Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Cracked display - 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Personally, I think anytime interaction with, or action from, Dell is required, it is going to be a losing experience. If you isolate the product from the company, it is a great product. But when you pair the product with the company, the rating drops considerably. Doesn't bode well for Dell, but I think they still sell too much to care about their customer's experiences. I wish that wasn't the case, but have yet to experience anything--at least on the consumer side--which would prove otherwise. And they are far too layered to pass that sentiment on to anyone that can do anything about it.

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#12) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Re: Cracked display - 11-05-2008, 11:04 PM

In my experience with all customer service from any large company, I find e-mail feedback is pointless, I rarely get a response.

Bet bet is with instant way of communication - online chat, ringing them up or my parent's preferred method of showing up to the company's nearest administration office and requesting to see a manager in person (this method got my household a significantly discounted internet connection after a few weeks of being disconnected).

EDIT: This might be a bit of a cynical thing to say, but I wouldn't mind if my laptop showed on my doorstep trashed/cracked. At least I'd be able to get a full refund from Dell. Yes I am still pissed off over the £176.25 :-P

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#13) Old

Lightbulb Re: Cracked display - 11-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Late yesterday my wife received a telephone call from Dell. They were very nice and are shipping out a replacement mini instead of a repair part.

"Germanium" Jack
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Cracked display - 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Buhuuu! Same happened to me. I used my mini at work and when I came home, there was a huge crack in the display. Anyone knows it the touchscreen-mods include a new glass? Sounds cheaper and cooler than a repair.

/Anders
  (#15) Old

Angry Re: Cracked display - 11-25-2008, 12:50 PM

As of today (November 25th) the replacement unit order status still shows that it is "in production."

I guess that these little things turned out to be a lot more popular than they thought, since it looks like they might be having to work at keeping up with the demand. There is one good thing about it. It means that there will be a LOT of us out here to share ideas, and that's a good thing. In the mean time, I'm typing this on using an external monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse on my mini.

"Germanium" Jack

"Germanium" Jack
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Cracked display - 11-27-2008, 10:19 PM

Hello

Sorry to also Hi-jack this thread - but I've been looking for people with a similar experience to me :!:

I have had my Mini 9 for about 3 weeks now and this morning, opened up the screen, did a bit of surfing, etc - I then partially closed it and got off the train, opened it up and I don't really know what happened, but next thing I know I look down and the screen has a big crack in the display across it. I'm guessing there are weak points around the plastic of the screen as it was from the right hand side that the crack noise came from and where the damage seems to start from.

I'm absolutely gutted. Dell have quoted around £169 + VAT to repair it. My insurance company can take it away and assess - but I'm just not happy overall.

I know these things aren't supposed to stand a lot of pressure - but surely something that is supposed to be "portable" and to be carried everywhere could handle the day to day usage its going to get! I've never had other laptops do this after holding or opening them in a similar fashion!

The repair is nearly as expensive as buying a new one - its ridiculous!
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Cracked display - 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM

Ouch! Maybe it's a good thing that mine arrived already broken. They just cancelled the previous replacement order and issued an updated one since it has taken so long. I'll keep you posted, but it looks like they are on top of it.

"Germanium" Jack

"Germanium" Jack
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Cracked display - 12-04-2008, 12:52 PM

And don't forget, it only takes 4 weeks to get the replacement screen! Crap!
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Cracked display - 12-08-2008, 04:46 PM

I am still waiting on the exchange system to ship.

"Germanium" Jack

"Germanium" Jack
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Cracked display - 12-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Dell called today. ANOTHER three weeks for the replacement to ship. This is dragging on long enough that my enthusiasm is definitely fading. In the mean time, I'm working on selecting an upgrade path for my company. Has anyone here had any luck with HP servers?

"Germanium" Jack

"Germanium" Jack