Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 11-17-2008, 02:38 AM

The NFL website is one in particular that simply will not play smoothly on my system:

http://www.nfl.com/live

Is anyone else able to play this smoothly? It seems silly to be able to play full resolution 720p HD video files but not to watch a relatively low resolution web video!
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 11-21-2008, 02:00 AM

Same here. This is why I registered to seek help.

I too was trying to watch the NFL.com game and it's just horrible.

With youtube I let the red bar load fully but it's still sluggish. Audio is perfect.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 11-21-2008, 03:13 AM

I don't watch football, but I just went to the website for you guys. Plays fine for me, but does have the CPU at 80+%. If you have anything running in the background I would turn it off and try again.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 11-21-2008, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I killed every nonessential process and tried again, CPU is at 80+% (which is normal, I think)...the video is still choppy with a framerate of about 1/2 a frame per second.

The same website plays fine on my two desktops and my old Inspiron 8200 through the same internet connection...I've got the latest Flash plugin, and I've tried it in IE, Firefox, and Chrome...none of them play it properly.

I will reiterate that the problem is only with "high quality" Flash video...regular Youtube videos play fine.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 11-21-2008, 09:05 PM

I don't know how the flash player works.
Does it cache the video on the hard drive? Why don't you try making a ramdisk and tell the player to put it there?
just throwing out ideas. hopefully don't sound completely stupid.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 11-22-2008, 04:25 AM

Just tried to watch an episode on South Park Zone and for the first 5 minutes it the video was a tick behind the audio then it stopped for about 3 seconds to buffer and then from there on it was pretty good. Not silky smooth but dang close. Certainly watchable and probably not noticable to somebody not aware of the problem.

So,I don't know. One thing I tried is to right click on a video and when those little settings pop up i go to the one about how much space is the application allowed to use and I slide it to unlimited.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm still very frustrated at the performance of Flash video on the Mini...

With no non-essential processes running, the standard resolution videos on hulu.com are choppy. The HD videos are awful. Yet, they play fine on my three other computers...including an OLD Pentium III 500MHz with 128MB of RAM and 8MB video card (don't ask why I still have that thing!!).

So, I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone might have any more suggestions on how to tweak flash settings, or perhaps even an alternative to Adobe's Flash decoder to try...or any insight into HOW Flash video is decoded (alternative codecs, etc).

I am certain that this CPU and GPU are CAPABLE of playing the video because as I said in an earlier post, I can play full resolution 720p HD videos in .MOV format with absolute perfection.

My guess is that somewhere there is a setting or a decoder that is not playing well with the Atom CPU.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

OK...finally some progress.

If I go to hulu.com and try to play a video, it is choppy in Firefox, IE, and Chrome. But, if I extract the URL for that video and play it back in Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player, it plays PERFECTLY. No glitches whatsoever and full smooth framerate.

So, the question is WHY does the video play perfectly in MPC and WMP, but will simply not play in any browser, nor in the standalone Hulu Media Player program?

I think I'm almost there...
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Any update? I'm guess it's because of the low SSD write bandwidth.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Choppy Video - 12-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdude
Any update? I'm guess it's because of the low SSD write bandwidth.
It definitely isn't speedy...but I can stream other kinds of video fine so I'm pretty sure it is a Flash issue. I think what it comes down to is that Adobe has given us no options (apparently) for changing the buffering/cache settings when playing Flash videos. If we could simply increase the cache, I think Flash videos would play smoothly.

I have tried downgrading as low as Flash 8 and there is no difference in browser playback.