Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelli794
My hope is maybe they can salvage the stuff off my old one, but I HIGHLY doubt that. Its going to be a pain to reinstall EVERYTHING again...
Yeah, sorry, Dell doesn't do that, they'll just swap your drive out.
  (#12) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-02-2008, 03:37 PM

If you have any unused laptop DVD drives there are USB enclosures available and they are very inexpensive.

I picked up a USB enclosure when I first made plans to get my Mini, 9 thinking it might not come with WinXP installed and I might have to tinker. (which I love to do anyway)

It's been perfect (if a tad slow at USB speeds) for re-installing the OS and drivers.
It might be good for playing DVDs as well, but it's a cumbersome setup and I've ripped all my DVD stuff to files anyway.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#13) Old

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-02-2008, 04:00 PM

i have one of these that i use it all the time... lets you connect any IDE, laptop IDE, or SATA drive (i.e., every optical and hard drive made in the past 20 years) via USB. used it with a spare dvd drive i had lying around to reinstall on the mini, no problems.
  (#14) Old
Expert Member

Post Re: My SSD gave out - 10-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Beautiful!
There ware WAY more desktop DVD drives floating around, and in a pinch you could remove an existing drive to get you by!
:ugeek:

(#15) Old

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-02-2008, 11:30 PM

I have a optical drive that plugs in USB. When I tried to reinstall windows, it would recognize that the drive was there but when I hit enter it said it could not access the drive, then would go into the blue screen of death... at that point I called dell.
It sucks. I hope I have it back next week. I miss it.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-04-2008, 03:03 PM

UPDATE:
Dell got my mini today. I called to see what was up with the status and the people in India gave me a line about 8-10 days and all this stuff and then never told me anything..
Also, the lady on the original Dell Chat that I did told me 5-7 days. That's slightly confusing and they are contradicting themselves. I will post again when they let me know what it is or when they ship it back.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-09-2008, 03:12 AM

So I got a phone call from the Dell automated system today saying my mini had arrived.. it shipped out 6 days ago! What took so long??? I shipped my ipod out to apple for repair. It left South Carolina yesterday at 6PM and arrived today at 5PM. Both companies used DHL, so how stupid is it of Dell to JUST tell me TODAY that they got my package??? They better hurry with the repairs... I need it for a school presentation.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-09-2008, 03:55 PM

UPDATE: Well, Dell automated phone thing called again today, and my dell has shipped as of today! Its actually been about as fast as I had thought it might be, but still slower than I would like. My dell shipped last thursday (a week ago), and (fingers crossed) I should have it this weekend. However, my ipod shipped out on tuesday, arrived in Cali on wedneday, and and as of this morning they have figured out what the problem is and a "product replacement is pending". I expect them to probably ship something today or tomorrow. That honestly is freaking amazing service. Dell has good service but is not up to par with apple.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-10-2008, 04:08 AM

That sucks... I've started keeping a thumb drive full of all of the programs I use(firefox, chrome, avira, open office, ccleaner, et) with install files so I don't have to download and go through that again. It also helps me remember!

Consider a cd backup of those files atleast. It really does save some time and effort. Hopefully they get it taken care of quick!
  (#20) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: My SSD gave out - 10-10-2008, 12:23 PM

I also extracted the driver installs to a flash drive.
It makes setups go much faster.

The rest of my programs I tend to go out on the web for, if only to get the latest versions.
I've made program archives before, but they tend to age quickly nowadays.