Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#21) Old

Default 06-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakmyster View Post
in my opinion i think the problem is due to the lack of the heat pads on the runcore that make it hot. in the post about upgrading the hard drive, the poster recommended taking the stec's heat pad and putting it on the ssd and it sounded like a good claim. but then later on in that thread sum1 said its not worth it. now i would like all of your suggestions as to what would be the most reasonable way to minimize heat from the mini. i was actually thinking of buying maybe better quality heat pads and putting them on. but i dont know where to begin and also i dont want to take of the heat pad from my stec because im going to use that on my wifes mini.
The heat pads don't "soak up" heat, they transfer heat away from your hard drive toward the outer portions of the netbook. The fact that the casing is unbearably hot for your lap indicates that your heat pads are working well. If you switch over to better i.e. "more efficient" heat transfer pads you will only be exacerbating this problem.

The solutions you should be looking for are 1) reduce the amount of heat generated by the ssd and 2) heat dissipation through convection (air flow) rather than conduction.
  (#22) Old

Default 06-23-2009, 09:49 PM

I also do have a hot Runcore. Can it be the reason of function failure using OS X?
  (#23) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM

dang,i was thinking to upgrade to runcore but after reading all these heating problems....
well if the DM9 is hot and its winter it doesn't bother me =]
but for the rest of the seasons...
so what solution really works
a cooling station?
some pads?
other ideas?
  (#24) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 09:59 PM

This Antec Notebook Cooler works awesome with my Vostro A90. I have a 64GB RunCore ... and it ran pretty hot too ... The Antec will keep your Mini nice and cool also.

It sucks the air down and spreads it out along the lower sides of the cooler.

Kevin
  (#25) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 06:18 PM

DellsFan, how noisy is that pad? I'd like to get some type of cooling pad, but if it's going to be noisy and bulky...it kind of defeats the purpose of having such a portable and quiet netbook.

Anyone running a passive cooling pad of some sort?

Pink Dell Mini 9 - 32g Runcore - 2g Ram - Bluetooth - Wireless Might Mouse all on OSX
  (#26) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp_pv View Post
DellsFan, how noisy is that pad? I'd like to get some type of cooling pad, but if it's going to be noisy and bulky...it kind of defeats the purpose of having such a portable and quiet netbook.

Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2GB Kingston RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3mp Webcam | Transcend 16GB SDHC | Kawau Micro SD Card Reader | Polaroid 16GB Micro SDHC | Windows XP | Ridic Graphics Skin | Logitech V450 Nano
  (#27) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
how noisy is that pad? I'd like to get some type of cooling pad, but if it's going to be noisy and bulky...it kind of defeats the purpose of having such a portable and quiet netbook.
I bought that exact same model for my wife's Powerbook G4 about a year ago. It's very quiet, and can be powered from a USB port. But while smallish when compared to some other cooling pads, it's larger than the Mini 9.
  (#28) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 07-30-2009, 10:26 PM

I've got a DM9 running W7 7100, 2GB RAM and 64GB Runcore. Running any number of CPU-intensive applications definitely increases the heat I feel from both above the keyboard and below.

As for heat dissipation not only do I use a biscuit tin as a case for my Mini9, but the metal lid (which is placed so the laptop is on top, with a gap between the table and top of the tin) probably has helped somewhat with heat management.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#29) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:

What jetkins said. Very quiet, but larger than your Mini. I use one with my XBOX 360 too.

I would not recommend one of those "passive" chill mats. These are great on a Macbook, where no vents exist at the bottom anyway. However, your Mini vents partially at the bottom. Block the vents with one of these, and (although some heat dissipates through the keyboard) I'm thinking you'd do more harm than good.

If you like passive solutions, try those rubber-adhesive laptop riser pads or feet to increase the distance from the flat surface upon which the Mini would rest. More distance = more air likely to exchange heat at the bottom.

Good luck!

Kevin
  (#30) Old
Administrator

Default 07-30-2009, 11:59 PM

I have a "passive chill mat". It actually works quite well for a short time, but after a while, it can't dissipate the heat and just makes things worse.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10