Google Chrome OS Discussions on Google Chrome OS matters for the Dell Mini

(#31) Old

Default 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Greetings!

I downloaded Semi-Official Dell May 13th build (ChromiumOS_x86_May13.img.gz) and with win32diskimager created a Live USB flash drive.
So far, it seems to work well and I think I will like it!

I followed the instructions here to get the audio to work and is sounds great!

So far, I still running Chrome from my flash drive.
My question is how do I install this 'image' on my 4gig SSD drive of my Dell Mini 9?

I am sure I will have other questions when I get Chrome permanently installed on my Dell Mini 9

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith View Post
Greetings!

I downloaded Semi-Official Dell May 13th build (ChromiumOS_x86_May13.img.gz) and with win32diskimager created a Live USB flash drive.
So far, it seems to work well and I think I will like it!

I followed the instructions here to get the audio to work and is sounds great!

So far, I still running Chrome from my flash drive.
My question is how do I install this 'image' on my 4gig SSD drive of my Dell Mini 9?

I am sure I will have other questions when I get Chrome permanently installed on my Dell Mini 9
Okay, after some searching and reading, I discovered the command to install Chrome OS on my Dell Mini 9's SSD drive.

1. CTRL +ALT+T
2. type "install"
3. password is "dell1234"

It runs for a short bit, telling about the records in and records out..blah, blah, blah...then stops with the following error:
ERROR: cgpt add: GptSanityCheck() returned 3: GPT_ERROR_INVALID_ENTRIES

..then drops me back out the crosh> prompt.

Help!

Bryan Smith
Dell Mini 9, 16gig SSD, 1gig RAM, Chrome OS (Jan03 Build)
  (#32) Old

Cool 10-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Greetings!
[/COLOR]
Okay, after some searching and reading, I discovered the command to install Chrome OS on my Dell Mini 9's SSD drive.

1. CTRL +ALT+T
2. type "install"
3. password is "dell1234"

It runs for a short bit, telling about the records in and records out..blah, blah, blah...then stops with the following error:
ERROR: cgpt add: GptSanityCheck() returned 3: GPT_ERROR_INVALID_ENTRIES

..then drops me back out the crosh> prompt.

Help!
I receive exactly the same error from my seemingly fine Inspiron 910 (mini 9) with 4GB SSD when trying to install from USB. Has ANYONE gotten this type of mini to install ChromeOS? I love this OS so far, would hate to have to abandon it over something like this. So I agree, PLEASE HELP! Mucho Thx!
  (#33) Old

Smile Fixed/hacked it on 4GB SSD netbook - 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRyan View Post
I receive exactly the same error from my seemingly fine Inspiron 910 (mini 9) with 4GB SSD when trying to install Chrome OS from USB.
The issue is that 4GB is beneath ChromeOS's defaults/expectations for a target non-removable drive. Dell obviously did no testing against a 4GB target and so did not make the necessary install-script adjustment.

So here are the steps to make the necessary hack:

1) Start up ChromeOS from USB.
2) Drop to a shell via
Code:
Ctrl+Alt+T
and then give the
Code:
shell
command from the crosh prompt.
3) Make the rootfs volume writeable with the command:
Code:
sudo mount -o remount /
4) Open the key core install script in a text editor, like
Code:
sudo vi /usr/sbin/chromeos-install
5) Scroll down a few pages to the install-gpt command line and change the parameter "default" to something like 1024. This parameter gives the size to be allocated to the target's two rootfs partitions in 2K chunks. I chose 1024 somewhat arbitrarily as three sixteenth's greater than its size on the USB stick, leaving all available space beyond that to the "state" partition where I presume user data resides. Save the adjusted script file.
6) Run the install with
Code:
sh /var/sbin/chromeos-install
This does the same thing as the install command from the crosh prompt

After a few minutes of copying, the system will plunge out of the shell and back to the browser for some reason. Simply log out and restart from the hard-drive and start setting up Chromium normally, this time "for real".

Paul Ryan
MyDellMini.20.paulryan at spamgourmet dot com
  (#34) Old

Default 11-11-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The issue is that 4GB is beneath ChromeOS's defaults/expectations for a target non-removable drive. Dell obviously did no testing against a 4GB target and so did not make the necessary install-script adjustment.
Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I'll point out a few things for novices such as myself.

* After #5, save your changes and exit by typing :wq in the editor.
* At step #6 instead type in
Code:
sh /usr/sbin/chromeos-install
After Step #6 is complete, you'll see a "Windows Explorer" style file browser. Remove the USB key, shut down you computer and cold re-boot. You'll boot directly into Chrome.
  (#35) Old

Default Progress So Far - 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Hi All,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help posted on this forum so far.

I've downloaded the latest Dell image and copied it onto a USB stick and my Mini 9 is working with Chrome.

I followed the instructions in the Dell readme and my wifi is now working.

I'm having a few issues with the sound and some wifi networks. I'm still working through the sound issues following the posts. I can get it working but I can't make it persistent after a reboot but i'll get there.

