Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Thanks MrD. And BTW, I'm an expert at playing dumb; I've been married for over 25 years.
  (#12) Old

Default 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Well I called Dell tech support and they insist that because the HDD shows up, it is a software problem. They send me to Ubuntu, I hang up. I call back to tell them I still think it's hardware and it doesn't make sense to send me back to Ubuntu because I was running OSX on it. He then procedes to tell me that it voids the warranty! Great!
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 09-03-2009, 11:40 PM

We did warn you about that...

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 09-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
We did warn you about that...
Who warned me that it would void the warranty? It's a big PITA for me to reinstall Ubuntu since I don't have an external drive. And since mrdavis has the exact same problem, and did reinstall Ubuntu yet they still determined it was a hardware problem (and sent him a new SSD) I was trying to avoid going through another hour of troubleshooting with Ubuntu .
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

I warned you that if you mentioned OS X they'd tell you it was unsupported. You have to understand the way these sort of support calls go - they have a script and try to find any way possible to get you off the phone. Once you've admitted that you are not running a Dell-supported OS, they really have no idea what the problem is and can't go through their normal checklists.

Since the BIOS can see the drive and the OS can't, it's understandable that the CSR might assume it's the OS. You'll have to spend the extra time to reproduce the problem under a supported OS and then call back.

Steve
  (#16) Old

Default 09-05-2009, 01:29 PM

I went through their routine twice and I mentioned only OSX as a last resort . No matter what I said, they kept sending me to Ubuntu. Dell knows full well that people are running OSX on these netbooks and are selling more of them because of it, so I didn't think it would be that big an issue. I also found a thread where a member was going on and on about how this does not void the warranty.

Anyway, I bought an external CD drive and tried to reinstall Ubuntu. It installs, then restarts and I get the same message. I have 2 other Mini9's running OSX without any problems. Right now I have a $350 paperweight .
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default 09-05-2009, 02:25 PM

I would say that the CSR was mistaken about "voiding your warranty", but I think you are mistaken in thinking that, just because "Dell" knows that people are running OS X on the 9 that they have told their support staff to just overlook that. As I mentioned, the CSRs cannot provide diagnostic suggestions for an unsupported OS. If you can reproduce the problem under Ubuntu, then they can help.

Now that you have tried that, you can call back.

Steve
  (#18) Old

Default 09-05-2009, 04:11 PM

ok so i am having the same problem, with runcore running osx and stock ssd with default xp, and nether will boot. after being on the phone for 2hrs and being transferred 7 times was told i had to send it to dell and they will reinstall the xp for me, Lets see if this works. Great start to a saturday morning!
  (#19) Old

Default 09-05-2009, 05:24 PM

At this point whenever I call Dell my call is automatically re-directed to a recording that tells my to go to the Ubuntu website. The fact that it won't even re-install Ubuntu says there is a hardware problem with this thing.

I've purchased a few Dell laptops oover the years and most of them had a problem in the first month or so, always hardware. Then I spend a great deal of my free time trying to diagnose the problem, just like this. I will never, ever buy another Dell product .
  (#20) Old

Default All of a sudden ... mine, too. - 09-11-2009, 05:10 AM

Same message pops up after a blue screen memory to HD dump runs it's course. So far every time this has happened the Mini 9 has been very hot. I did install core temp program but it seems the heat comes on quickly.

I've updated all the drivers Dell options as new (mine was one of the first Mini's sold) and I've dumped any new software as I suspect something is operating even while hibernating. I used to be able to leave the computer in hibernation all day without problem ... this is new. Oh yeah, luckily I had just extended my warranty.

Any ideas before I spend a few hours on the phone?