove files that are in use.
4. Run the Removal tool from where you saved it. The tool will remove all versions (past and present) from your system.
5.Restart your computer. Make sure you Printed this guide off so you know how to finish.
6.Once restarted, open Internet Explorer(or Firefox) in Administrator mode. right-click over Internet Explorer(Or FireFox) and choose ‘Run as Administrator’. This will ensure that the installation is done correctly and without security restrictions.
7. Go here and Select Windows Vista / Xp /2003/2000 for your OS
8. Select the Appropriate Flash for the Browser you are Running. (Make sure if it gives you the Free Mcafee Scan Check Box to UnCheck it!! Else you will get Mcafee installed Eck!
9.If you dont have the Adobe DLM(you can remove it later) Installed it may install it and have you restart your Browser. If it Restarts. Then do the Following:
A. Exit out of Browser
B. Right Click Browser Icon and Select Run as Administrator
C. Go Back to Step 7 and Continue again.
10. You may have to select allow Adobe to install depending on your browser.
11. Once Installed Exit out of your browser.
12. Restart your Browser. And goto Hulu.com and see what happens.

Ive only tested this on my Netbook. I have a Dell Mini 10 (1010) 1.3Ghz Atom 1Gig Ram GMA500 Video. Running Windows 7.

I Watched an Entire Episode of The Family Guy with only Minimal and I Do mean Minimal Jerks. Full Screen Was Watchable but it Jerked quite a bit.

YouTube Ran Smooth even in Full Screen Mode. HD Video Didnt fair so good in Full Screen but Ran Fine in Normal Screen Size Mode.

This May not work for everyone.. But this is what has worked for me. And It seems it has worked for others too from reading the adobe Flash Bug site. The Key is to install Adobe as an administrator. And to make sure All your old files are off your PC that may have the wrong permissions.

After doing this and you Still Not Happy with the Performance. All I can Say is you have 2 options.

1. Bug the H.E. double Hockey Sticks. Out of Adobe to optimize there Flash Player for Atom processors / Low end Processors
2. Dont watch Flash Video on a System that has Limited Processing Capabilities. Netbooks(Atom Series) where NOT designed for Full CPU Usage.

People need to understand. Flash Video limitations is not because of your Video Processing (GPU) Is Because of the CPU of the Netbook, and Adobe Flash being such a CPU Hog.

And Not that it matters alot. I am Running the Latest Windows 7 Driver as of .... I cant remember when it released.. So Lets just Say as of this post I had the Latest and Greatest Video Driver for the GMA 500.

Good Luck.. And Report back.. Who knows this may or may not be a waste of time for everyone. All I can say is that It worked for me and Im now Enjoying Hulu.com and other Flash Based Sites alot better.

Dell Mini 10 (1010) - Kubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 9.04 / Fedora 11 / CentOS 5 / More to Try Later
Do You have GMA 500 Graphics? Want to run Ubuntu 9.04 Here is a Link on How-To and get the best FrameRate possible and the correct Resolution.
Visit my Blog Via Plasma Burn More Updates coming soon to the blog.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM

I also found a good work around if you want full screen. Just force low resolution when running hulu desktop.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Nice installation guide, however this was something that had been suggested to solve a number of issues with the flash player installation which had mostly been resolved as of 10.0.32.18. Most people with this version installed will probably not notice much of a difference.

mini 10 (via UK Dell outlet), Z520, 1024x576 , 6-cell, no BT
ordered & installed: BT module, US keyboard
  (#4) Old

Default 10-03-2009, 12:20 PM

I have tried this... But I doesn't see any differences. Sammy can you tell me the browser that you have used for watching the hd youtube video? And the exact video too... Thanks. I have the same z520, win7, last driver gma, but hd videos, even windowed are a no hope.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Maybe this Adobe Labs - Adobe Flash Player 10.1 will help when it's out of the box.

Greetings Zero
  (#6) Old

Default 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM

You can always try overclocking with SetFSB. If the Asus 1101HA is any indication, you should be able to get some pretty good results.
  (#7) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphias View Post
You can always try overclocking with SetFSB. If the Asus 1101HA is any indication, you should be able to get some pretty good results.
I always have a +25% stable overclock... But it isn't enough at all for hd.

Someone through the procedure in this post have succesfully played youtube hd content?
  (#8) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Hi, one question I have the overclocking software but how do I get this to work on my Mini 1010 it loads and finds the set but doesn't allow me to move the slder?

can I get some help on this never played with over clocking but have done most other things so would like to see what I need to do and to see the results.

Thanks for your help.

Dell Mini 10 Win 7 U | TV tuner | 3G built in | HD | 160GB 5400 HDD | Office 2010 Beta | Shame the GPS isn't much use

This is the best Travel mate I have had!
  (#9) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDell1010 View Post
Hi, one question I have the overclocking software but how do I get this to work on my Mini 1010 it loads and finds the set but doesn't allow me to move the slder?

can I get some help on this never played with over clocking but have done most other things so would like to see what I need to do and to see the results.

Thanks for your help.
Try using the ICS9UMS9610BL clock generator in SetFSB. I think that's the correct one for the Mini 10.

Berga, are you running a Z520 (1.33Ghz) or a Z530 (1.6Ghz)? I have a new Mini 10 on the way, and I'm curious about how overclocking is working out. Do you experience any CPU throttling like the Sony Vaio Ps?

BTW, I don't think it's possible to run Youtube HD. Your best bet is to download the video to your computer first, and then play it. Streaming HD videos is a task I don't think any Atom can handle.
  (#10) Old

Default 10-08-2009, 08:17 AM

@iandell
Xiphias' generator is the right one: you must select this, click read, and then select your overclock. Can you tell me your cpu?

@Xiphias
I think you're right. It's not possible too see 720p streaming flash videos without hw decoding. Too cpu intensive.

I have a Z520, there isn't any throttling at all with our Mini. Overclocking it is a must! With a stable +25%, graphic WEI index get an enormous boost, and in fact Aero will finally run fine. I think the Gpu is underclocked...

However if we want to talk about overclocking I think is better to open a new thread. This is OT here.

Tags
adobe, flash, guide, performance