The other problem I am having is with certain types of wifi networks. I have a BT home hub 3 which is running the following

Authentication type: WPA2-PSK or WPA-PSK
Encryption type: AES (WPA2) or TKIP (WPA)
Mode: infrastructure (not ad hoc)

but when i'm asked for the key the chrome os goes away and tries to connect but fails. I know the wifi does work because I put my iphone into the wireless hotspot mode and chrome connects fine. I think maybe down to the encryption type and or the authentication type.

Lastly does anyone know how to get Java working in the Chrome browser.

Any help would be appreciated.
  (#36) Old

Default 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Paul, many Thanks for your reply.
I had all but given up on my Dell Mini9 and Chrome...tossing it back in storage.
After a coworker sparked my interest with a new Android Tablet, I thought I would come back to this forum and browse around.
WOW...I am was surprised that there was a solution to my issue.

Quote:
5) Scroll down a few pages to the install-gpt command line and change the parameter "default" to something like 1024. This parameter gives the size to be allocated to the target's two rootfs partitions in 2K chunks. I chose 1024 somewhat arbitrarily as three sixteenth's greater than its size on the USB stick, leaving all available space beyond that to the "state" partition where I presume user data resides. Save the adjusted script file.
For others that are following these instuctions, here is the line of code in the script that I found that you are suggesting that I change in order to install Chrome on 4gig SSD

# Creates the GPT with the default rootfs size (the "default" parameter).
install_gpt ${DST} ${ROOTFS_IMG_SECTORS} ${STATEFUL_IMG_SECTORS} \
${PMBRCODE} ${ESP_IMG_SECTORS} false default \
${FLAGS_large_test_partitions}

I changed the word default to 1024 as was suggested.

I followed the rest of the instructions in a short amount of time, my Mini9 is running ChromeOS
Once again, many Thanx!!

Bryan Smith
  (#37) Old

Default 12-06-2011, 07:40 AM

it's late and maybe I have missed something.

I am trying to install chromium on a dell mini 9 with the 4 gb ssd. Followed the very helpful instructions but once I type in "sh /user/sbin/chromeos-install" some code runs, it stops and I get "user/sbin/chromeos-install: 386: 1: not found"

Googling brings me no help, so figured asking here would be my best bet.

Thanks in Advance!
  (#38) Old

Default 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepython9286 View Post
it's late and maybe I have missed something.

I am trying to install chromium on a dell mini 9 with the 4 gb ssd. Followed the very helpful instructions but once I type in "sh /user/sbin/chromeos-install" some code runs, it stops and I get "user/sbin/chromeos-install: 386: 1: not found"

Googling brings me no help, so figured asking here would be my best bet.

Thanks in Advance!
There is a typo in the instructions.
"sh /user/sbin/chromeos-install" should be "sh /usr/sbin/chromeos-install"

Bryan Smith
  (#39) Old

Default 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
There is a typo in the instructions.
"sh /user/sbin/chromeos-install" should be "sh /usr/sbin/chromeos-install"
Sorry, that was a typo on my part due to my fatigue. I tried again and am still getting the same error. Since I see no one else has gotten it, I'm still wondering exactly what I am doing wrong. Frustrating....
  (#40) Old

Default Chromium OS Lime by Hexxeh is AWESOME on the Mini 9 - 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM

I'm very thankful for all of the help in getting the Dell Chromium OS running quite well on my Dell Mini 9. I followed the instructions from this thread and the Wifi and sound work fine even after cold reboot. However, 2 days ago I tried Chromium OS Lime and completely blown away. I'm posting this reply from my Dell Mini 9.

Major improvements over the Dell distribution:

1. WiFi symbol/configuration is visible on the top right hand corner
2. Time is visible on the top right hand corner
3. Battery indicator is visible on the top right hand corner
4. Caps-lock is visible on the top right hand corner
5. ctrl-shift-L = lock screen works

Major "issues" I had with the Dell distribution which doesn't happen on the Chromium OS Lime:

1. Watching video for about 5-10 minutes will start distorting the screen display on my Mini 9. I tried another Dell Mini 9 and it also happens there. I don't know if I needed to re-install the Dell Chromium OS, but I didn't want to do it since I fixed the sound issue. Sound issue is fixed but plugging in a headset does not disable the speakers unless I want to go to ctrl-alt-T
2. The WiFi does not wake up quickly from sleep. Sometimes, I have to reboot completely. The Chromium OS Lime wakes up fairly quickly and connects via WiFi within 10-15 seconds.

I strongly recommend the Chromium OS Lime for the Dell Mini 9. I tried it on the USB and within 30 minutes, I knew right away I was replacing the Dell Chromium OS on the SSD.

ctrl-alt-T. install. password: facepunch. a few minutes later, reboot to the SSD and running fine, synched up with my google account, extensions/apps and all.

Two Caveats: My WiFi card is not the stock broadcom card, but if someone wants me to test with the broadcom card, I can do that... The two-finger scrolling is not working for me, but I'm ok with it as I use the single finger right-side scrolling, instead.

Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]