Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 02-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Just installed, works like a dream. Thanks

PS So many options to chose from!!
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-10-2009, 05:44 AM

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ ... #msg132603

go to link, download AHK script.
It binds both Right and Left clicks to middle clicks

it works 100% soooo best of both worlds
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM

I tried to install the Synaptics driver recommended here. I uninstalled the original Dell supplied driver and rebooted as instructed but then Windows (I am on XP) immediately re-installs it automatically on startup, presumably from its cache. Then when I try to install the Synaptics driver I get a message that I am already using a later driver and must uninstall it first.
How do I get out of this loop?
The version on the Synaptics website is 10_1_8 and the version number of the original driver is 11.1.22.
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgerard
I tried to install the Synaptics driver recommended here. I uninstalled the original Dell supplied driver and rebooted as instructed but then Windows (I am on XP) immediately re-installs it automatically on startup, presumably from its cache. Then when I try to install the Synaptics driver I get a message that I am already using a later driver and must uninstall it first.
How do I get out of this loop?
The version on the Synaptics website is 10_1_8 and the version number of the original driver is 11.th.22.
You might try installing the Synaptics driver from the command prompt with the /forceit switch.
Synaptics_Driver_v10_1_8_XP32.exe /forceit

If you look, you can find newer Synaptics drivers than the ones on their website.
Beyond that, on Google Code you can find Synaptics drivers for two finger scroll.
Check this out for starters:
http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-...downloads/list

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtom
You might try installing the Synaptics driver from the command prompt with the /forceit switch.
Synaptics_Driver_v10_1_8_XP32.exe /forceit

If you look, you can find newer Synaptics drivers than the ones on their website.
Beyond that, on Google Code you can find Synaptics drivers for two finger scroll.
Check this out for starters:
http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scr ... loads/list
Thanks for the suggestion but being the cautious type I am reluctant to try the force method. Others on this forum have installed the driver from the Synaptics web site and I was hoping one of them would come along and put me right on the way to install it.
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-25-2009, 11:03 PM

Here's my problem with the touchpad:

1. Default Windows driver: perfect movement/accuracy/sensitivity, but no features

2. Synaptics driver: lots of features, but bottom area is dead.

What I mean by that is, even with horizontal scrolling turned off, the bottom portion of the touchpad doesn't work right. If i were to make small circles with my finger on the bottom of the touchpad, the cursor will only move left or right. This gets extremely annoying because the area is about 20%-25% of the pad. I've resorted to using the default Windows driver, but I really miss the vertical scrolling ability for webpages and documents. Does anyone know of a way to get scrolling without using the Synaptics driver?

Thanks.
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-25-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilef
Here's my problem with the touchpad:

1. Default Windows driver: perfect movement/accuracy/sensitivity, but no features

2. Synaptics driver: lots of features, but bottom area is dead.

What I mean by that is, even with horizontal scrolling turned off, the bottom portion of the touchpad doesn't work right. If i were to make small circles with my finger on the bottom of the touchpad, the cursor will only move left or right. This gets extremely annoying because the area is about 20%-25% of the pad. I've resorted to using the default Windows driver, but I really miss the vertical scrolling ability for webpages and documents. Does anyone know of a way to get scrolling without using the Synaptics driver?

Thanks.
Keep trying other Synaptics drivers, there are lots of them around. My link, above, to Google Code will get you close. Synaptics_Driver_v10_1_8_XP32.exe works perfect for me in Windows 7 build 7000 and build 7022.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#28) Old

Send a message via MSN to Sumanji
Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilef
If i were to make small circles with my finger on the bottom of the touchpad, the cursor will only move left or right.
Oh man, I didn't even notice that until I tested just now, how annoying!

My main problem is that I sporadically lose the Vertical scrolling ability, and it doesn't come back until I restart :? very annoying! This is with the latest Synaptics drivers from their website... anyone else have this problem?

So what are the best or most popular drivers to use?

Cheers,

Suman

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Onyx
8GB STEC SSD ~ 16GB SD HC Card ~ 2GB PNY DDR2 ~ Intel WiFi Link 5100 ~ Bluetooth ~ 0.3MP Webcam ~ Windows 7 RC 7100 x32
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-30-2009, 10:48 PM

zrtom,

Thanks, I tried it but still have the same issue. I wouldn't mind having the two-finger gestures if it didn't require the Synaptics drivers, which all seem to have the same problem for me.
  (#30) Old

Send a message via MSN to Sumanji
Default Re: Touchpad not very responsive - 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM

wilef, have you got in touch with Synaptics to report this driver bug? I think I will do this today and see what they say...

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Onyx
8GB STEC SSD ~ 16GB SD HC Card ~ 2GB PNY DDR2 ~ Intel WiFi Link 5100 ~ Bluetooth ~ 0.3MP Webcam ~ Windows 7 RC 7100 x32